What is on the other side

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This cow had to walk for miles just to see what is on the other side of the ridge. Then she got stopped just about 50 feet short. She looked so disappointed that I had to take her picture.

kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:
Looks like a cattle guard.

Gate beside the cattle guard. Look at the tire tracks
There is always a gate beside the cattle guard. At least in places where the cattle get moved through.

I am not sure whose cow she is so I am not about to send her to the neighbors. Thinking about I am not sure who the neighbor is up there. Her ear tag had a name along with a number. "Elliot". Pretty sure that isn't her name.

Dave said:
kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:
Looks like a cattle guard.

There is always a gate beside the cattle guard. At least in places where the cattle get moved through.

I am not sure whose cow she is so I am not about to send her to the neighbors. Thinking about I am not sure who the neighbor is up there. Her ear tag had a name along with a number. "Elliot". Pretty sure that isn't her name.
How far might she have traveled looking for a mouthful of grass. Lol

I looked up Elliot in the brand book. Only one close to this location. And that would be through the gate and down the hill on the other side. Maybe she was just homesick? Has just had enough of this sage brush range land and wants to go back flat irrigated meadows along the river.

kenny thomas said:
Dave said:
kenny thomas said:

How far might she have traveled looking for a mouthful of grass. Lol

There is more grass out there than you might think. It has been a great grass year. Timely rains back in May and June. Her calf is laying down on the left side of the picture. He looked great when he stood up. Probably 50% of her weight with 2 months to go to weaning.

I have had a couple through the years a cattle guard meant nothing. They could walk one better than you.
There's two types of cattle guards...those that savvy stock can walk without peril and the others are a death sentence.

Latest posts