What does old fence weigh?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
I have 1200 ft of old barbed wire and rotted wooden post fence that I am going to have tear out and rebuild. I am trying to decide on whether to dig a hole and bury it or just haul it the landfill and have it gone off the place. I have a dump to haul it on, but just wondering if anyone knows roughly how many tons this would weigh. It costs $42 a ton to dump it here.

less than you think , If you want to scrap it pile it and set fire to it burn out the post. then you can sell it . it wont bring much. I dug out a 1/4 mile of web wire and barb wire from a burn pile 2 weeks ago. It prolly weighed 1000 to 1500# total
I didn't sell it I piled it out of the way till prices come up and I can get a big load of scrap to sell.

I sold quite a load of old fence to the junk yard. I suspect it is rebar now. Rolling it up was a pain in the rear because it kept catching grass.

On the flood plains I always dug and hole and flattened it in the hole. Down deep. Had to remember where the hole was for next time a flood took out the fence. Didn't want to dig in to it again.

M-5":2exwyxgo said:
less than you think , If you want to scrap it pile it and set fire to it burn out the post. then you can sell it . it wont bring much. I dug out a 1/4 mile of web wire and barb wire from a burn pile 2 weeks ago. It prolly weighed 1000 to 1500# total
I didn't sell it I piled it out of the way till prices come up and I can get a big load of scrap to sell.

I try to stay round 190 but I'm about 220 right now.
M5 gave you your best bet.
Definitely your best bet. Prices right now are about 4 cents a pound. You'll get it off your place and half enough to take mama out for dinner.

callmefence":2qp6jqsd said:
M-5":2qp6jqsd said:

Definitely your best bet. Prices right now are about 4 cents a pound. You'll get it off your place and half enough to take mama out for dinner.

What about the steeples? Dig a shallow hole to burn it in and then cover them up?

hillbilly beef man":r6lypmki said:
callmefence":r6lypmki said:
M-5":r6lypmki said:

What about the steeples? Dig a shallow hole to burn it in and then cover them up?

Yeah I have a dedicated burn hole. We don't cover it up. Just a hole dug out to keep the debris from getting scattered. The heat of the fire seems to make staples and nails rust away quicker to.idk

hillbilly beef man":1vjnkec6 said:
M-5":1vjnkec6 said:
Steeples are on church's
. Staples are used to hold papers together, steeples are to hold wire on wooden post.

You guys are both wrong, here they're called fence clips. :lol2:

TexasBred":1t23x4lv said:
Google "Fence Staples". :nod:

Okay I did. Wish I wouldn't have. There are folks out there more twisted than here. "U Nails"???

"may also be used for attaching suspended ceilings to wood rafters"

There is more.

weight weight weight! Okay TB, eye sea watt ewe mint.

Traditionally called fence steeples in this part of Kentucky. May be a colloquialism but that is a fact Jack!

In the midwest, many people (farmers/ranchers) pronounce the fastener driven into a post for holding wire as steeple. I grew up that way too. Emmett Redd. A Way with WORDS.

callmefence":fkk8jxw4 said:
M-5":fkk8jxw4 said:

Cheap dinner at best. Going back to the thread a about restaurant prices I can take my wife out for Mexican for 25 bucks between the two of us, American at least 40, red lobster at least 50, and if we want any kind of steaks figure at least 60!!

This is our favorite restaurant it's in the country in a little wood frame building surrounded by corn fields but the atmosphere and food quality is among best we've found:

http://thespeakeasyrestaurant.com/Home. ... irect=true

Latest posts