What is the most you ever paid per head

Help Support CattleToday:

expensive hobby

Reaction score
With the sell off of breed stock the price of cattle is fixin to soar. Just wondering whats the most anyone has ever paid a head of cattle? I'm not talking about fancy stuff or those fluffy club animals, I'm talking about breed stock, commercials, pairs, steers, cows, heifers, or bulls. Then on the other hand, what is the least that you ever paid of an animal?

Paid 2500 for one cow. The least was Granny, 650 with a calf at side, that was 13 years ago.

I'm paying around $1,800 for pairs right now. I don't like it but with a good steer to sell at these prices that cow is pretty cheap if she's bred back on time.
Two of my best cows were bought about three years ago in the three hundred dollar range as pairs. That year I bough a bunch of cheap pairs right before prices went up and made my money back on the calves with the cows still in the pasture. :D

Most I've paid for a cow was $10,700. Within 3 years she'd returned 10 times that amount. Most I've gotten was $12,500 for a son of that cow.

Most I paid was this year $1350 for 3 in 1 registered Santa Gertrudis least I ever paid was from the sale barn a charalois x jersey heifer for $450. Made more money off of that cow than any other she would raise a calf that out weighed the others by 100 lbs and you could not tell it had any dairy cow in the calf. They always brought close to top dollar had her for 19 years never missed or lost a calf.

Cheapest I paid:
Bought 18-24 month old open brangus heifer for $450 a peice, and their yearling sisters for $350.
They were all in good shape. Nothing wrong with them.

The guy could make a killing at the sale barn,but he would rather see his cattle go to a good person than go to the salebarn.

He set his price and we went for it!!

Can I get an "a" for the win? Or leave it out..didn't notice that till it was brought up

We paid 7500 for a national champion, but she died not two weeks after being on the ranch (her ET daughter was struck by lightning a few years later without leaving us with any serviceable offspring). We paid 400 or so to buy a heifer calf out of a bull we had sold to a guy; she's turned into a really nice two year old.

Most I paid was $2400 each for two cows, one is my best cow, the other never had a calf and was hauled to the sale barn. Least I paid was $1100 for a heifer, she is one of my better cows now.

Come to think of it, I have about $2300 each in a couple of Wagyu calves, bought embryos and paid someone to put them in some recips and raise them till weaning time.

Paid $2000 for a bred cow who had produced an AI quality sire. 4 months later she aborted the calf she was carrying. She's gonna get preg checked in a couple of weeks. She better be bred!

I have never bought a cow, but the most that I have paid for a purebred hereford yearling heifer was $900... I am sure that it helps that I buy them from my uncle... :)

Most was $1250 for 6 brangus pairs. Least was $325 for a young jersey pair, that was starved to death. Wonder what a worm shot and feed will do.

Bought 24 3 Year old pairs with 450wt calves at side a year and a half ago for $1400 each. That's the most I ever paid. 90% were 3-1.

I have paid 2500 a head for some girl's and 300 for some depended on the roll they had to fill.
One of the 2500 dollar girl's is due any day with an AI calf.

most - $1750 for bred 2 yr old heifers. least - $10 at salebarn for a 5 yr old open cow that was lame in both front legs. Even the packers wouldn't bid. All that was wrong was a bad case of foot rot. 2 doses of LA200 and 3 calves later she's still here. Most for a bull - $4275.

Latest posts