What is a good canned hot sauce?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
I normally go to the local Mexican restaurant to get hot sauce but sometimes buy from the grocery store when I can't get by the restaurant.

I have tried many brands and can't find any that I like. Some that say they are hot aren't hot at all. I want to eat the sauce with chips.

What brand do you like?

Pace medium or hot, but it's not like freshly made salsa. Try adding some chopped up cilantro and/or onions to give it a fresher taste.

HOT Pace Picante. Or, HOT Ro-Tel.

If those are not hot enough...add some chopped up fresh Serano peppers...be sure to wear gloves when chopping the Serano's...lol. Other option, chopped Habanero peppers...wear gloves also...

If those are not hot enough for you...you have a stainless steel stomach and gut...lol.

El Pato salsa de jalapeno in the green can. Duck (Pato) on one side, onion, tomato and jalapeno on the other.

Not the Salsa de Tomate in red can or the other (can't remember) in the yellow can.

Thanks guys!

Seems everyone likes something different. Running Arrow Bill, I've always said I have a stomach as tough as an iron skillet. I couldn't eat a habanero though.

I know the sauce is hot enough when I start sweating. Gotta sweat when eating hot sauce or it is no good. :D

Gate Opener,
I hate to to say it, at Wally World in the "Latin" food section, there is a sauce called "Valentina." The cheapest thing in Wally World other than the free toilet. It might be in the other chain stores too.
This stuff tastes good on barbecue, barbecued bologna, and anything else. When you pepper it over the slaw on either sandwich, you won't go back. It has cumin in it, and it gives it a smoother, taste, but you can get it as hot as you want. It still is smooth. You'll just have to try it to see.
Seems like the last bottle I bought was under a dollar. Might be a little more now. Diesel fuel has made the price go up. :roll:
Chuckie

Gate Opener,
You mainly smoke it slow.
Take a large stick of it, and cut a gash in it half way through. Then I stick a few pieces of garlic or onions to hold it open so the smoke can penetrate the center of it. It is important to cut that slash. You actually can cut a "V" in it, but keep it narrow, but deep. I usually get a 5 lb piece, the kind that is covered in a plastic wrap. I don't know if rag bologna is right for this. Be sure to take the plastic wrap off. (Instructions like not to stick a pair of scissors in your eye)

Put it in a Brinkman's smoker, or any other kind of smoker you have, and be sure to put the water pan in it to keep it more moist and the direct heat off of it. Put about 1 1/2 layer of coals across the bottom Then start your fire just in one spot on two or three coals so that it slowly goes across the other coals. Be sure to oil the bologna to keep the outside moist.
When the bologna turns a nice golden brown, be sure to cover it so that the outside doesn't dry or burn.

Usually, I have a pan that I put mine in and put a few tiny holes in the top of it, and put it back in the smoker so that more smoke will get in. You must heat it all the way through for the smoke to penetrate the meat. You can wrap it up with aluminum foil and it should have enough smoke in it to penetrate the center when it is heated.

Just remember, you aren't cooking it, you are smoking it. So don't rush it. The process takes a couple of hours if you can keep your fire temp low. If you have a seasoned smoker, you don't have to litterly have smoke, the sides of the smoker are what will give the flavor.

When I get a new smoker of any kind. I put a sack of charcoal in it, then take a metal can then put some bacon grease in it so that it smokes like crazy. It will get so hot it smokes and covers the surface of the inside of your smoker. It burns the oils used in making the smoker too. After this, you are ready to smoke anything and the flavoring is set in the smoker for anything now. Each time you cook with it, the flavoring keeps getting better.

When smoking the bologna, just be sure to not let it burn, you have to keep an eye on it. Then slice it, put it on a hamburger bun, sweet slaw and some Valentina hot sauce, and you'll turn your nose up to a regular barbecue sandwich.

You can slice it and put wax paper between the slices and freeze it so that you always have some to eat. I like home made chow-chow on it with the hot sauce too.

This is not a mustard or mayo type sandwich. Treat it as barbecue. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

It don't get any better than this!
Chuckie

Man :shock: My only advice :( If y'all ever get up to "up nort MN" bring your hot sauce with you. The most spicy stuff you will find up here is back pepper. [maybe] :shock: :roll: :help:

The only canned sauce I've taken a liking to is Don Enriques SALSA CASERA. Sold in the refridgerated produce section at Wal Mart. But not all Wal Marts. The Wal Mart in Vidalia which has more Mexican shoppers on a weekend than live in the city of Guadalajara does not sell it. The Wal Mart in Eastman which gets few Mexican shoppers does sell it. Try it if you can find it.

One thing I like about Wal Mart: when they find out you like something, they only order it twice a year. Either you buy as much as you can eat for six months, or you walk past the shelf where it is supposed to be, filled in with something to hide the empty shelf. Then finally, several months later, you happen to see in on a different shelf in a completely different isle. They constantly re-arrange everything. Idiots! Who does these studies thinking we like to hunt for our food each time we walk past the greeter. Like we want to spend all Saturday morning hunting the stuff, then standing in line where they have only two checkers working and the other twenty stations closed including the self checkers. Why can't they leave things alone? It is quicker to set things up to go deer hunting, go kill it, drag it home and dress it than it takes to get groceries at Wal Mart.
Chuckie

:lol: So true , Chuckie. They used to sell SALSA CASERA at the Vidalia Wal Mart. Then one day they didn't have it. I asked the girl putting up produce about it and she said "oh, we're not going to be getting that anymore". Really, the stuff sold like hotcakes, could hardly be kept on the shelf. Now, when I'm in Eastman I buy 5 or 6 jars and bring home and put in the fridge.

Latest posts