What we are doing to help the children affected by Katrina

Help Support CattleToday:

cajun critter

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is what my company is sending out to as many organizations and companies as possible. The children we deal with are already very low income, and many of them have now lost even more. If any of you know of a Church or civic group, club, etc. that is looking for some way to directly help the children affected by hurricane Katrina, please copy this and forward it to them. We really do appreciate anything we receive, and no gift is too small. we will also be distributing these items to families living in the shelters. Before this storm I was a "home visitor" and did parent / child education in individual homes. Now, I will be going to various shelters myself to help bring supplies, toys, and games, and to spend time there entertaining the children. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to keep your sanity while trying to keep up with your children in a shelter setting Please feel free to contact me here, through a PM, or at work if you have any questions or need further information.

Thanks,
Angie

Dear Sir or Madam;

I am writing on behalf of Regina Coeli Child Development Center in Robert, Louisiana. http://www.rccdc.org

Regina Coeli Child Development Center (RCCDC) is a private, non-profit corporation, which operates sixteen Head Start and Early Head Start programs in southeast Louisiana. The programs provide high-quality, comprehensive early childhood services to approximately 1600 children and employ over 350 staff in a six-parish area. Regina Coeli Child Development Center was founded in 1969, and it has been recognized as one of the best Head Start programs in the country.

RCCDC centers operate in St. Tammany, Washington, Livingston, St. Helena, Ascension, and Tangipahoa parishes, many of which were greatly affected by hurricane Katrina. As a result of this devastating storm we are redirecting our resources in order to serve as many displaced children as possible. Along with our usual Head Start population of 3-5 year olds, we will now be servicing children from birth through age 6 in nine of our Head Start centers. Although we do operate five Early Head Start programs, our budget is not sufficient to provide all needed supplies for the additional infants we anticipate serving. We are requesting donations of baby supplies, diapers, formula, baby beds, pack-n-plays, baby wipes, bottles, disposable changing pads, bath products, etc. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

You may contact us directly by phone at 985-318-8800
or fax us at 985-318-8804.
All contributions should be directed to:

RCCDC Administrative Office
Judith W. Loyd, Executive Director
22476 HWY 190
Robert, LA 70455

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Angela Cavalier
Disaster Relief Coordinator
Regina Coeli Child Development Center

I know the Convoy of Hope based in Springfield Mo, does alot for diaster victims, in taking semi's full of helpful items. I know they have many drop off points around where we live, maybe other cities or states to, they may be someone to contact. I don't know there number, but I think they are on the web, or call info for Springfield, MO area code 417. Also maybe the Red Cross can help also. Good luck! :) And keep up the good work!

I havent been keeping up with all of that mess and I do feel bad about the childrens...but I have a question... I saw on Tv where there were so many small childrens separated from there parents..they knew a big storm was coming..school was closed..peopel were off from work. How in the heck were so many *parents* separated from there kids?? I hope Im wrong but I have to wonder if its not because they just didnt give a goldurn about em

Thanks for the lead GMN.

And tapeworm, it is a very sad situation that a lot of these kids are in. I know exactly what you mean about those "parents" :( . But please, remember that those kind represent but a few of the evacuees. Most of the nearly 1 million people displaced statewide are decent, hard working people who obeyed the evacuation orders and got their entire family out together.

We have 140 evacuee children being integrated into our school system on Monday morning.

Walmart donated $400 worth of backpacks to the schools and they were still 4 short. Our 4-H club bought the remaining 4 needed from another store in town.

When they announced that there were 540 of the expected 900 evacuees coming in people started making donations and within twelve hours more than enough had been collected in town for the 540 that arrived.

We saw a few of them at Walmart purchasing supplies Wednesday evening. All we could do was smile and tell them that we were glad they were here and safe. They just smiled back and one responded that they had been blessed to have been brought to our community.

Mind you, we kids were raised not to be prejudiced but I have to say that it sure takes a little getting used to seeing a another color of the human rainbow in our town and I am not saying that's a bad thing. We have the Cherokee Nation right on the other side of the state line, and a HUGE population of hispanics in the area, even more than a few Hmong, but very few (boy am I going to get in trouble for not being PC) blacks.... Those that we do have are mainly attached to JBU.

It's got to be disorienting to be tossed into a culture so unlike the one that you've lived in... just have to say a prayer that everyone will find a comfortable place to fit in regardless of if they are here temporarily or permanently.

One of the men from our church called me earlier in the week and asked me if any of my clients could use a cook from a seafood restaurant. The anwer that I got back from one of my clients was affirmative. I am still in the process of getting all the info to the right place and finding a way for this man to get from the campgrounds to the restaurant.

Sorry to be so long winded :oops:

I just heard from an old USMC buddy of my husband who lives in Colorado. He and his wife are getting his employer and their church involved, looks like more people in their community are wanting to help in some way, too. And I'm so thankful that some very much needed diaper rash ointment (lots of heat and wet conditions down here lately) will be on its way this week :D

Latest posts