What is this, cancer??

Help Support CattleToday:

Herford×Angus

Reaction score
I saw this a couple of days ago. It's on the lower part of the leg it was about golf ball size when I first saw it, looks bigger now. Reason I wonder if it's cancer, is I had a bred heifer with a lump on its ribcage that looked similar, although it still had hair on it. Took her to the vet and she said it was cancer. When she cut it out it was black on the inside, she told me if she missed even a little piece it would grow back and I should sell her asap! I realize I will probably have to get the vet to look at this. But I was wondering if it was something anyone had seen before?
2rh7cch.jpg

n8ck1.jpg

Pics where taken minutes apart, the sun is playing tricks!

To identify what a growth like that is they need to be removed and sent to a pathologist to properly identify. What is the age of the cow? Rarely get nasty things on young animals.

Ken

Not sure about her age she's gonna have her 5th calf at my place but I bought her as a mature cow. I'm guessing 10 years plus. Should I give her antìbiotics?

I don't think so. It does look like some form of tumour like a sarcoid or sarcoma. I would aim to offload her as soon as it suits. That maybe after she weans her next calf but maybe sooner if it starts to weep and bleed and flies hang around.

It looks a bit too flat to get a band around it but may be worth a try if you can pick it up with your fingers but still plan to unload her.

Ken

I would ship asap. Packers very touchy on cancer animals. Doesn't take much for condemnation and the cost to dispose of in this country is $300, which is charged back to the kill buyer. That way kill buyers are very reluctant to buy anything with even a hint of an issue.

If you wait too long, you will be putting her down yourself.

Yeah I've been thinking of selling her anyway she's a bit to wild for my taste. But I hope she can still raise this calf. But if it looks like it's getting worst fast I might have to take the calf and sell it. Or use it as a spare

if she was mine she would take a one way trip. the sooner the better

Latest posts