What should we be feeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

FFAgal

Reaction score
We have two bottle babies that are about 4 months old now. Looking to show them at shows next year in June and August. One would be in the breed class the other market. They are being fed corn w/protien, hay and free range grass. They appear to have more of a "boney" look to them and we were wondering if we need to be feeding something else to help them grow/fill out. They surely don't look like the "mom" fed calves we have in the pasture right now! They have all the vaccinations and have been wormed. Any input? Thanks!

FFAgal":2rwu3llo said:
We have two bottle babies that are about 4 months old now. Looking to show them at shows next year in June and August. One would be in the breed class the other market. They are being fed corn w/protien, hay and free range grass. They appear to have more of a "boney" look to them and we were wondering if we need to be feeding something else to help them grow/fill out. They surely don't look like the "mom" fed calves we have in the pasture right now! They have all the vaccinations and have been wormed. Any input? Thanks!

I would get them on a balanced ration more than just corn and hay. If you want to be competitive you need a complete ration, probably some Corn, Oats, Soybean meal, Cotton seed hulls. You could get it mixed yourself or buy a Grower Ration from an established company like Acco, Purina etc.....

d6cattleman":2bueh8hd said:
To be blunt, I wouldnt try to turn bottle calves into show calves.They never look as good as natural calves.
d6cattleman

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. it usually just isn't successful. :(

aplusmnt-Thanks for the input!
This was my daughter's first year showing and she did show two bottle babies that did quite well (1st & 2nd). They just did not have the age to them-they were just 11 & 12 months old. That's what the judge told her anyway. Although the heifer was up for grand female. She just showed them to get some experience. Next year she wants to show her two current bottle babies (they are weaned now) and two from the pasture. This would be in the market & breed classes. My daughter knows that the bottle babies wouldn't "clean house" at a show, but they are owned by her and she wants to show her own animals.

Your bottle calves can grow out every bit as good as a weaned calf. Don't worry about that! You do need to get them on a good Show Ration as soon as possible and push them to eat about 20-25lbs./day all the way through 'til Showtime. Work your way up slowly. It should take about 6 weeks. Good Luck.

Hello, I'm new here,

I've had very good luck raising bottle calves not only for show but feedlot use too. Although I will say, there is an art to it, let's say you have to think like a cow. Last year my bottle calf weaned out in our top weight group. I've shown bottle calves before too, if grown correctly they'll beat dam-raised calves any day. First, you need to have your calves on good milk. I use goat's milk; if you can possibly feed goat's milk, you'll own the show. Milk from goat's is very rich, it has a lot of cream therefore it's high in fat, calves do great on it! I feed free choice milk or 4 gals a day. If feeding goat's milk you must mix it, 50/50 water, milk, if you don't your calves will get scours and die within hours. Just too rich to be fed straight I guess. You also have to introduce it gradually. My brother puts one raw egg in his calves milk, (farm raised eggs only!) I've never found that it helps but he swears by it. I feed my show calves very little hay; just enough so they get their daily roughage. You can feed two different types, straight grass hay or a lot of the time I'll feed the alfalfa stocks the goats don't eat. Make sure you have high quality hay. You don't want to feed straight alfalfa that's too rich. As far as grain and show rations go… This year on my yearling show heifers I fed a product from Show-Rite Feeds called NutriPreme it has milk powder in the pellet, this product adds amazing fat to your animal and gives them that "milk fat" look and sheen. I feed NutriPreme in my ration at 1lb per day. I'd use that on my calves if feeding certain poundage a day. If you want to feed a free choice grain, (what I do while my calves are on milk) I feed Doughboy Feed's Calf Creep. I mix it with oats on a 50/50 ration. I never use medicated feeds or milks. I also make sure they have free choice mineral, salt and clean fresh water. I never let my show animals have grass! If on grass your cattle won't eat their full rations. I hope this helps you out! People who think bottle calves can't be show calves obviously have never seen my calves. ~ Tori

Your right,Tori. Ive never seen your calves. If you would like you can post pictures on here. Id like to see the difference in your calf and mine. ;-)
d6cattleman

my daughter shows dairy beef normally brown swiss, and holsteins and she shows beef , angus and hereford the beef we get in october they are momma fed calves and our dairy beef are all bottle fed except for one last year, and I tell you what I never had a problem getting them to "show" standards, feed them when they are calves as much as they want, cut back a month before show, walk walk walk, we feed corn, oats, wyatt mixer, protein , molasses, and hay NO problem our brown swiss last year weighed #1425 and won 1 place

Latest posts