What was your 1st job and how much $ did you make?

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember delivering the newspaper when I was about 7 years old - helped my older brothers - every day right after school and Sunday morn about 4 am - paid about 5 bucks a week if memory serves me. Took over the route at about 12 did that along with other odd jobs until I was about 15-16.
I also mowed lawns, raked leaves, washed walls , whatever it took. I was also the kid who bought his own car at 16 years old!
I have been working ever since - don't think I want to stop.
tom

When I was about 10 (late 1940's) picked cotton for a couple days for 1/2 cents a pound...

When I was about 14 or so, helped with neighbor's wheat harvest (drove grain truck, etc.) for .50 an hour.

When I was 13, 1973, worked in the grocery store on sundays from 9 am to 4 pm..... cleared $9.04 .... I worked about 20 hours week during the summer but when school started in the fall I only worked on sundays. I think pay was around $1.15 hour

The neighbor across the road owned a Thermo King shop...I swept the shop and did simple mechanic work....started at 50 cents per hour.
First Ag job was haying. A friend put together a crew, her, her boyfriend, me and my friend. 25 cents a bail from the field stacked in the barn. Thought that it was good money but soon learned that her truck took a full share of the pay and grocery money was deducted from everyone except the truck.
The hardest I think that I ever worked and loved it. Think that I brought home $250.00 that summer...1964.
Today I pay to have hay bucked in the barn.
DMc

My dad owned a welding shop, so I could run a rod better than most adults before starting to school. The first outside "paying" job (at 12) was at the local burger joint...$0.50 per hour on Saturdays where I peeled 150 lbs of potatos and 50 lbs of onions...smelled like onions the rest of the week! :(

When the pizza place opened, I moved up in the world rapidly. Took tha job at $0.90 per hour and at the end of the first week the owner liked my work so much, raised me to a $1.00. At that time, I wondered how all the poor people were getting by... :D

Van

Shoveled snow off of sidewalks for .25 cents a walk and .50 cents for the driveway.

Then I hit it big babysitting for .50 cents an hour and mucking stalls at .50 cents a stall.

Looong time ago.

Katherine

What was first? I can't remember. Soda bottles were 3 cents and we picked up a bunch. We thought we were going to get rich when they went to a nickel. We mowed lawns, sold worms, including Catawba (sp?) worms and earth worms, picked berries, washed cars. Work around the house and out in the barn was a given.

When I was about 12 they were paying 12 cents a bale to haul hay to the barn. Kids with trucks got most of the money but you could help for 3 cents a bale, if you were lucky enough.

On Saturdays we used to go to the coffee shop and "hire out". We'd paint fence, pull weeds from flower beds, hoe gardens, drag brush to brush piles - all kinds of things. You never knew what you were going to do. Folks would come to the coffee shop and get a couple of us boys to do chores. We learned a lot doing those things.

There is no way you could do that with kids these days.

first part time job was at a spaghetti joint for $3.35/hr during high school. Graduated and 3 days later went into new const plumbing for $5.50/hr. Still doin it today 17 years later. Boy time sure flew by.

backhoeboogie":d1ex3xec said:
We mowed lawns, sold worms, including Catawba (sp?) worms and earth worms, picked berries, washed cars.

Catalpa? Great fishin' worms. Had no idea they grew in Texas. The tree I'm thinking of has a seed pod like a 7" cigar.

john250":zl9cgu2m said:
backhoeboogie":zl9cgu2m said:
We mowed lawns, sold worms, including Catawba (sp?) worms and earth worms, picked berries, washed cars.

Catalpa? Great fishin' worms. Had no idea they grew in Texas. The tree I'm thinking of has a seed pod like a 7" cigar.

That's the ones probably. Used to throw those seed pods at my sisters. We had three trees in the yard. My maternal Grandad planted some around his fishing pond too. Seems like we used to store them in corn meal in the frig.

Shoveled chickenshit for dollar an hour during the summer. My football coach called the house and wanted to know why I hadnt been to the gym to work out... said I was putting my starting position in jepordy by not showing up... My Dad, a man of few words told coach to fly a kite and that I would be in shape.... Got back to school....and lol... didnt hear a word out of the head coach

10, 11, 12 years old worked summers traveling with my Uncle and Cousin who Peddled Tomato's I would load and unload the boxes for them at each stop ($50.00 a week plus Expenses)

13-14 was in bad wreck was in and out of hospital could do no work ($0)

15 Summer Job at a different Uncles Produce House ($3.35 Per Hour)

16 worked summer Job for Conservation Corp, cut wood and hauled hay ($3.35 an Hour)

17-20 worked part-time for a local Janitor Company through my senior year in High school and Two years of college ($3.50 an hour)

21-42 My first full time job was working for myself, started a cleaning business at 21 years old and employed 5 employees my first day. Still going.

I did the lawn mowing stuff as kid but my first real paying job at 14 was moving building blocks (8x8x16)from the road to where they needed them by hand. $.75/hr.

Next real paying job was running a tractor for a very large ranch at 16. Don't remember the pay. I just enjoyed being on the ranch and running a tractor.

Never got an allowance. Help my Dad and Grandpa bale hay on shares. Started driving the pickup vehicle as I couldn't lift the bales. I was 10. Graduated to bale lifter by 12. Like Dun I got 3 hots and a cot for my pay.

flaboy-":1hvdv5pq said:
Never got an allowance. Help my Dad and Grandpa bale hay on shares. Started driving the pickup vehicle as I couldn't lift the bales. I was 10. Graduated to bale lifter by 12. Like Dun I got 3 hots and a cot for my pay.

Allowances were for rich kids. Rich kids were the ones that didn;t wear hand me downs and didn;t have any real chores or work to do. There mothers also actually "bought" there clothes instead of making them herself.

dun

I never got an allowance from my parents, but I remember my grandpa would fold up a dollar or two on occasion and slip them to me when no one was around. I never asked for a dime, but he'd always say "Now don't tell your parents, just put this in your pocket." That was 20 some years ago and I've still got a sock filled with folded up dollar bills. I miss him.

cfpinz

flaboy-":ljv002mp said:
I did the lawn mowing stuff as kid but my first real paying job at 14 was moving building blocks (8x8x16)from the road to where they needed them by hand. $.75/hr.

Next real paying job was running a tractor for a very large ranch at 16. Don't remember the pay. I just enjoyed being on the ranch and running a tractor.

So, when did you and Crowder start in the adult entertainment business? That was you and him in some of those pictures back a few months ago - wasn't it? And I thought Paint was your all's bookie agent - or is he just your bookie? LOL!!!

dun":kovyc1bi said:
flaboy-":kovyc1bi said:

Allowances were for rich kids. Rich kids were the ones that didn;t wear hand me downs and didn;t have any real chores or work to do. There mothers also actually "bought" there clothes instead of making them herself.

dun

I wore my older brothers clothes each new school year. I remember one summer I needed work boots to work in. They became my school shoes when school started also. I pair a year was the rule.

flaboy-":ass7obk5 said:
I wore my older brothers clothes each new school year. I remember one summer I needed work boots to work in. They became my school shoes when school started also. I pair a year was the rule.

I was the third boy so other then underwear and socks a lot of my stuff was third hand. Once I got to growing slower I got newer stuff since the older bros had worn out most of the stuff by the time it got to me. But most of the clothes my mother still made from scratch.
Ah, the good old days when stuff would last long enough to get your money out of it.

dun

Latest posts