What to look for on EBV's

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie01

Reaction score
Not sure if they are called EBV's over sea's.

Whats does everyone look for on EBV's when purchasing stud cattle? (male and female cattle)

what parts of EBV's (low birth weight) are the most important to look for? I guess it depends on your target market, suggestion please.

I bought some bulls from a stud and they look at IMF on the EBV's

IMF: Intra Muscular Fat (IMF) % EBV indicates genetic differences between animals for intra muscular fat percentage (marbling in a standard 300 kg carcase. Sires with positive EBVs are expected to produce progeny with higher average marble scores.

Look for the traits you most want to improve in your cow herd.
I think most here work with EPDs (expected progeny difference) rather than ebvs (expected breeding value). Not sure, it gets hard to remember all the different versions of english sometimes.

I know with Angus, most work with EPDs. Which is the most important depends on a few things. Are you looking at a bull to bred heifers with. If so I would pay a lot of attention to BW. Are you looking for growth. If so I would pay a lot of attention to WW, YW and the spread. After that I look at the EPDs that I want to improve on.

Hey Charlie, there was a pic of a young bloke, name was Charlie, from Uralla looking at some sheep this week in The Land, I was wondering if it was you?
If your selling your calves as weaners, I would look for not too low BW, high 200day wt, reasonable milk.
Ken

wbvs58":35twn49w said:
Hey Charlie, there was a pic of a young bloke, name was Charlie, from Uralla looking at some sheep this week in The Land, I was wondering if it was you?
If your selling your calves as weaners, I would look for not too low BW, high 200day wt, reasonable milk.
Ken

hahaha yep thats me.

regolith":l51wj8t5 said:
Look for the traits you most want to improve in your cow herd.
I think most here work with EPDs (expected progeny difference) rather than ebvs (expected breeding value). Not sure, it gets hard to remember all the different versions of english sometimes.

As Gen Patton said during WWII about the British Empire and the United States. "We are two countries separated by a common language."

I did well picking up on that Charlie, you must have a nice place there, I drove through Uralla and Walcha a couple of months ago on the way to Taree to pick up a tractor, beautifull country. Are you looking after the cattle side of things?
On the EBV's, I mostly sell calves straight off the mothers at about 8mths, so early growth is important to me, however I still keep an eye on the carcase EBV's as it is important to have repeat buyers competing for my calves, so if they have a good experience they are confident to go just that bit higher.
Ken

wbvs58":2b154m7l said:
I did well picking up on that Charlie, you must have a nice place there, I drove through Uralla and Walcha a couple of months ago on the way to Taree to pick up a tractor, beautifull country. Are you looking after the cattle side of things?
On the EBV's, I mostly sell calves straight off the mothers at about 8mths, so early growth is important to me, however I still keep an eye on the carcase EBV's as it is important to have repeat buyers competing for my calves, so if they have a good experience they are confident to go just that bit higher.
Ken

haha yeah the rain has made the season perfect, to much grass. Yeah I look after the cattle side of things.

By the way do you know anyone that is in need of some quality merino rams. sounding desperate but I think we need to broaden or client base and since your in QLD.

Ok thanks that helps

Latest posts