What is the world comming to?

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
In Fort Bend county, somewhere close to Houston, a steer show judge was punched by a mad parent that didn't like the placings.

I know this goes on in the sports end of things, but a steer show...come on!! I thought country folk had more sense than that.
Now I remember why I don't like dealing with steer jocks.
Maybe this idiot just needs one of them Corona's?

It's a shame grownups act that way.

You ought to see some of the parents and coaches at my girls under 10 and under 12 soccer games. The games are chaperoned by armed deputies.

Maybe someone should punch some sense into that parent. What kind of message are you teaching the kids showing when you do something stupid like that? I think one of the big problems is that some of the steers at these shows bring so much money, and, you know to most people there is nothing more important than money.

Its one thing to go up to the judge and argue with him because you disagree with the placings; and have him explain to you why he placed them that way. But to hit the judge in the face Dumb A**. If I really thought that the placings were the wrong way I would have gone talk to the judge after the drive and asked questions.

I guess this guy payed $20,000 for his steer if he was making it such a big deal. Was the steer even nice that he was complaining about that lost???

Now that is an interesting (albeit sad) bit of information, cert. Must have been at the Ft. Bend county fair, which just concluded a few days ago. The fairgrounds are in my hometown and are about 3 miles from my little ranchito. I'll have to scan the local paper and/or ask around to get the staight skinny on that! No doubt the guy needs a Corona, but not to drink ---- I'm thinking he simply needs to have an empty one smashed against his head and then have his ass kicked good and proper. ;-)

We are just getting started with showing calves for 4-H. Daughter shows Llamas, but son will be startig with bottle calves next year. This type of thing really bothers me.

We have been to the county fair for a couple of years now and when walking through the barns I see the parents fitting the cattle for the show. I know parents are allowed to help, but my goodness most of these kids are teenagers and don't need as much help as the younger kids. I was under the impression that 4-H was for the kids to learn about and do the project with adult supervision and guidance.

I will be there to help and guide my kids, but they are the ones that are going to have to do the majority of the work and if they place well they will have the pride of knowing that they achieved that accomplishment, not Mom. I think that the parents are getting too worked up about the end result and not enough about the lessons learned along the way.

Anyway I will get off my soapbox now.

I would kill my dad if he would ever clip or fit one of my calves. My dad is not that much into it he just puts up the money because me and my sister like it. My dad pretty much is the one that keeps up the grass and hay ect. I do all my fitting for show day; I break all my calves; I pick which bulls I want to breed to and he buys the semen; I set my own prices; my dad really has nothing to do with my cattle unless I ask him to. Sounds good, he spends the money I tell him what to do and when I sell a calf I keep the money. My dad could not tell you who is one of the best produces bulls in the Brangus breed, but my mom could. The point is me and my sister do pretty much all the work when it comes to the cattle.

I mite get people pissed off with this coment but in my mined its true. 4-H sucks!!!!!There are so many stupid rules its unreal. No fitting ect.(I still fit) And all but maybe 1 agent are trash.

SCfarms":4tp94daz said:
my dad really has nothing to do with my cattle... he spends the money... when I sell a calf I keep the money.

That pretty much sums up your operation I think. :shock: :roll:

Kids like you are what makes 4-H "suck" :mad: :mad:

txshowmom":1gj3sgnb said:
Anyone know who the parent that punched him was?

Nope, but the Judge was Lee Stanley. Maybe that narrows it down for you a bit.

certherfbeef":2963y2ks said:
SCfarms":2963y2ks said:
my dad really has nothing to do with my cattle... he spends the money... when I sell a calf I keep the money.

That pretty much sums up your operation I think. :shock: :roll:

Kids like you are what makes 4-H "suck" :mad: :mad:

Why would you say that??

Stephen Clark if you would have to borrow the money ,either from the Bank or even your parents,work a part time job and pay for the feed, med,and show supplies work hard with your calf and make the preimum sale and pay your investment back.Then you might have learned something that will help you out in later life.

certherfbeef has you figured out pretty well.

I can tell Its kids like you, that after your first year of showing.You have seen it all and done it all,and no one can tell you anything cause you already know it all.I doubt any advisor good or bad would be able to put up with you.Its called being spoiled

I work with our county fair as a barn superviser, and I have to tell you I would be a lot happier if the parents left the kids at the barn door and where not allowed in until the fair was over. Everyone of the kids I work with is nice and polite with me, where as most of the parents are very rude and after the show very crude. I think 4-H, FFA and any other organization that works with parents should have a parents behavior class, and make all the parents go through it if they want their kids to participate.

Anyway just my twenty cents worth.

R ^ 5":3dn9paye said:
Stephen Clark if you would have to borrow the money ,either from the Bank or even your parents,work a part time job and pay for the feed, med,and show supplies work hard with your calf and make the preimum sale and pay your investment back.Then you might have learned something that will help you out in later life.

certherfbeef has you figured out pretty well.

I can tell Its kids like you, that after your first year of showing.You have seen it all and done it all,and no one can tell you anything cause you already know it all.I doubt any advisor good or bad would be able to put up with you.Its called being spoiled

I have a part time job. My dad pays the expenses for me to show, but if he bought me a few calves that year and I see something I like he says I am not buying that you have enought claves. Then I have to buy them. I will post some pics of my show string and show you what a 16 year old spoiled kid can rasie(remember it me and my little 13 year old sister that run this not a 50 year old man). Then some of the bulls I got for sale. certherbeef I would like to see some pics of your cattle sense you think yours are so much better than mine.

SCfarms":1a1ib95r said:
certherbeef I would like to see some pics of your cattle sense you think yours are so much better than mine.
I never said that mine were better than yours. And I've posted plenty of pictures of my cattle on this board for all to see and comment. Herfs and clubbies.
But just for you...she is a '99 model, calved at 2 and every year since. She is my favorite and the money maker on the farm. Also happens to be a sibling of the steer calf pic that is on the top of the breeds board page right now. Just a bit of info for you Steven, I am tossing around the idea of flushing her to Heat Wave.
IMG_1641.jpg

This is a shortyXherf cross calf, being retained for a replacement. I'd like to see some more bone under her, but she's gonna make quite a cow for me. Better than yours? Maybe not, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;-)
IMG_1669.jpg

In Fort Bend county, somewhere close to Houston, a steer show judge was punched by a mad parent that didn't like the placings.

I know this goes on in the sports end of things, but a steer show...come on!!

WOW. :shock:
eek.gif
eek.gif

I have participated in horse shows run by a national group that I'm part of...the rules have been made laxer over the years, but it used to be that it was a 3-day show, kids stayed on the grounds, parents were not allowed in the barns or past a certain line. Kids couldn't even speak to the parents until the end of the day, after scores were posted and barns were closed. There were impartial adults available and willing to help the kids with questions...and you know, I haven't seen problems from the parents when it's run like that. :lol:

Now my parents...shucks, not only are they not "cow people", but I don't even think they know how many head of cows I have right now. :lol: I tell them what I'm up to and what I'm buying or selling and I just get a "uh huh". :p After the initial loans when I was 10 and 11 for my first two calves - which I paid back long ago - I've been on my own. If I want it, I buy it myself with money I've earned and worked for.

Latest posts