What is the going rate for shoeing in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Nothing fancy, just curious what folks pay around the country.

I have an old guy that comes out to the ranch to do my two old saddle horses - charges me $75 apiece, if he supplies the shoes, a bit less if he uses something I have on hand or he is out. His sons do race horses and he swears they charge 100 or more and still use electric equipmant - he does it all by hand.

the farrier we use charges $90 for shoeing now and $20-25 to trim but we usually set up a whole day when he comes so we get a good sized break on the price.

$45 for fronts, $25 a trim. Been awhile since I've had a horse shod all-around, last year it was about $90 and $40 for resets. I am big on leaving my horses barefoot if at all possible. I'm lucky to have three horses with pretty nice feet. Unless I endurance train they really don't seem to need the shoes.

Hey Cowspider,

Put that money you are saving in the bank 'cause you may need it for back surgery or a chiropractor later! Kidding. (sort of) I have done the job but my back says it is worth whatever they ask! (but don't tell 'em)

Even long ago when I was young and agile that was a painful job (I am tall) :cboy:

Mine does shoes for $60 and a trim for $30.

My neighbor has a belgium that my farrier shoes as well. He charges $180 because the horse's feet are so large.

$20 for a trim all the way around.
$35 for shoes on the front.
$50 for shoes all the way around.

I :heart: My Farrier.

Ms Daisy,

I was thinking maybe it was related to drier harder feet out west, but then you would think trimming would vary more as well wouldn't you?

Also kind of surprised only one response of doing it themselves.

I am glad I asked - kind of interesting differences (pats self on back)

Hippie Rancher":30qi3488 said:
I was thinking maybe it was related to drier harder feet out west, but then you would think trimming would vary more as well wouldn't you?

I think its more to do with charging all they can. Most horses are shod these days and most dont know how to do it themselves. Therefore, farriers are necesary. They probably up the prices on shoes because more people get shoes than just a trim. Also, there are not many farriers in our area, so they are more in demand. Resets arent even offered around here

I trimmed my mare once under my farrier's direction, and would like to do it again. Guess it's more an issue of laziness on my part, why I haven't really pursued it more. All my horses are barefoot, and it would certainly save me a healthy amount of cash if I did it myself.

$25 for a trim. I'm in sand, 48" deep and through out the whole county, it's like rding on the beach (except with thorns!). I haven't had shoes on a pony in maybe 6 years.
I have a good friend who used to be a farrier. I watched him shoe a bunch'a ponies. He spent quite a bit of time matching the shoe to the hoof and worked to get the shoe shaped just right for the hoof. I know it took him a lot more time to shoe and he had to keep a bunch of differnet shoes. Back then I was riding a Morgan/Percheron cross and the shoes had to be ordered out of Houston, or made. This stuff drives the costs up.

We don't need to shoe our TWH's or Peruvian Pasos. We also have very deep sand here.

Our Certified Master Farrier around here charges $35 for a trim. Am sure it's probably close to $75 or so for shoeing??

We trim every 2 months.

Latest posts