what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

Help Support CattleToday:

what is your favorite dairy breed, and why?

• Ayrshire

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Brown Swiss

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Dairy Shorthorn

• Guernsey

• Holstein

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Jersey

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
i myself prefer the Guernsey, their milk is delicious and i think they're very attractive bovines.
dairy.jpg

I'm going with Holstein. 1. They are the highest producing breed so I make the most money from running them 2. There aren't enough Jerseys or Brown Swiss around for me to find any good females 3. They have very good dispositions 4. It's always interesting to see the color patterns one will get. Like I heard someone else put it, it's like Christmas every time a calf is born. You never know what kind of pattern you'll get 5. The bull calves are easy to sell (compared to Jersey, etc.) 6. There are lots of AI sires available so there is good diversity to choose from.

There are probably more reasons but I think that gives you an idea.

I always liked Jerseys. And don't ever want to milk another oneor any other breed for that matter.

Holstein, but I am biased .. ;-) I also like Brown Swiss and Guernsey but the ones we had ate as much as Holstein and produced the least amount of milk. Now that Holsteins are producing higher butterfat as well as tons of pounds per day they can give the best of both worlds.

BTW my opinion is based on a dairy operation that is financially sound and self sufficient, not a hobby or one/two milk cow operation. I think if you want a family milk cow there are many breeds that do not need the micro managing as Holsteins do to be cost effective.

Holsteins...the others will starve a dairyman to death. Use to try to milk quite a few holstein/jersey crosses and they were good little cattle as well.

Swedish red. finland ayrshire. norwegian red. These are all ayrshire style, and have been using each others bulls fathers for fifty years or so. Allround breeds; milk, beef ( bulls show a great deal of sexual dimorfism),easy calvings, live and healthy calves, Low incidence of mastitis, great fertility, good disposition, legs, sound feet, you name it! Allround dairy cowsThey are what ayrshires were before the show breeding started to ruin the breed in north america. I voted ayrshire!

Holstein for production but you did say 'favourite' so I will go for Jersey. There's nothing sweeter than a little tame Jersey cow :D .

alisonb":1v8a1976 said:
Holstein for production but you did say 'favourite' so I will go for Jersey. There's nothing sweeter than a little tame Jersey cow :D .

I agree Alison. My Aunt had one when we were kids that loved me. I could milk her anytime but she would kick anyone else like a Cobra striking.

we milked a all holstein herd for 27yrs.but i prefer anything but a holstein in the barn.an over the years we had 2 jerseys 1 aryshire 2 swiss crosses an 2 or so jersey crosses an 1 gurnsey cow.

bigbull338":1evdntod said:
we milked a all holstein herd for 27yrs.but i prefer anything but a holstein in the barn.an over the years we had 2 jerseys 1 aryshire 2 swiss crosses an 2 or so jersey crosses an 1 gurnsey cow.
Just curious as to why that might be.

novaman":17pymn94 said:
bigbull338":17pymn94 said:
Just curious as to why that might be.

Got me scratching my head too.

when its your dads dairy he dont care what you like.an he liked them dang holsteins.me ive always liked the colored dairy breeds an crosses.

Jersey all the way.Only because, I've never owned any of the other breeds.But are open to them. Have had many a jersey nurse cows.

Jersey. But my best cows are crossbreds (Holstein Friesian cross Jersey) with the exception of 137 (a jersey, matches nearly any HF or xbred in the herd for production).
Worked with black and whites for about a decade before finding myself the owner of a predominantly Jersey herd - I liked the Holstein Friesian well enough but loved the good Jerseys. I seem to have a few really good Jerseys and a lot of mediocre ones though (crossing to HF fixes them).
Being able to handle them easily if they go down or get stuck somewhere stupid is a big bonus, plus they just look cute.

Best cow I ever had was a Jersey. Naughtiest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Smartest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Love 'em anyway. :heart: Would love to have a Montbeliarde someday, just for kicks.

redcowsrule33":393wxs98 said:
Best cow I ever had was a Jersey. Naughtiest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Smartest cow I ever had was a Jersey. Love 'em anyway. :heart: Would love to have a Montbeliarde someday, just for kicks.

Same cow???????????????

I believe montbeliardes can be trained to kick. but would strongly advice against such practices! :banana: :banana: :banana:

regolith":2nvt2dt7 said:
Jersey. But my best cows are crossbreds (Holstein Friesian cross Jersey) with the exception of 137 (a jersey, matches nearly any HF or xbred in the herd for production).
Worked with black and whites for about a decade before finding myself the owner of a predominantly Jersey herd - I liked the Holstein Friesian well enough but loved the good Jerseys. I seem to have a few really good Jerseys and a lot of mediocre ones though (crossing to HF fixes them).
Being able to handle them easily if they go down or get stuck somewhere stupid is a big bonus, plus they just look cute.
Anytime you have a jersey that will match a holstein for production you have one he&& of a jersey cow and a sorry a$$ holstein. When you're milking for a living holsteins is the only way to go. The others just add some variety to the picture.

TexasBred":2g91xjld said:
When you're milking for a living holsteins is the only way to go. The others just add some variety to the picture.

Maybe in the U.S. TB.
If the industry had to factor in animal welfare and other environmental considerations the field might level a bit. Up here, because of the quota system, there is a set price for milk, so the guys can be less needful of "milk machine cattle". Lots of Jersey herds up here.

I voted Brown Swiss because I think in a world where excellent beef was a by-product of dairy they are a top dual purpose breed.

I run BA cows mostly, and I am very happy with them, but the old Brown Swiss I lost last year likely put more money in my pocket than any other cow here. Smart ( for a cow ), quiet and productive. Gonna miss ole Daisy.

Latest posts