What to do in Summer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are new to the show business. We have bred heifer that we showed in the spring & will show again in the fall. Some people around here let their cattle out in the pasture for the summer & then start working with them again closer to show time - other people keep them in the barn under fans all summer. What would be best?

Right now where i'm at it hits the nintys everyday so for us what we've found works the bestis if you keep them in the fans and shade durring the day and let them out at night. So there still able to graze but they stay cool all around.

angusheifers5722":1cbi13qw said:
We are new to the show business. We have bred heifer that we showed in the spring & will show again in the fall. Some people around here let their cattle out in the pasture for the summer & then start working with them again closer to show time - other people keep them in the barn under fans all summer. What would be best?
We work them over the summer. Keep doing what you would do during the show season.. keep em in their pens with their fans and misters during the day, work the hair, stick them a little, then let them out at night. Bring them back in in the morning and start all over again. The only time our show gals go out to pasture is to get bred.. and that's usually in the summer. Then, after the end of their 2 yr. showing career, they go out to pasture permanently and become a cow.

We always keep them in the barn because I'm always afraid they'll develop an attitude if they are let out on pasture. Plus, we work with them off and on most of the summer.

I turn mine out. plenty of clover in the pastures. plus I can't afford to feed them grain all summer and they get that stale look to them. If they are too fat as calves and young yearlings they are no good to me as cows.

Turn them out after the last show for the year. Bring them back in a month before the first show the next year (safe in calf) and work the hair and add pounds if needed then. More often than not, I need to shuck a few pounds off them for the show ring after a summer on grass.

As for the attitude comment...I just put a halter on a 7 year old cow for the first time since she was shown as a calf. Just like rideing a bike...she followed me like a dead broke kitten.

certherfbeef":g7ej54h2 said:
Turn them out after the last show for the year. Bring them back in a month before the first show the next year (safe in calf) and work the hair and add pounds if needed then. More often than not, I need to shuck a few pounds off them for the show ring after a summer on grass.

Thats what I do. Works pretty darn good, think its about the best thing for them too.

Our old show cows follow too. When we get them AI bred we use a halter and a blocking chute out on the driveway.

Latest posts