what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

Help Support CattleToday:

what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

• Ayrshire

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Brown Swiss

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Dairy Shorthorn

• Guernsey

• Holstein

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Jersey

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
One of our neighbors just got 2 jersey cows, both will have PB jersey calves this year, but they were wondering wether breeding to Gelbveih would be safe for the cows (both are 4 years old)... I imagine that cross could make some really decent steer calves, and probably an acceptable heifer that could be milked, though I'm sure the production wouldn't be that of a pure jersey

Nesikep":2tq09wbb said:
One of our neighbors just got 2 jersey cows, both will have PB jersey calves this year, but they were wondering wether breeding to Gelbveih would be safe for the cows (both are 4 years old)... I imagine that cross could make some really decent steer calves, and probably an acceptable heifer that could be milked, though I'm sure the production wouldn't be that of a pure jersey
Any reason why they want to go Gelbvieh?

My vote was for Jersey. I have never milked in a commercial dairy. My experience is all with a family milk cow. My Dad milked a few Holsteins and they were OK. I think he overfed them on grain (10# a day). We had a lot of health problems with them and were lucky to get 5 or 6 years out of a milk cow. It seemed like every year something would happen. Milk fever, bloat, major mastitis, so forth and so on. We were getting a new cow every couple years and breaking her in. Just more work that I like to do. I milk a few Jersey cows and so far (knock on wood) have never had any problems. I don't feed them much grain (2# to 4# a day) and I make them milk on mostly grass and hay. I think I have had 3 cases of mastitis over the years. They breed back so fast and easy. I really think the one cow would calve every 10 months if I let her. She will cycle 14 days after calving every year. She is just a nice little cow - easy keeping for a milk cow. The Jerseys don't milk as heavy, but they do give more cream and butter. I think they give more butter in terms of volume than the Holsteins I was around, but that is my personal experience. I can't speak for the entire breed as a whole. If I remember right my Mom would save cream for a whole week to get a gallon, but with these Jerseys I can get a gallon of cream in two to three days from each cow. I guess I will see as time goes by. Who knows, I may change my mind in a few years. Just my preference. I guess that is why there are so many different breeds of cattle out there.

Correct.....the jersey cattle do have higher butterfat and protein than holsteins, however, the holstein will produce much more milk. Don't know why you had the problems with the holsteins on the home place. Cattle kept for family milk needs are seldom under enough pressure to cause problems. Anytime you have mastitis in one of them I'd think it was probably your fault for not doing quite as good a job of cleaning the teat before and after milking. Glad you're enjoying the jerseys. My experience with them commercially has not been that good but that's another story. ;-)

TB Could have easily been our fault with the mastitis. Those holsteins weren't much fun to milk, which didn't make it any easier to do a good job. They sure got it easy though. I know it has a lot to do with managment. My Jerseys don't hardly ever get it or at least not as easily. But once again, different managment here. I am a lot more careful milking my cows than I was milking Dads cows :lol: I had the one jersey when she came fresh with her first calf had mastitis right from the start in one quarter. I have never seen that before, but I am not a dairy man either. It just seemed odd since I thougth they always got that from not being milked properly. In her case, she has never been milked so it couldn't have been that. Maybe her udder got bruised from a bigger cow pushing her around? I dunno. :dunce:

BigBlue it can happen. I had a heifer that was only about 6 months bred begin to collect fluid in one quarter and the udder actually ruptured and ruined the quarter eventually and the quarter died. Everyone has a little mastitis. Oh and by the way, I too too much better care of my dad's cattle. :help:

I myself owned a Holstein and she was alright, but my 4-H leader had several Brown Swiss cows and I adored them. They were the nicest cows and their milk was delicious, not to mention made great cheese!

i like the guernsey milk and particularly the generous amount of cream. i was raised on golden guernsey milk so i guess that's a sedimental choice....

I picked Jersey but have had no experience with milking. My husband was raised with milking shorthorn, they stopped milking when pipeline became mandatory and strted crossing them for a beef herd.
I've been racking my brain for a name for the little ladies, Bambi for one of them . I saw the "Honey" as a name for someones cow posted earlier. Sure fits the color of a Jersey and if hubby approves, we will have Bambi and Honey - lol
Valerie

My vote is for saanen (dairy goat) :)

But in terms of goats, the Illawarra (which is an australian breed derived from shorthorns)

And of course, like others have said, for commercial production, holstien/friesian

I also love fleckvieh/simmental

Latest posts