What to do with land if the cattle industry collapsed?

Help Support CattleToday:

JParrott

Reaction score
I'm not a fear monger or a tinfoil hat wearing type. However, there have been a couple of times in the past where technology and society has been on the verge of change and while I haven't been bitten by it - I discounted the writing on the wall either through ignorance, fear, or a bit of both. I browse Reddit and saw this https://www.rethinkx.com/food-and-agriculture posted. I think it's sensationalist and nonsense, but it begs the question of what to do with cattle and land that may become worth much less in the next twenty years in rural areas like many of us live?

What would (could) you do with property that won't grow crops but costs too much to maintain in order to raise livestock profitably?

Any other thoughts are welcome I suppose. While I don't think this scenario will play out like the link and below, I think discounting the economic impact of demand by people who think differently, live in urban areas, and are going to be the ones in control of certain areas as time passes is akin to sticking ones head in the sand. I don't worry about things I can't control too much, but I'd welcome other peoples thoughts on the subject.

Industry Impacts

By 2030, the number of cows in the U.S. will have fallen by 50%. Production volumes of the U.S. beef and dairy industries and their suppliers will be cut by more than half.
By 2030, the market for ground beef by volume will have shrunk by 70%, the steak market by 30% and the dairy market by almost 90%. The markets for other cow products (leather, collagen, etc.) are likely to decline by more than 90%. In total, demand for cow products will fall by 70%.
By 2030, the U.S. dairy and cattle industries will have collapsed, leaving only local specialty farms in operation.
By 2035, demand for cow products will fall by 80%-90% and U.S. beef and dairy industry (and their suppliers) revenues, at current prices, will be down nearly 90%.
Farmland values will collapse by 40%-80%.
The volume of crops needed to feed cattle in the U.S. will fall by 50% from 155 million tons in 2018 to 80 million tons in 2030, causing cattle feed production revenues, at current prices, to fall by more than 50% from 60 billion in 2019 to less than $30 billion in 2030.
All other livestock industries including fisheries will follow cattle and suffer similar disruptions, while the knock-on effects for throughout the value chain will be severe.

Food Cost Savings:

The cost of modern foods and products will be at least 50% and as much as 80% lower than the animal products they replace, which will translate into substantially lower prices and increased disposable incomes. The average U.S. family will save more than $1,200 a year in food costs, keeping an additional $100bn a year in Americans' pockets by 2030.
Jobs Lost and Gained:

Half of the 1.2 million jobs in U.S. beef and dairy production (including supply chain), along with their associated industries, will be lost by 2030, climbing toward 90% by 2035.
The emerging U.S. modern foods industry will create at least 700,000 jobs by 2030 and up to 1 million jobs by 2035.

Land Use and Environmental Impacts:

Modern foods will be far more efficient than animal-derived products: Up to 100 times more land efficient, 10-25 times more feedstock efficient, 20 times more time efficient, and 10 times more water efficient than industrial livestock. They will also produce an order of magnitude less waste.
By 2035, 60% of the land currently used for livestock and feed production will be freed for other uses. These 485 million acres equate to 13 times the size of Iowa, an area almost the size of the Louisiana Purchase. If all this land were dedicated to maximize carbon sequestration, all current sources of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions could be fully offset by 2035.
U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from cattle will drop by 60% by 2030, on course to nearly 80% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net emissions from the sector as a whole will decline by 45% by 2030, on course to 65% by 2035.
Water consumption in cattle production and associated feed cropland irrigation will fall by 50% by 2030, on course to 75% by 2035. Even when the modern food production that replaces animal agriculture is included, net water consumption in the sector as a whole will decline by 35% by 2030, on course to 60% by 2035.
Oil demand from the U.S. agriculture industry (currently 150 million barrels of oil equivalent a year) will fall by at least 50% by 2030.

Health & Food Security:

Nutritional benefits could have profound impact on health, particularly conditions such as heart disease, obesity, cancer, and diabetes that are estimated to cost the U.S. $1.7 trillion each year. The way they are produced should also ensure a sharp reduction in foodborne illness.
The modern food system will be decentralized and therefore more stable and resilient, thereby increasing food security.

Geopolitical Implications:

Trade relations and geopolitics will shift due to a decentralized food production system.
Any country will be able to capture the opportunities associated with a global industry worth hundreds of billions of dollars.

Back in the mid 70's they had me convinced we had an energy crisis. I bought in lock, stock and barrel. Waited in lines to buy gasoline for the car. They told me my children would not drive modern automobiles; now my grandkids are driving them.

soothsayers will always spout off doom and gloom. They fooled me back then. I hope to never be that gullible ever again.

I suspect soil health will decline when animals are removed and no nutrient cycling is taking place. Large areas will turn to scrub and die until lightening hits it and burns releasing more carbon than a small city.

America's obesity problem started in the late 70s. Beef consumption has been falling since the late 70s. Any connection?

shaz said:
America's obesity problem started in the late 70s. Beef consumption has been falling since the late 70s. Any connection?
Eating and working, go hand in hand...you quit either one, the others gonna suffer...

You rent it to the guy beside you that will keep running cattle indefinitely. Or maybe even sell it to him. I will be one of those guys. Then you can retire to the city and drink soy lattes while people tell you how much they hate their lives.

Txpiney said:
Sounds like an article written by animal rights activists. Just sayin

Worse.

RethinkX
Who we are:
Tony Seba
Tony Seba is a world-renowned thought leader, Silicon Valley entrepreneur, educator and the author of the Amazon #1 best-selling book Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation: How Silicon Valley Will Make Oil, Nuclear, Natural Gas, Coal, Electric Utilities and Conventional Cars Obsolete by 2030.

James Arbib
James Arbib is a London-based investor in technology. He is the founder of Tellus Mater, an independent philanthropic foundation dedicated to exploring the impacts of disruptive technology, and its potential for solving some of the world's most challenging problems. In addition, Jamie oversees a London-based family office with a diversified portfolio, across all asset classes and a focus on the risks and opportunities of technology disruption
They're part of the kewl kids that have never produced a damn thing in their lives.

greybeard said:
Txpiney said:
Sounds like an article written by animal rights activists. Just sayin

Worse.

RethinkX
Who we are:
Tony Seba
Tony Seba is a world-renowned thought leader, Silicon Valley entrepreneur, educator and the author of the Amazon #1 best-selling book Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation: How Silicon Valley Will Make Oil, Nuclear, Natural Gas, Coal, Electric Utilities and Conventional Cars Obsolete by 2030.

James Arbib
James Arbib is a London-based investor in technology. He is the founder of Tellus Mater, an independent philanthropic foundation dedicated to exploring the impacts of disruptive technology, and its potential for solving some of the world's most challenging problems. In addition, Jamie oversees a London-based family office with a diversified portfolio, across all asset classes and a focus on the risks and opportunities of technology disruption
They're part of the kewl kids that have never produced a be nice thing in their lives.

Yeah - the guy has made a living speculating. But, if he wasn't and had credentials or a career you respected would it change how you view the junk he's selling?

Great topic for discussion. Your link was gleaned from Reddit I believe. Reddit is where the youth(our future) go for information and communication. The info in the link, while some of it highly possible, is really just propaganda to manipulate the mindset of future generations. Farming is evil, cows are evil, agriculture is evil. 2030 is only 10 years away. People still need to eat and always will. What hurts this country is the large scale corporatization and globalization of agriculture. Our society has essentially bought in 100%. It appears we as a society are perfectly fine importing Mexican, and S. A. protein products. We have allowed our leadership to undermine and deplete what was once the backbone of this country...agriculture. We live a different lifestyle and have traded agriculture and manufacturing for a service/consumer based economy. That's a major fundamental problem as any economist will note. Our society no longer embraces the importance of agriculture; thinking has shifted. Largely in part to the guys who wrote the article and largely in part to ourselves for allowing our govt leaders to pimp us out. Supply and demand was exchanged for surplus and control

Great topic for discussion. Your link was gleaned from Reddit I believe. Reddit is where the youth(our future) go for information and communication. The info in the link, while some of it highly possible, is really just propaganda to manipulate the mindset of future generations. Farming is evil, cows are evil, agriculture is evil. 2030 is only 10 years away. People still need to eat and always will. What hurts this country is the large scale corporatization and globalization of agriculture. Our society has essentially bought in 100%. It appears we as a society are perfectly fine importing Mexican, and S. A. protein products. We have allowed our leadership to undermine and deplete what was once the backbone of this country...agriculture. We live a different lifestyle and have traded agriculture and manufacturing for a service/consumer based economy. That's a major fundamental problem as any economist will note. Our society no longer embraces the importance of agriculture; thinking has shifted. Largely in part to folks like the guys who wrote the article and largely in part to ourselves for allowing our govt leaders to pimp us out. Supply and demand was exchanged for surplus and control

It has already happened here .
The majority owned cattle as a sideline seeing lots of land put back in tree plantations.
The government will come and plant slash pine and long leaf.

The suburbanites outnumber the actual country folk big time. By country - I mean you have some AG activity. Living in a trailer park in the county doesn't count.
People have no understanding of land, animals and how these things work. They don't understand that a cow pasture is THE MOST sustainable thing we have. The yield sucks but I can produce year after year with low maintenance.

bball said:
Great topic for discussion. Your link was gleaned from Reddit I believe. Reddit is where the youth(our future) go for information and communication. The info in the link, while some of it highly possible, is really just propaganda to manipulate the mindset of future generations. Farming is evil, cows are evil, agriculture is evil. 2030 is only 10 years away. People still need to eat and always will. What hurts this country is the large scale corporatization and globalization of agriculture. Our society has essentially bought in 100%. It appears we as a society are perfectly fine importing Mexican, and S. A. protein products. We have allowed our leadership to undermine and deplete what was once the backbone of this country...agriculture. We live a different lifestyle and have traded agriculture and manufacturing for a service/consumer based economy. That's a major fundamental problem as any economist will note. Our society no longer embraces the importance of agriculture; thinking has shifted. Largely in part to folks like the guys who wrote the article and largely in part to ourselves for allowing our govt leaders to pimp us out. Supply and demand was exchanged for surplus and control

Every one complains about evil mega companies but they put the small businesses out of business by wanting the cheapest product they can buy.

It's already started with farming, ranching is on it's way... as is the O&G industry.

1866a418-c288-4d5a-b464-78d9a58ba150-KFC-Donuts-Sandwich.jpg

The amount of pessimism on this board never fails to amaze me. I am surrounded by people who make there living raising cattle and they never express the type of attitude that I see here.

Aaron said:
You rent it to the guy beside you that will keep running cattle indefinitely. Or maybe even sell it to him. I will be one of those guys. Then you can retire to the city and drink soy lattes while people tell you how much they hate their lives.

And the amount of estrogen hormones put into the man's system with drinking all those soy lattes, will turn all the men into pathetic excuses of a male with the more effeminate features coming out. Then there will be a population implosion as there will be no babies coming along so we will not have to worry about overpopulation in the world or having to limit family size as there will be next to no "families" since the men are no longer real men but have had their male hormone systems disrupted by the excess soy influenced estrogen..... and then the cancer rates will rise due to soy affecting the cancer growth explosion of the female reproduction tracts..... and on and on..... but by then they will have a cure for all that.....

Latest posts