What kind of mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

The CEO

Reaction score
What kind of mineral are you supposed to give your cows when you put them out on green grass in the spring?

Thanks!

If these are cool season grasses (wheat, oats, ryegrass, etc), feed hi mag. But if the grasses are warm season grasses, feed a mineral for that type of grass. Right Now Emerald works for me for warm season grasses that are actively growing.

bigbull338":1sag8xak said:
you give them himag minerals prefarable 3wks before you turn them on green pasture.

Yep...had a cow bloat and die a few years ago on plain ol' lush spring coastal. At least 10% mag in the mineral. Some places have a bloat mineral available for very very pricey.

Is there a relationship between bloat and grass tetany? How would a hi mag mineral be related to bloat?

rk":7wz7s0yk said:
Is there a relationship between bloat and grass tetany? How would a hi mag mineral be related to bloat?

None whatsoever. Had both sides of my brain go dead in the middle of the post while the fingers were still working. :help: :help:

Thanks everybody for your help! I picked up 100 lbs. of mineral that had 14% mag this morning.

The CEO":2ydi563l said:
What kind of mineral are you supposed to give your cows when you put them out on green grass in the spring?

Thanks!

High magnesium to prevent grass tetanus.

msscamp":2mmm6vdt said:
The CEO":2mmm6vdt said:

Thanks!

High magnesium to prevent grass tetanus.

Tetany not tetanus

Probably more psychological than anything. Most sulfur salt blocks are only about 3% sulfur. Really hard for a cow to get all the salt she needs from a block, let alone a big dose of sulfur. The same for trace mineral salt blocks. Only a "trace" of minerals in most.

Latest posts