What is the problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Coming from my other thread,

I'll tell, but first I want to see if anyone can guess.

Symptoms,

Newborn calf laid out flat. Head extended back. No suck reflex and cannot stand up. No real muscle control. Cow did not clean. Cows are all vaccinated for major health issues (BVD,IBR, PI3 etc) and on a free choice mineral. Weather was fairly nice although windy. After treatment calf slowly regained control and was able to suck and stand within about 6-8 hours.

Is the calf also premature or a twin?
small size + not cleaning... there's a few likely reasons for a cow not cleaning and Se deficiency is one.
I think I'm lucky enough to not have seen this. I'll second 3way's guess.

Does your area need selenium and are they getting it? What was that other one, white muscle disease? Can't remember

You are all right it was Selenium deficiency. Our area is deficient in selenium and we keep a mineral out with added selenium in it year round. We always seem to have 1 or 2 selenium deficient calves every year regardless of the fact that there is mineral free choice year round. In this calf's case, it took 6 cc's (that is triple the dosage on the bottle) to get it up and going. Usually the recommended dosage is enough and the calf will be up and going within about 2 hours.

we haven't fed a mineral for over 10 years now however we do hit all the newborns with 2cc of BoSe, this seems to eliminate any problems with selenium deficiency (also known as white muscle disease). Occasionally we've had to give a second shot to a calf. Good luck with the rest of calving!

robert":8uexyfsf said:
we haven't fed a mineral for over 10 years now however we do hit all the newborns with 2cc of BoSe, this seems to eliminate any problems with selenium deficiency (also known as white muscle disease). Occasionally we've had to give a second shot to a calf. Good luck with the rest of calving!
After posting I got to thinking they were one and the same

TennesseeTuxedo":128sjvqp said:
Why don't you feed minerals Robert, if I may ask?

I figure cattle are pretty adaptable, all things being equal a cow will either keep doing her job, getting bred, have a calf, raise it and do it all again, if they don't do that here they grow wheels, no excuses, no exceptions. We rotationally graze and feed good quality home raised hay outside of the growing season, no grain or creep feed. We know there is a selenium deficiency in our area but other than the shot to calves we have found the cows and yearlings can not just tolerate the deficiency but thrive under the conditions we provide. If it wasn't working we'd change things but after almost 12 years I see no reason to alter the system.