What is the world comming to?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sorry I didn't mean to stir things up.

The point of my previous post was that SOME parents are getting too involved and not letting the kids do things on there own. There are way more kids doing things on their own, and I commend them for that, than kids that are getting help from mom and dad.

Off this topic, I do have a question about fitting though. Has anyone seen a nice "fluffy" calf out in a pasture? What is the point of making these calves puffy and fluffy. Half the time I think the only thing they are missing is a pretty pink bow. Why aren't calves bathed and then combed/brushed in the natural lay of their coat? I am guessing that fluffing them covers any minor flaws and also makes them look more full and uniform, if that is the correct word to use.

Thanks for any answers to this question.

Just more evidence of the decay in self control, the moral and ethical decay of some within our society. Makes it difficult to teach the youth how they should control their emotions and think with a clear head. Hopefully they will upgrade the charges to felony and give him the opportunity to do a little jail time. JMO

Yes, Cheyenne, the "fluffy" hair is to cover up any small defects & to "shape" them into what they want the animal to look like. On one side, I have to commend them for all the work it takes to get a calf looking like that - that is IF THE child DID THE WORK.
I am a firm believer in parents helping & supporting the junior with their project. Without interested parents, the kids would never get to be so involved.
BUT, this is a big BUT, I believe the child should do the work appropriate for the age. If there is a little 10 year old that can't carrry a bucket of water, yes, let someone else carry it, but she/he can stay there & hold it while the calf is drinking. As they grow & get stronger, NOONE, should be doing ANY of the WORK - like washing, clipping, brushing, fitting, feeding, etc.
If, at a young age, someone else is doing all the fitting, when does the child ever get GOOD enough to do their own fitting. It is best to let them make their mistakes as a beginner, than as a teenager.
I will brag here - my grandsons are 13 & 15, and they were hired by a professional fitter to bone up 15 head of Herefords at the Big E (Eastern National States) Ma.
Now, when they were 4 & 6, they used to have to stand on milk crates to brush their cattle, but their mom & dad let them wash and blow them out themselves. At 6 & 8 they were buzzing all the hair off at home till they couldn't hold the clippers because they were too heavy for them.
What it boils down to, is if you let them make mistakes, they will learn how to get things done the right way.
That's the biggest problem. We, as parents, don't want to see our child do something wrong and be criticized, so we "do it" for them.

Jeanne,

Thank you for the information on fitting.

Your points about the children doing the work is exactly what I was trying to say. You just said it much better. Thank you.

I started up a Junior Fall Festival - lots of different quizzes plus showmanship, fitting & cattle show. I had signs all over the building -- "Parents - Hands Off" "You can be responsible for disqualifying your child from competition if you do his/her work" Trust me, it worked!!!

SCfarms":2s2vs59q said:
R ^ 5":2s2vs59q said:
Stephen Clark if you would have to borrow the money ,either from the Bank or even your parents,work a part time job and pay for the feed, med,and show supplies work hard with your calf and make the preimum sale and pay your investment back.Then you might have learned something that will help you out in later life.

certherfbeef has you figured out pretty well.

I can tell Its kids like you, that after your first year of showing.You have seen it all and done it all,and no one can tell you anything cause you already know it all.I doubt any advisor good or bad would be able to put up with you.Its called being spoiled

I have a part time job. My dad pays the expenses for me to show, but if he bought me a few calves that year and I see something I like he says I am not buying that you have enought claves. Then I have to buy them. I will post some pics of my show string and show you what a 16 year old spoiled kid can rasie(remember it me and my little 13 year old sister that run this not a 50 year old man). Then some of the bulls I got for sale. certherbeef I would like to see some pics of your cattle sense you think yours are so much better than mine.

Did certher ever say his were better??? Not taking sides or anything.... just wondering if I missed something?? :oops:

Latest posts