What kinds/breeds/varieties of domestic (livestock/pets) and game animals and birds would do well on a 65-square-mile tropical island?

Help Support CattleToday:

burroughs85

Reaction score
Any North American and European species?

How well would any of these animals do healthwise and what special provisions would man have to make to keep them in tropical island climates with vegetation/terrain/soil types typical of these regions of the world? Tropical climate is generally hot and humid but might be cooler and breezy on a smaller island with plenty of nearby seacoast. There may be special disease considerations as tropical fever.

1. dairy goats
2. pigs
3. milk cows
4. beef cattle
5. chickens
6. working and hunting dogs
7. house cats
8. mourning doves
9. ring-neck pheasants
10. puddle ducks
11. geese
12. deer
13. African lesser antelope

Any concern for destroying the local environment or is that not important to you? All of these domesticated species could/might do fine but if they escape they would likely become feral and breed until they hit some kind of wall. Any indigenous predators?

Cats would be very destructive to native wildlife.

I'm kind of thinking this is not a serious question. There's just too much information out there about how invasive species have damaged once pristine places.

Any North American and European species?

How well would any of these animals do healthwise and what special provisions would man have to make to keep them in tropical island climates with vegetation/terrain/soil types typical of these regions of the world? Tropical climate is generally hot and humid but might be cooler and breezy on a smaller island with plenty of nearby seacoast. There may be special disease considerations as tropical fever.

1. dairy goats
2. pigs
3. milk cows
4. beef cattle
5. chickens
6. working and hunting dogs
7. house cats
8. mourning doves
9. ring-neck pheasants
10. puddle ducks
11. geese
12. deer
13. African lesser antelope
14. liberals of any stripe, career politicians, liars (I repeat myself) federal reserve with adequate toilet paper for multiuse money.
This should supply the needed carnivores to control the explosion of animals that would be sure to come. Oh and three pair
of breeding lawyers which will be more than adequate carrion capacity. [I am just getting started- definitely not a final draft]

Any concern for destroying the local environment or is that not important to you? All of these domesticated species could/might do fine but if they escape they would likely become feral and breed until they hit some kind of wall. Any indigenous predators?

Cats would be very destructive to native wildlife.

I'm kind of thinking this is not a serious question. There's just too much information out there about how invasive species have damaged once pristine places.

It's serious if you are dreaming about owning a private island in the tropics and want to colonize it with some degree of farming and also offer sport hunting to tourists. How will a German shepherd, an American quarter horse or even a Holstein cow and a Labrador retriever handle the heat and humidity? I guess pigs can handle tropical islands becasue jerked pork is common in Jamaica. Yes, this is a small island in theory and would have a coastal breeze and coastal salt air and coastal fog.

It's serious if you are dreaming about owning a private island in the tropics and want to colonize it with some degree of farming and also offer sport hunting to tourists. How will a German shepherd, an American quarter horse or even a Holstein cow and a Labrador retriever handle the heat and humidity? I guess pigs can handle tropical islands becasue jerked pork is common in Jamaica. Yes, this is a small island in theory and would have a coastal breeze and coastal salt air and coastal fog.
Well if you are going to offer hunting... remember what happened with deer introduced to New Zealand. With no natural predators they got to be a problem and now New Zealand pays hunters to shoot them.

Rabbits in Australia have become a problem, hogs in southern states, goats in the Galapagos, and cats in Hawaii have all become problems. Hippos in Venezuela and pythons in Florida are now problems.

Do you think hunters would pay to shoot feral hogs on an island when they can go to Texas and shoot them for free?

What kind of local, indigenous animals are there? Are any of them worth hunting? How's the fishing around the island? Maybe keep the island pristine and sell the fishing...

If you have a topical island why have any animals at all. Just hang a hammock between two trees. Sip drinks which have an umbrella in them. And watch the bikini beauties stroll by on the beach. Life is great.
Wait for the shipwrecked beauties to roll in.

Ken

This seems like a very random question, with an odd list of options. Would you care to elaborate on your reasons for asking, and on the process you went through to come up with those candidates?

Realize that this is the poster that had the mythical farm back awhile ago.... and it was actually a train set and pretend scenery and farms etc....the thread was "how to protect your livestock on the range from becoming hamburger" or something to that effect....

I use a 3d modeling software at work. This conversation reminds me of a guy who came on one of the forums associated with that software a few years ago. He wanted to create a 3d model of the Texas School Book Depository, down to the finest detail. And by finest detail I mean things like wanting the interior workings of the soda machine to be accurate . . . and he wanted us to help with it . . . for free, of course, because it would help to finally solve the "mystery" surrounding who killed JFK.

It might have been 3D modeling or something like that.... you can go back and look up that thread.... but I do remember that in one post the comment was made that they did not actually have animals.... and it all seemed like the pipe dream perfect model... like a snapshot that is always that perfect bucolic scene captured forever... that nothing ever changes and all is just so wonderful to look at... no dirt, no rain, no sh!t or mudholes or cows dying or anything....

Latest posts