What to do with F1 Tiger stripes

Help Support CattleToday:

BarMRanch

Reaction score
Plan on getting a few quality Brangus and run either full Angus or Hereford over for ultra blacks or black baldies. However I really want some F1 tiger stripes just not sure what would be the best to breed them with. What would be the recommendation if I was wanting to get replacements out of them? Also what would it be if I was going straight to market with the calf's? Thanks

Either a Charolais bull or Angus bull will give you the calves buyers want in Amite and Baton Rouge.

Covington, huh? CHS class of 1987
JW

A little closer to Bush but I am younger than that, you probably know some of my uncles though. Family had a spread out on old military.

BarMRanch":bo83amr5 said:
I really want some F1 tiger stripes.... What would be the recommendation if I was wanting to get replacements out of them?
How about a F1 tiger striped bull to produce 2nd generation F1s? Preferably a F1 bull sired by the best of the dams sire
[maternal grandsire] or bloodline/bull similar to him for uniformity and intensifying those maternal traits.

Son of Butch":yunangda said:
BarMRanch":yunangda said:
I really want some F1 tiger stripes.... What would be the recommendation if I was wanting to get replacements out of them?
How about a F1 tiger striped bull to produce 2nd generation F1s? Preferably a F1 bull sired by the best of the dams sire
[maternal grandsire] or bloodline/bull similar to him for uniformity and intensifying those maternal traits.
I think its a bad idea, since you'll lost heterosis in that and the results will be inconsistent.

Granted it won't produce the most heterosis, but a back cross into the most desirable maternal line would certainly produce more desirable maternal consistency than 3 way cross replacement heifers or even a random F1 bull.
From what I hear there is always a strong demand for tiger stripe females in his area.
What would you suggest instead Muddy?

Son of Butch":wa9zz9mb said:
Granted it won't produce the most heterosis, but a back cross into the most desirable maternal line would certainly produce more desirable maternal consistency than 3 way cross replacement heifers.
From what I hear there is always a strong demand for tiger stripe females in his area.
What would you suggest instead Muddy?
Breed them back to a Hereford and/or angus for replacement heifers and acceptable market steers.

Son of Butch said:
Granted it won't produce the most heterosis, but a back cross into the most desirable maternal line would certainly produce more desirable maternal consistency than 3 way cross replacement heifers or even a random F1 bull.
From what I hear there is always a strong demand for tiger stripe females in his area. .....' There is for the F1's you lose some performance in the F2s which is why the F1s are so popular...and expensive..

We cross ours F1 Cows on Brangus, Charolais and Horned Hereford bulls. They throw some mighty fine replacement heifers off of all of them. I usually sell them with the steers on Superior. But this year we kept about 40 of them.

You can breed your F1 Tigerstripes to a Charolais and have a calf that will top most sales in the south and mash the scales.

If you want to raise replacements, I would suggest a Santa Gertudis or Brangus bull over the F1's. Before you say the calves will have too much Brahman influence, I will agree that the steer calves will have more than desired, but the question was to produce replacement females. A 3/8 Brahman influence bull on a 1/2 blood cow will give a replacement female that is about 7/16 Brahman (about as close to a half blood as you can get). Back in the 1980's when I lived in Brenham, Mayfair Ranch used Gert bulls on F1's to raise replacement females. Those females could be bred to an English or Continental bull and the calves would top the market.

BC":roydux4l said:
You can breed your F1 Tigerstripes to a Charolais and have a calf that will top most sales in the south and mash the scales.

If you want to raise replacements, I would suggest a Santa Gertudis or Brangus bull over the F1's. Before you say the calves will have too much Brahman influence, I will agree that the steer calves will have more than desired, but the question was to produce replacement females. A 3/8 Brahman influence bull on a 1/2 blood cow will give a replacement female that is about 7/16 Brahman (about as close to a half blood as you can get). Back in the 1980's when I lived in Brenham, Mayfair Ranch used Gert bulls on F1's to raise replacement females. Those females could be bred to an English or Continental bull and the calves would top the market.

Did you know the manager, Jim Theeck? He bought my black baldy heifers one year, and I was holding the next year's crop for him when he died.

Rafter S":y86us7hc said:
BC":y86us7hc said:

Did you know the manager, Jim Theeck? He bought my black baldy heifers one year, and I was holding the next year's crop for him when he died.
Yes, I knew him well. The best cow man I ever knew. I learned a great deal from him.

I'd say any good homo black, homo polled bull that doesn't have Brahman influence would be ideal to create a 3-way cross with the color and phenotype the market prefers. You could just go with a couple of Beefmasters in the place of those Tigers. They'll do then same thing and look better doing it. :)

East Caney":jwzwmpi5 said:
I'd say any good homo black, homo polled bull that doesn't have Brahman influence would be ideal to create a 3-way cross with the color and phenotype the market prefers. You could just go with a couple of Beefmasters in the place of those Tigers. They'll do then same thing and look better doing it. :)

No way he will get the same price for a Char x Beefmaster steer in Amite.

Not only that but I have always been partial to tigers and Brahmans, grandfather raised some of the best show Brahmans around and was big in the breed. Guess its just in my blood.

BarMRanch":26do7gmv said:
Not only that but I have always been partial to tigers and Brahmans, grandfather raised some of the best show Brahmans around and was big in the breed. Guess its just in my blood.

Yep, Normie Miller was my wife's maid of honor. They had a Brahman ranch near your family. She used to show but is a vet, now.

You can do well with a Hereford Bull and Grey Brahman cows, the up front investment is just a little higher. You make your money back because the steers grow so fast and the F1 Braford female is the top dollar replacement heifer.

BarMRanch":287uydht said:
Plan on getting a few quality Brangus and run either full Angus or Hereford over for ultra blacks or black baldies. However I really want some F1 tiger stripes just not sure what would be the best to breed them with. What would be the recommendation if I was wanting to get replacements out of them? Also what would it be if I was going straight to market with the calf's? Thanks

Get a good Angus that will tighten the hide and trim the ear.
The calves will mash the scales and grade bringing a premium.
Better have good working facilities secondly you wont play cowboy with the Tigers.
You can lead them anywhere if they trust you and you cant drive them nowhere if they don't.

Caustic is right about the Angus x Tigerstripe, they will keep up with a Char sired calf for the time frame a cow calf operation has them.

Luke Grezaffi has a few thousand tigers and he runs Brangus bulls with them. If this is your bull Bar M I might be tempted to stick him with Brafords.

http://www.cattlerange.com/509C224-201/509C224-201.html

Latest posts