What to do with beef heart

Help Support CattleToday:

j_20

Reaction score
Let me hear what you guys do with it. Heard of making a lunchmeat type spread out of it, that sounds good. What about pickling it? What recipes ya got?

Feed it to the dog. LOL. That's what I do with heart, liver, and tongue. Mom used to make liver and onions, wasn't to bad. But just can't do tongue or heart

519z3l0hOyL._SX401_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's been years since I've eaten beef heart, but if I remember right my mother would slice it and turn it in batter and fry it, similar to chicken-fried steak. I can take it or leave it. Now liver, that I give to the dogs or use for fish bait. The only thing I know of that tastes worse than beef liver is chicken liver.

It had been a while since I'd tried heart, so I kept one from one of the deer I shot this year. Last time I tried it I didn't care for it, but I actually liked it this time. I sliced it about ¼"-3/8" thick, and seasoned it more than most other cuts, I think I used garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary before cooking, coated in flour, and fried on super high heat. A little crisp on the outside and med rare inside was perfect for me. When I took off the skillet I put on some salt and pepper.
Now, it wasn't my favorite piece of meat, but I'll keep the hearts from now on. And this was venison, so I'm sure beef would taste better, at least to me.
Liver on the other hand, just isn't for me. I can eat it, but only in small quantities. Chicken liver is one of the most putrid things I've ever tried. It's baffling to me that some people actually like

my taste must be a little different haha i love beef, pork, and chicken liver. now beef tongue on the other hand im no fan of the dog gets that

j_20":2sgv36d8 said:
my taste must be a little different haha i love beef, pork, and chicken liver. now beef tongue on the other hand im no fan of the dog gets that

You're right about tastes being different. I've occasionally gotten surprised by a bite of chicken liver in chicken and dumplings and almost had to leave the table to be sick. Beef tongue, on the other hand, is good stuff. My mother would boil it. Then we'd peel the skin off and slice it. Makes the best sandwich you ever ate.

thats the same way we cook it when we have it but i have to cover it in gravy to tolerate it. never tried it on a sandwich though maybe i'll give it a shot

j_20":1m097cwv said:

Nothing better than liver and onions. And if you like roast beef, you gotta like tongue

I do love liver and onions, cook it a few times a year. Only have it when we butcher something though, I refuse to store buy liver.I soak it in milk for a while then dust it in flour and slap ya momma and fry it up. Doesnt get much better than that.

fenceman":h4i4laqg said:
j_20":h4i4laqg said:

Nothing better than liver and onions. And if you like roast beef, you gotta like tongue
I like it too, with some rich dark gravy.. Mmmm

I like all kinds of stuff. Used to eat pork brains in my scrambled eggs when I was a kid.

j_20":2d7qyxhv said:
I dont know about the brains never tried em. I know a few people who claim to like em though.

Pork brains with scrambled eggs was always our standard breakfast on the morning after butchering hogs. They were okay, but it's not something I miss or crave. Kind of like blood sausage.

Rafter S":lkbvatkv said:
j_20":lkbvatkv said:
I dont know about the brains never tried em. I know a few people who claim to like em though.

Pork brains with scrambled eggs was always our standard breakfast on the morning after butchering hogs. They were okay, but it's not something I miss or crave. Kind of like blood sausage.
I'd gladly give you my share. :mrgreen:

I leave it on the store shelf.....along with a lot of other parts I don't want to eat. This just one of the reasons I don't grow out and process my own animal.

By itself, I don't much care for it but transformed into Cervelat is heaven. Cervelat is what we are giving people for Christmas this year.

CARINE_CUISINE_PRODUCTS_102-Custom.jpg

Then there are the sandwich spreads which are good too.

Jo, I been waiting to see what you said since I saw this thread.

Man oh man, that looks good.

Maybe everyone else knows this, but do you own a meat shop?

Latest posts