What should we get? just looking right now.

Help Support CattleToday:

Irishred

Reaction score
My husband and I are talking about getting a milk cow/goat again. I have learned so much here but would like to ask some with more knowledge about this.

We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids - one teen and 3 under 8y) and could easily go through 4 gallons of milk a week though we try to keep it down to 2-3. Cheese, real butter and ice cream on top of that. I would not be the only milker as I'm sure the kids would want to help (later have to LOL) and I'd make DH have his turns as well. I would consider a small single milk machine but by hand would need to be the first option. I hope to make our own cheese and butter but have no idea how much milk that takes (I'd learn). We live on a beef cattle farm and the owners said they would help with feed and vet care in return for like a gallon of milk a week and some of the other stuff occasionally. We would also have use of the barn (I think) if we got cows though we would need to clean out an area for milking.

Questions:
How many cows or goats would we need to have an average milk production for our needs?

For cows, I don't think we would want a full Jersey as I understand they can have about 4 gallons a day. Is there another breed or good breed to cross with a jersey?

If we got goats, can calves drink goat milk?

For either, are there breeds that are more friendly/docile or is it more dependent on the animal it self (breeding) and how it is raised?

For a cow, well obviously we wouldn't have a problem breeding here living on a cattle farm. BUT would we need to get a male goat to go along with the females?

Ok, I think that is enough questions for now LOL. I look forward to reading responses. Thank you.

Go ahead with the jersey. No need to go buy a "Cadillac Jersey" tho. She'll produce enough for your needs as well as the landlord and with the high butterfat content of her milk you should be able to make a lot of butter as well. Best Wishes :tiphat:

I'll only deal with a couple of the questions. A decent dairy goat would provide all the milk your family needs. We made yogurt, cheese and butter but never ice cream from goat milk. Goats tend to be even more "herdy" then cows and need a companion. Most times you can find someone with a good buck goat that will let you bring your goat over to breed when she's in heat (back seat of a car works fine). One problem is that goats are very seasonal so you will have a 2 month dry spell every year. Calves do unbelievably well on goats milk. Raised a couple hundred a year on it back in the 70s. Didn;t have scours or any other health problems if the calves came from a herd with decent newborn calf health protocol.
If you already have some beef cows, why not train a really heifer beef cow as a milker? Better yet, a couple of them so you can milk a different one each day and leave the others to feed their calves

get the jersey.an heres why,if you want to make cheese butter an ice cream each oth those takes a gal .so to make all 3 youd need 3 gal of milk.the cow will give you 3 or gal a day on 10lb of feed.an thats at her peak from fresh to 150 days.an then her production will drop to 2 or 3 gal or less to dry off.

Texas,
I was thinking of cross breeds of cows for a couple reasons. Not as much milk at once and to possibly have 2 cows on alternate dry times. We would have lots of milk while both are up and could help with the occasional abandoned twin or if a momma had a problem.

Dun,
We wouldn't need more than one goat? Was kinda thinking the same as what I said above but thought we might need like 3 or 4 goats to meet needs of what we wanted to do. Would 2 be to many? and I forgot about yogurt.

I keep looking at the cows out in the field wondering if any would make good dairy cows for us. I know they have at least one Angus bull and they like the cows to be a mix with something (can't remember what now) for good milk. Don't think they follow a specific breed as they have all blacks, all reds, blacks and red with white faces, and some that have other white spots. One cow they have is a beautiful tan and brown brindle with a white face. I should take a picture and see what ya'll think of the herd and if there are possible dairy cows in there. (Oh this is only a portion of the cattle, they have 3 other fields.)

BigBull,
Thank you. I'm making note of all the information. 4 gallons is what I was thinking from a jersey. A lot for one day and to make stuff. I was thinking less per day but 2 to alternate dry periods, make extras when both were up and possibly nurse 'extra' calves (2nd twins etc).

All this brings up another question, can you store the milk by canning or freezing? Can you store enough?

Thank you for the responses so far. Off to snap a picture or two and I'll be back.

Irishred":2vi5nd03 said:
Dun,
We wouldn't need more than one goat? Was kinda thinking the same as what I said above but thought we might need like 3 or 4 goats to meet needs of what we wanted to do. Would 2 be to many? and I forgot about yogurt.

A quality dairy good, not the scrubby sock uddered things that most people think of when they think goats, will peak at a gallon to gallon and a half a day and carry that production for themajority of her lactation. When I was a kid we fed a family of 6 with 3 goats, but that was just milk. Oleo came from the store with the little dye packet in it and ice cream was a once in a blue moon treat.

Ok, trying for a couple pictures here. This is part of the herd, can you tell if they'd make good milkers?

a couple young ones and I thing a momma in the middle.
2008_05090010.jpg

lots of cows including the brindle I mentioned hiding in the shade of a tree
2008_05090012.jpg

about 10 min. later they went on parade to the water
2008_05090021.jpg

dun":2fui8y22 said:
A quality dairy good, not the scrubby sock uddered things that most people think of when they think goats, will peak at a gallon to gallon and a half a day and carry that production for themajority of her lactation. When I was a kid we fed a family of 6 with 3 goats, but that was just milk. Oleo came from the store with the little dye packet in it and ice cream was a once in a blue moon treat.

Oh my, haven't heard the term "oleo" in a while. my mom used to say that and we would tease her.

Hmmm, that is what I thought, we would really need more than one goat then. I would want to have enough as just milk and make butter, yogurt, cheese and ice cream would be more of a once a week treat that we make in a quart ice cream ball (wouldn't be making gallons of it).

3 or more goats then or at least one jersey cow. Well it will probably be a cow or two as I think more than 2-3 goats could be a problem with the space we have for them.

Taking note of all this, Thank you all. Any other suggestions please pass them on. Anyone know of a small dairy dairy in East TN that sells cows or goats?

We are a family of 7. We have Jersey cows. One cow will take care of you just fine, even if you have to buy milk the short period she is dry before calving.

One thing you really need to check into are the laws in your state concerning selling or giving away raw milk. It is illegal to do so in Texas unless you are an inspected raw milk dairy. You don't want to get in a pickle with friends should someone decide that your milk made them sick. Chances are it wouldn't happen but sometimes people get weird about stuff.

Do your research about how to feed and take care of a dairy cow. They have different requirements concerning feed, hay and forage. Feeding a good quality dairy feed will insure that you get a quality product. We feed ACCO Lactation / Dairy feed. It is expensive - $28.00 per hundred lbs. Our cow gets about 20 lbs per day, alfalfa, coastal hay and pasture.

We've had a family milk cows for about 30 years. They are enjoyable. We haven't been on a family vacation since we've owned milk cows. Someone always has to stay home to milk.

Look into getting a cream separator too. They are very handy.

Just curious Irishred, what did you end up getting?
I just came across the forum but have been interested in the posts as we just got a miniature
Dexter/Jersey mix. She produces about 2-4 gal of milk a day. We are a family of 7 (2 adults 5 children) and drink 10 gal of milk per week. We also make cheese, butter, whipped cream, and of course ice cream. We are having a little trouble with kicking but I think, since this is her first calf, she'll get used to being milked with the milker before too long.
I'd really like to know what you ended up getting or what you are still considering.

I have a family of 6-REALLY big eaters! We had 2 dairy goats and that was plenty. I used Saanens and they gave about 12# each on average per day. We drank the milk and I made yogurt (lots) and ice cream. I never made cheese though. Butter is almost impossible to make from goat milk as the milk is sort of naturally homogenized and not much cream goes to the top. I also raised at least 1 calf every year on the goat milk and I agree that I never had a problem with scours or disease when they were drinking goat's milk. If you have 2, you can stagger their breeding so that you always have a supply of milk.

If you keep your barn, milking area, and equipment clean and NO BUCKS near the does, you shouldn't have a problem with the milk tasting goaty. It's much better than store cow's milk.

Freezing goat's milk makes it taste goaty. I would still freeze it though and feed it to the calves-they don't care. Or once you process it, like for cheese, the taste disappears.

Quarkkuchen":84lfgqt1 said:
Just curious Irishred, what did you end up getting?
I just came across the forum but have been interested in the posts as we just got a miniature
Dexter/Jersey mix. She produces about 2-4 gal of milk a day. We are a family of 7 (2 adults 5 children) and drink 10 gal of milk per week. We also make cheese, butter, whipped cream, and of course ice cream. We are having a little trouble with kicking but I think, since this is her first calf, she'll get used to being milked with the milker before too long.
I'd really like to know what you ended up getting or what you are still considering.

Hi,
We haven't been able to get anything yet. I am still looking at breeds and such. Our neighbor said next time he goes to the sale barn he will look at the dairy cows but that is no guarantee for us to get one. So, I guess you can say I'm still looking.

JMO, but do not, absolutely do NOT buy a cow from the sale barn. I've seen a few too many fresh dairy cows sent to the auction with DAs, or cows with hernias that aren't obvious b/c they've been off feed for 2 days, or cows that look great but have mastitis in all four quarters...

I can't emphasize it enough; do NOT buy from the salebarn!

Would suggest you give some of the local dairymen a call and find out if they have any cows that are being culled for low production or hoof/leg problems, or sometimes you can get a nice heifer that just has issues about going on the concrete. Make it a point to always know WHY the animal is being culled before purchase -- something you can't do at a salebarn. There's some problems you can live with, and some you can't (or the cow can't!).

Thank you MM,

I think what he meant is [and I should have said it like this to start with] when he was going to buy (he has a bull to replace) he would look/ask around. I'll talk to him before he goes again as it will be a little while. Not sure if he knows any dairy folk in this area. Could seeing what they are culling give you an idea of what they might have that are good?

Is there a list some where of diaries in a state? The only ones I keep coming up with are like Mayfield Dairy. I'm sure there are a few smaller operations around, I'm just not finding them.

Thank you

Mayfield Dairy? wow that brings back memories! I went for a tour of their plant when I was a kid and got to see what happened to the milk after it left the dairy; after we moved to Idaho I got to see the first part of the process. Well, enough reminiscing. :p I'm pretty sure I've heard talk about a list of the dairies in different states, but I don't know where it is. How about calling your vet and asking him what he knows of in your area? With the price of gas you won't want to travel far, and the dairies your vet knows of will probably be enough.

Irish,

I have a really nice Jersey cow Im about to sell. She is 3 years old and due to calf in 2 weeks. She is registered and bred to a registered Jersey bull. She is current on all vaccs and sound in all 4 quarters. A great cow. Im looking to place her with a family insteat of with a dairy so please let me know if you would be interested. Hope to here from you soon.

JKB

I would get a Jersey ready to fresh she will furnish enough milk for several months. Looking at the dry period , find a short bred cow that will freshen in the later stages of the 1st cows production and carry you through until fresh again. I know this over laps the 2 cows but you can make lots of cheese with excess milk

If you don't want a huge amount of milk, go with a goat...Jersey's are the smallest of the major dairy breeds. If you get a goat, you need to get more than one or they will be very lonely. Goats are extremely social. I would recommend going with the goats if you don't already have a milking system at your farm. I've never milked my goats but I know people that do and they make a ton of products with their goat milk and milking doesn't take them long at all-and their kids can do a lot to help out. I'm not sure about feeding goat milk to calves but I doubt you would have enough to get the calf enough feed!

Latest posts