What I'm seeing today

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve":8ur9i1u0 said:

I'm sure I've been muddier than I was yesterday but I can't remember when. That's the tail end of a half mile section of pipe with a huge pneumatic hammer in the end of it. Pipe pulled really well....except the last 30 ft.
Absolutely fascinating the stuff some of you guys do. Was a pretty sharp cat that figured out how to push a half of mile of pipe that size. Is that the one that goes under the river? Sorry but you fencing boys driving pipe ain't as impressive now.

pricefarm":31v2ln90 said:
ohiosteve":31v2ln90 said:

I'm sure I've been muddier than I was yesterday but I can't remember when. That's the tail end of a half mile section of pipe with a huge pneumatic hammer in the end of it. Pipe pulled really well....except the last 30 ft.

Is that a gas pipe? That's huge.
Yes that's a gas line. 42" diameter. Craziest part is last summer we did the same thing. It is 2 lines 20 ft apart. As we were pulling this one the first one is already live. They start in West Virginia and run into Michigan and then Branch out into Canada. There is a lot of gas in the OH/PA/WV tri-state area.

SmokinM":2bvqdrt0 said:
ohiosteve":2bvqdrt0 said:

Absolutely fascinating the stuff some of you guys do. Was a pretty sharp cat that figured out how to push a half of mile of pipe that size. Is that the one that goes under the river? Sorry but you fencing boys driving pipe ain't as impressive now.
Yes that pipe is going under a river. It is not just pushing with the hammer, mostly the drilling rig is pulling the pipe string through the bore hole. It is only if needed that the air hammer is used. I've learned a lot in the past couple years and am still amazed that this is possible.

ohiosteve":399jn4mv said:
SmokinM":399jn4mv said:
ohiosteve":399jn4mv said:

Yes that pipe is going under a river. It is not just pushing with the hammer, mostly the drilling rig is pulling the pipe string through the bore hole. It is only if needed that the air hammer is used. I've learned a lot in the past couple years and am still amazed that this is possible.
Sounds really interesting. Would like to see more about that whole process.
How does the the rig tie on to the pipe to be able to pull it? Is it a regular drilling rig?
How deep is the pipe in the ground?

greybeard":dtphjcdv said:
Sounds really interesting. Would like to see more about that whole process.
How does the the rig tie on to the pipe to be able to pull it? Is it a regular drilling rig?
How deep is the pipe in the ground?
The drilling rig uses a lot of the same components as a vertical rig. Same type of hydraulic drives, same power units same mud cleaning units/shakers and same concept of pumping the drilling mud through the drill pipe and pretty much the same types of reamers. The tricky one is the pilot hole which is 12". The pilot is drilled with a bit that is powered by the drilling mud and the direction of the bit is controlled by gps. This particular bore was about 120' below surface at the deepest. After the final reamer is run through the bore 54" in this case the drill pipe is hooked to the line with a huge swivel and cable. The cable is huge, I'd say 4" diameter. The cable is hooked to the gas pipe with a huge( and I mean huge) clevis, through a pull head that is welded on the end of the pipe. Then the rig pulls the pipe through 30' at a time removing drill pipes one at a time. The gas pipe is supported on about 100 big rollers and by sidebooms with roller slings. In this picture you can see the pull head but the drill pipe is not connected yet.

I though watching the local gas company bore a 12" or so natural gas line under a four line hwy was impressive. They don't have anything on y'all

SmokinM":3ee4a7jm said:
ohiosteve":3ee4a7jm said:

HA! I drove a miles worth yesterday, and didn't even need 10 extra hands jammed in pockets while I worked.

Seriously, that is pretty dang neat. I'd like to see the process one day.

skyhightree1":gzge9qqf said:
Jogeephus":gzge9qqf said:
skyhightree1":gzge9qqf said:

Trucker is from England I think.

Yes you are correct apparently a lot of our drivers here are from England.

I'm not a fan of people texting and driving but I had some stupid woman stop in the middle of the state highway to text a message or to change here status on Facebook. Stupid woman was probably posting about how she was a victim of road rage after we parted company.

Jogeephus":13hvm8m9 said:
skyhightree1":13hvm8m9 said:
Jogeephus":13hvm8m9 said:
Trucker is from England I think.

Yes you are correct apparently a lot of our drivers here are from England.

I'm not a fan of people texting and driving but I had some stupid woman stop in the middle of the state highway to text a message or to change here status on Facebook. Stupid woman was probably posting about how she was a victim of road rage after we parted company.

LMAO

I made a couple trips down south dropping off some equipment and I was sure I passed by some CT members. Beautiful cattle country. Can anyone guess where I was?

20180507_141422_zps3by425ba.jpg

20180508_183019_zpstoxrk3iq.jpg

Brute 23":2aed9fv2 said:
ohiosteve":2aed9fv2 said:
No Brute not that far south. The nearest town I saw was called Penhook. Is that a coil tubing rig?

Yes sir it is.
They're getting real popular up here. There was a blowout in February that blew out over 2 miles of tubing into the clouds, a buddy of mine had a cell phone video of it, it was absolutely insane.

ohiosteve":1c4anrgf said:
Brute 23":1c4anrgf said:
ohiosteve":1c4anrgf said:
No Brute not that far south. The nearest town I saw was called Penhook. Is that a coil tubing rig?

Yes sir it is.
They're getting real popular up here. There was a blowout in February that blew out over 2 miles of tubing into the clouds, a buddy of mine had a cell phone video of it, it was absolutely insane.

They definitely have their purpose. We fish with them and use them for drill-outs after the frac. In that pick we were fishing a wire line plug.

Latest posts