What to do for a chute/headgate

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a tarter head gate? Also called countryline at tractor supply company? I have a small pritty tame herd of cows, but want to AI them this fall and need a way to catch them and have them done. Do I need a headgate or can i corral into a chute and squeeze them between 2 pannels??? I have looked for used equipment, but there isnt anything in new england i swear and i dont have more then 1000 for the pannels and headgate and all....

If they are calm and used to being handled, all you need as an alleyway that you can close off. Whoever does your AI work may have othe peferences. I've did one just tied with a halter to a tree, but she was tame and used to being tied up and messed with.

you do not need to catch heads but you do need to be able to confine in an alley or something and be able to restrict forward and backward movement.

Dark boxes are the current rage around here for those doing a lot of AI. they do not have headgates.

I have bred thousands of cows without a headgate.

Medina gates have worked for years and years. TXBobcat and Running Arrow Bill have pics of set ups they use. Not exactly like mine but they all work the same. If you don't know what a medina gate is, think of the version they use for bull riding at rodeos. At times, for some processes, the medina gate seems safer for me to use versus the head gate or squeeze.

backhoeboogie":oizbwix4 said:
Medina gates have worked for years and years. TXBobcat and Running Arrow Bill have pics of set ups they use. Not exactly like mine but they all work the same. If you don't know what a medina gate is, think of the version they use for bull riding at rodeos. At times, for some processes, the medina gate seems safer for me to use versus the head gate or squeeze.

Looks like thsoe would work great for working cattle from either side, but don't know that I would want to get in there with the cow to breed or palpate a big cow. Not enough room behind the cow and a good way to get mashed if she backs up.

pdfangus":2566fwlc said:
you do not need to catch heads but you do need to be able to confine in an alley or something and be able to restrict forward and backward movement.

Dark boxes are the current rage around here for those doing a lot of AI. they do not have headgates.

How much does a dark box improve conception?
If I put a tarp over my RR tie and white oak chute, does that make it a dark box?

Stocker Steve":3ta17z2q said:
pdfangus":3ta17z2q said:

How much does a dark box improve conception?
If I put a tarp over my RR tie and white oak chute, does that make it a dark box?
All a dark box does is to help calm the cow. If they are already calm the rate will not improve. You may also find that getting them to go into a dark box gets them more upset than when they are in the box, but it is to late by then. Training them to be used to the routine works better.

Gentle cows can break your arm just as fast as a mean one and honestly alot of the wrecks that I've been in have been with gentle cows. My personal policy is that I won't touch them unless they are restrained at least by the neck with one side blocked to keep her from swinging to far.
Please keep in mind that while you are gambling that your cows are gentle enough to get by with a less than standard setup and still give you a decent conception rate, your AI tech is gambling the arm that feeds his/her kids on the same setup... It's a different ball game when it's YOUR arm getting ripped apart by a cow that isn't properly restrained.

Head bales are dangerous too especially when the bolts break and a bull carries one around a bit looking to come say Hello to you.

TexasBred":1dwc7mn1 said:
backhoeboogie":1dwc7mn1 said:

Looks like thsoe would work great for working cattle from either side, but don't know that I would want to get in there with the cow to breed or palpate a big cow. Not enough room behind the cow and a good way to get mashed if she backs up.

It sure beats nothing :D

I've got a block gate for one of mine. It would work on most to palpate with. To tall for some.

cow pollinater":p4920c1u said:
Gentle cows can break your arm just as fast as a mean one and honestly alot of the wrecks that I've been in have been with gentle cows. My personal policy is that I won't touch them unless they are restrained at least by the neck with one side blocked to keep her from swinging to far.
Please keep in mind that while you are gambling that your cows are gentle enough to get by with a less than standard setup and still give you a decent conception rate, your AI tech is gambling the arm that feeds his/her kids on the same setup... It's a different ball game when it's YOUR arm getting ripped apart by a cow that isn't properly restrained.
I've always done my AI from the other end of the cow. That way I don't have to worry about where her head goes. It also improves conception rates. :lol2:
Sorry I just couldn't resist.
A pipe under their butt in a chute the proper width. They always settle down after my arm was about elbow deep.
In my openion that kind of cow doesn't need to be AI'd anyway.