What to do with F1 Tiger stripes

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3p5cuyhr said:
I wouldn't breed a Brahman cow to a char.bull period..

X2

ALACOWMAN I joined CT over the debate of what weans a heavier calf:
Char x Tiger or Angus x Tiger. At 6-8 months it is hard to find a lot of difference other than the Char sired calves have more bone. Somewhere around months 10-14 months the Char sired calf takes off and you can tell the obvious difference.

Where Bar M lives there are some registered Longhorn ranches and a lot of dairy cattle. That is why I said he would be better off with a Char x Tiger.

I can't deny the research, but its shocking to find out that A charlois doesnt wean bigger than the others.

Yea, I had a few charbray cows in the late 80's. They were too big even for my taste, and I like a big cow. They have brought the frame down some on the char since then, the Herefords have gotten bigger, so idk. I'd still think that a charlois/brahma steer would be big rascal at weaning.

Charolais and Brahman are the two slowest maturing breeds. Makes no sense putting them together. 50% Angus 25% Hereford 25% Brahman matures earlier and that is why they keep up with the Char calves for a while.

Yep..with breeds that compliment each other like the herf/bra does, then go back with a Charolais it makes a whole different animal...another one is Charolais over brangus... Both crosses will put more fat on em..then just having a lean rangy frame ...

WP_20151005_12_16_26_Pro_2_.jpg

About 200 head are gone due to pasture conditions. The Angus x Braford bred heifers sold private treaty were the first to go. They will outsell a pure black every day of the week.

Bigfoot":2xkwhgnz said:
I can't deny the research, but its shocking to find out that A charlois doesnt wean bigger than the others.

That is just on Brahman and F-1 tigers the best bull is a Hereford for that cow.
Problem there is red, all the English breeds wean a heavier calf on the F-1 Brimmer.
There is more hybrid vigor between English X Brahman cross.

Breed them only to Black Bulls. Calves will All be Black or Black Baldie {1/4 bloods}. Those 1/4 blood calves will top the market anywhere -- any other color you will be guaranteed docked at the market.

Plan on getting a few quality Brangus and run either full Angus or Hereford over for ultra blacks or black baldies. However I really want some F1 tiger stripes just not sure what would be the best to breed them with. What would be the recommendation if I was wanting to get replacements out of them? Also what would it be if I was going straight to market with the calf's? Thanks
You won't get tiger stripes breeding anything to a pure bred Brangus. The calves will be black. Your plan on using Angus for ultrablack is a good idea. If you wanted ultra black baldies, then I'd use a homo-for-blac, Black Hereford bull. The resulting baldy heifers, if you wanted to retain them, would then be homo for black, and always give you a black calf. A third option might be using a homo for black Simm bull, or homo for black bwf Simm bull. Honestly, for me, if I had a herd of Brangus cows, Black Simm bull would be my 1st choice, Angus 2nd, and Black Herford 3rd.

If you want to buy some f1 Herf/Brah tiger stripes, that would be your best bet. And the best and most common bull people use on them is black Angus. F1 Herf/brahma heifers will cost you, maybe $2k or more. A red or brindled ( tiger stripe) steer will bring a little more than a dairy cross steer will, if any. If you just have your heart set on raising your own f1 herf/Br, then buy some brahma cows and AI them with sexed Hereford semen.

Someone gave you some bad advise about using an f1 Herf/Brah bull. Never use any bull that is half one breed and half another. In an f1 Br/Herf bull, half his semen will be Hereford and half his semen will be Brahma. If you want to go that route, buy a registered (or at least pure bred) Braford bull. 100% of his semen will be Braford semen, and you'd consistently get black baldy eared calves. Since the Brangus is 3/8ths Brahma, and the Braford is 3/8ths Brahma, you wont get any more or any less ear. This man that buys all of his working cow horses from me, has a herd of about 50 registered Brangus cows . He also has another 80 or so...red Brangus, Santa Gertrudis, Braford, Beef Master and some Simbrah. He breeds them all to the same registered Branbgus bulls, and always get black polled calves. Except for some of the Braford and BM cows having a bwf calf every now and then, you can't tell which calves were pb Brangus and which were one of the crosses.

Latest posts