What was your 1st job and how much $ did you make?

Help Support CattleToday:

I did lots of work on the farm. Throwing bales, driving tractors and such. I used to get $5 a week for allowance. My first real job was hoeing at a tree nursery for about $3.50 an hour. It was an all man crew. Guess the women didn't like being called 'hoers'. :lol:

The first place i worked was on a golf course. I raked sand traps every morning and cut grass the rest of the day. I wrecked the tractor bushhogging in the pines and had to keep cutting with a sling blade untill they fixed the tractor. I never wrecked the tractor again. I learned to take care of a tractor that summer.

My 1st real job was an "administrative assistant" for a construction company where my Dad was Foreman and my almost-grandpa (Dad and his son grew up together - long family history) was the superintendant. I did all the paperwork, timesheets, ordering, payroll, ect. I was the only female on the whole site and Dad and grandpa-Dan watched over me real close. I was 16 and I think I made somewhere around $8.00/hour. It was a fun job and I learned a lot too.

Went to work for a neighbor stacking "idiot cube" bales- after I'd stacked all Dads for nothing...Throw them on and stack on an old 2 Ton International flatbed - then haul them to the stack and stack them- worked with the neighbors hired man and got paid $.03 a bale which we had to split amongst us.. Made about $10 day usually- $15 on a really good day where you didn't have far to haul...Next year we got $.04 a bale- really big money....

The first full time summer job I had was riding for the grazing association...Paid the cowboys $300 a month ($10 day)- but since I furnished several horses and my own pickup and stockrack I got $15 a day....Thought I'd hit the motherload :roll: :lol:

First 40 hour a week job was at a landscaping company, about 4.75 an hour.

cfpinz

was 12 years old when I took on babysitting that summer, full-time, 2 little girls (adorable and well behaved) for $1 an hour!! Not much pocket change, but paid for my own school clothes that following fall!!
My first nursing job was here in Ennis and it paid $7.50 and hour......12 years ago!! Making double that now, but the cost of insurance has gobbled up the difference!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I "rode" beans. It was a contraption on the front of the tractor for 4 people and we would spray roundup on the weeds. I think I got $5, a good wage in the 80's for a high school kid. It was easy work and I got a good tan (only on the front though) :)

In college I was a waitress, a job I really liked and got paid $2 an hour and then taxes were taken out of that! I got good tips though.

I also started out at about 10 picking strawberries and raspberries for about 40 cents a crate. Blueberries for 4 cents a pound. First hourly paid job was shoveling chicken manure at the chicken hatchery for $1.25 an hour.
Dave

Besides the usual farm jobs, putting in and taking out tobacco, feeding and caring for hogs, driving cows, stacking hay, pulling weeds, etc., my first hourly job was for 1.65/hr. as a cook at Hardee's in Statesboro, Ga. early 70's. Thanks for asking Gate Opener. :)

I loaded trucks for a wholesale grocery company when I was in college. Seems like I made about $5 an hour for 20 hrs. Other than that, I've been an apprentice farmer all my life.

$2.00 a week working in my dads hog barns.Thought I was in heaven when I finally got a job for $50 a week running a hay sloop at the neighbors. Best part of the job was his 3 teenage daughters that took turns running the tractor. :lol:

frenchie":2js8dvvb said:
Best part of the job was his 3 teenage daughters that took turns running the tractor. :lol:

Been there for $3.50 an hour haling hay eventhough he had only two running the trucks back and forth.

First job was in an egg packing plant in upstate N.Y.
Stood at the end of a conveyer all day while the cartons kept comming down the line. Had to pack the cartons into the bigger boxes for shipping. The bosses would set up in the overhead room and speed the darn conveyer up until you could hardly keep up. They would alway's try to get it just a little bit faster. boy I hated that job.... Long time ago..

I thought an allowance was 3 hots and a cot. Never got paid at home for doing what was expected.

dun

Never got paid at home.

When I went to school at Auburn Univ. was my first outside job.

Got paid $1.30 an hour plus all the milk, butter, and ice cream I could eat. Thought I was in heaven.

Dug ditches for my Dad's irrigation business and don't remember any set amount of pay. Would give me some money at the end of the week.

First outside job was at the local newspaper taking the papers off the press and inserting ads before sending them out to the paperboys. Earned something over $1/hr.

Chris

First outside job was for a few dollars an hour pulling weeds out of a cane patch. Couldn't use a hoe had to be pulled by hand - a miserable, hot, on your knees kind of job. Hated every minute of it.

In 1972 when I was in the 8th grade, my Dad came home and told me he found me a job working for the farmer who rented our place. Got $1.00/hour and thought I was making it rich.

Bobg

Latest posts