what does

Help Support CattleToday:

Retired so that I can do my cattle operation full time.....unless of course it's Pheasant, Duck, Elk, Deer, Antelope or Quail season!

As far as the cattle are concerned I am shooting for selling 8 to 10 quality bulls a year and hoping the heifers pay the freight for the operation. Probably not gonna get that good but that's the goal.

cp has it.

Success is being happy with where you are right now.
A lot of people will try to impose their ideas of success (education, career, family) but that won't work unless you also internalise that as a measure of success.

Some years ago I was nominated to enter one of the farming 'awards' competitions and one of the judges started asking about family and spare time activities... so did the reporter who came to see me.
That annoyed me because I knew what they were looking for, evidence of a 'well-balanced' 'successful' person and there was no way I could ever measure up to that standard and it was no fault of mine... you can't choose family.
I've been told since that that judge was in the wrong for doing that, but that's how it is, there's no definite description of success but half the world thinks it's defined by *their* description of it. Me plead guilty too.

I have a wonderful wife and two fine sons that married two fantastic young ladies. They have given me five beautiful grandchildren. I've been to more band concerts, track meets, soccer games and t-ball games than I can count, and loved every minute of it. That's what it's all about. I consider myself more successful than I ever imagined, and it has nothing to do with money, fame, or material things.

cow pollinater":11bzqs25 said:
Happy, healthy, and making foreward progress financially... In that order.
That's about perfect. I would just add, being the best father I can be. My own father was the best I have ever seen. He didn't give me material things, he taught me to be a hard worker and a money manager. He taught me to know the truth, and to tell the truth, and the truth will set you free. If I can be half the father he was, and still accomplish what CP said I'll be successful.

Some very good answers. It reminds me of another question I was asked a few years ago. What would you like to see written on your tombstone? My answer to that was one word, faithful. To live a life of faithfulness to my God, my family, my job and my fellow man would mean success to me. However this will not be because I have already failed in so many ways but even with failures behind me it does not mean that I stop trying. The thing that gives me hope is forgiveness from those that I let down and I am glad for a forgiving God and family. I don't know how successful I have been in life but who knows Maybe someday when I stand before the great judge he may just say to me well done good and faithful servant. Now that would be the greatest success.

Deepsouth":2wjq1xgy said:
Some very good answers. It reminds me of another question I was asked a few years ago. What would you like to see written on your tombstone? My answer to that was one word, faithful. To live a life of faithfulness to my God, my family, my job and my fellow man would mean success to me. However this will not be because I have already failed in so many ways but even with failures behind me it does not mean that I stop trying. The thing that gives me hope is forgiveness from those that I let down and I am glad for a forgiving God and family. I don't know how successful I have been in life but who knows Maybe someday when I stand before the great judge he may just say to me well done good and faithful servant. Now that would be the greatest success.
Amen

Deepsouth":3q1defmc said:

The best thing to put on a tombstone: "He always did his damnedest"

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dream,
and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined,
he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

~Henry David Thoreau

I dont have time to take care of what I already have. To want more seems futile. I don't know if that makes me successful or unsuccessful.

Deepsouth":1mzligr3 said:

Can't get a much better answer than this as far as I'm concerned. Well done.

#1 to be truly loved for who and what you are by someone

#2 finding that one person who you can truly say you love

#3 having atleast 1 person who you can say is your best friend

#4 being content with what you have and what you are doing

#5 being respected by yourself and others

I hope I can say I am successful as I feel I have completed #1 thru 4 and I a hope others can say that I am #5

When I die I want people to say .. " he was a good man " from helping others .And raising my children to be good people .

There is a monument in the local cementary I always thought said it all.
It is listed like this.
Christian
Loving Son, Husband,Father, Grandfather
Cattleman

Yea Caustic, them ol timers had a way with words...Short and to the point. Favorite one I saw in a church cemetary up in your neck of the woods said...." He Lived and Died A Texican"

Latest posts