What spray for pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I saw a post on page 3 that mentioned using a spray for pinkeye. Whats it called and where do you get it? Also saw someone say you could squirt LA200 in the eye without needle. How much? I've got one cow with runny eyes, and she doesn't much care for the chute and headgate, looking for the easiest way to treat her. Thanks for any help.

i have been having alot of people tell me to spray 2 cc of la200 in the eye to cure pinkeye just recently the people at the local feed store said it was very affective in the treatment of pinkeye ...they said to also give a shot of the la200 to make more affective

We have used a purple spray, that I think has neomycin in it. Recently though, we've used the Cephalaxin tubes for mastitis. Either lift the eyelid and squirt some underneath, or put it on your finger and rub it in the eye.

The tubes are much more convenient, and don't turn everything purple. Can carry one in your shirt pocket or hold it in your teeth while working with the animal.

kenojoe":1e377whs said:
I saw a post on page 3 that mentioned using a spray for pinkeye. Whats it called and where do you get it? Also saw someone say you could squirt LA200 in the eye without needle. How much? I've got one cow with runny eyes, and she doesn't much care for the chute and headgate, looking for the easiest way to treat her. Thanks for any help.

Can't help you if you can't pen her. I only use LA200 for pinkeye injected SubQ. I don't believe in all the eye squirted stuff. We tried all kinds of this stuff years ago it didn't work very well. She need to be penned for a couple reasons, one to give her a shot of LA200 and another to get her used to being penned. Nothing worse than a full grown cow getting trapped for the first time and you needing to work her. Also remember not all runny eyes mean Pinkeye. Could just be fly irritation.

flaboy":17um18uc said:
kenojoe":17um18uc said:

Can't help you if you can't pen her. I only use LA200 for pinkeye injected SubQ. I don't believe in all the eye squirted stuff. We tried all kinds of this stuff years ago it didn't work very well. She need to be penned for a couple reasons, one to give her a shot of LA200 and another to get her used to being penned. Nothing worse than a full grown cow getting trapped for the first time and you needing to work her. Also remember not all runny eyes mean Pinkeye. Could just be fly irritation.

Sound advise, the comment on runny eyes is a good one to heed - if I worked on every cow that showed some eye tearing I'd have a cow up nearly everyday. I am using the face flips at mineral feeders & mixing CTC in the loose minerals - have avoided the typical summer outbreak of pinkeye this year (so far) - knock on wood (ouch). :)

I can get her in the pen, she just isn't real happy about it if you know what I mean. She is the only one of the tweleve that has tears . You comment about just being flies hadn't occured to me. I hate to be ignorant but, how do you tell the difference between pinkeye and fly irritation? If her eyes are irritated from flies won't they still be pink? Why is she the only one and how do you treat her eyes if it is just flies? Thanks for your patience and help.

kenojoe":2p9x7n4i said:
I can get her in the pen, she just isn't real happy about it if you know what I mean. She is the only one of the tweleve that has tears . You comment about just being flies hadn't occured to me. I hate to be ignorant but, how do you tell the difference between pinkeye and fly irritation? If her eyes are irritated from flies won't they still be pink? Why is she the only one and how do you treat her eyes if it is just flies? Thanks for your patience and help.

The indicator of pinkeye is cloudiness or whiteness in the center of the eye. Although irritation around the edge is the beginning, a white spot means break out the LA-200.

An earlier indicator is severe watering coupled with a nearly closed eyelid, especially when in sunlight. Early treatment for us is that combination (usually this is prior to the white spot/leashion & before any loss of sight). Just on & off tearing seems to be common in my herd, don't react to it, doesn't have any impact.

One brand name is "Furox" spray. They will have a fit when you spray it in the eye. But it helps. LA 200 in the eye also works well. But an injection of LA 200 will take care of it best. Don't let it get too far along. Fix it now.

ctlbaron":dhfgas83 said:
One brand name is "Furox" spray. They will have a fit when you spray it in the eye. But it helps. LA 200 in the eye also works well. But an injection of LA 200 will take care of it best. Don't let it get too far along. Fix it now.
Good advive Ctlbaron, One other thing that helps but you might not find anymore, so if you do, grab some while you can are the "puffer Bottles" I've been told they have been ordered to stop selling them. lot of people swore by them. Guess if something really works, they try to keep us from getting it sometimes.

Yeah I remember those puffer bottles but I haven't seen them in years. Seems to me they were furox too.

If you go to that link and search puffer it says indefinate back order. They can not take orders for that product.

We've sold the fire out of it every year, Like I said, our suppliers are saying indefinite backorder. You watch, it'll go off the market along with so many things that really worked. Pretty soon, we'll have to treat everything with soap and water.

Crowderfarms":v191wsqi said:
ctlbaron":v191wsqi said:
Good advive Ctlbaron, One other thing that helps but you might not find anymore, so if you do, grab some while you can are the "puffer Bottles" I've been told they have been ordered to stop selling them. lot of people swore by them. Guess if something really works, they try to keep us from getting it sometimes.
===============
crowderfarms,
Pray tell us you are referrring to another..."Puffer" type product?

"NFZ Nitrofurazone Pink-Eye Puffer

view larger image (AgriLabs) Contains 0.2% nitrofurazone used for ear & eye infections in dogs & cats. Also for surface wounds, cuts & abrasions in dogs, cats & on all livestock. Federal law prohibits the use of this product in food producing animals. "

Federal Law also forbids a lot of things...Why don't you go and Copy and Paste the statute for us? That use guideline is the current labeling for the product. As I stated, it is on indefinite backorder.My statement, in a past post,I merely stated that the product worked, and like other remedies from the past that worked well for treatments, have slowly become unavailable to all of us. I treated a bred Heifer with some the other day, I can assure you she wont end up on your plate.

Latest posts