what do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

cattle gal

Reaction score
let me know what you think of these 2 steers both share the same father a reg angus bull there mothers are reg charlais cows they will be 12 months old in febuary of this year and they both weigh right at about 800 lbs

first one is my steer sexy beast
P1160033.jpg

and the second one is boo boo my little brothers steer
P1160035.jpg

what do you think ?

Never seen a spotted calf out of Angus X Charolais....Do you own the cow and bull? Just trying to figure out how you get a spotted calf when most, if not all I've seen have been smokey colored. Good luck with them!!

ya we actually got them off a farmer we do hay for and i picked the spotted calf out at just 2 days old and got to see his mother and father he showed me the paper work and everything i thought it was weird for the color to come off them like that but thats kinda why i picked him was cause he was out of the ordinary. the picture makes him look small but i will try to get some pics of his back and all cause he is super wide the problem i am halving is that the scale is showing that he is not gaining weight but he is getting bigger in belly and height i have put him on 6 different kinds of feed and nothing is moving the scale . any one got any input on that ?

i have fed him
tractor supplys dumor steer- wont touch it
local feed stores
cattle chow - dosnt gain anything
lakeland cash feed - eating great not gaining
seminoles cattle show -wont gain
seminoles universal steer- wont gain
mixed sweet cattle- wont gain
right now he is on lakeland cashs beef max and he is eating it but is not gaining the other steer that is on it is gaining 100 every week mine has put on maybe 20 lbs in 3 weeks and they are both eating 25 lbs of feed a day anything i had my steer on that he would eat he was getting 25 lbs a day and still would not gain

also final steer weigh in is in april and he has to weigh at least 905 lbs by then i just straped him yesterday and he is weighing about 700 and the other one is at 850 so it dont look good i have put a protein block and molasses block out for him hoping he will gain a little off that but im not sure what else to do

wowow. he's an eye catcher. i like him. he does need a little bit more depth. but other than that i like him.

but about your feed problem...
Walpole or Gator feeds. i suggest you try walpole before gator because gator sometimes has big molasses chunks in it but not often. Walpole is also $3 cheaper than purina Show Chow down here. my steers are gaining pretty good on the walpole.

Also, give him some probiotics. I've always found that works with a steer that is hard to get on feed. His stomach is probably feeling pretty messed up with all the feed changes, so that wouldnt help with your situation either.

And remember, some animals just never take to lot feeding.

I like the second one. Had a 4-H steer like him. Did the place you got him from have other calves like the spotted steer or was he the only one?

Have you tried Acco's Showmaster you should be able to find it at your local feed store that carries Nutrena. We have been having a weight problem this year so we switched our steers to the showmaster from gator feed and they are starting to gain and they seem to really like it.

ya actually were i got him there was about 6 more calves that were colored like that but they were all heifers .we are good friends with the guy we got these steers from and i go out with my horse and help him move cattle from pasture to pasture and i picked this calf out at 2 days old and had him tag him for me so he wouldnt sell him and then when he was 6 months i went and picked him up . we rode back through his pastures about a week ago and i picked out a bull and two heifers that were almost the same color for open shows and for cattle to take to oklahoma with me cause i liked the color so much .whats the acco showmaster look like ? we used to feed ringmaster but cant seem to find it this year .

Accos Showmaster I believe has replaced the Ringmaster because Acco and Nutrena are owned by the same company. I noticed that you are from Brooksvill. I am south of you. I want to know does you fair have restrictions on where kids can purchase steer calves from? I had some late Dec. bull calves this year so they are to young for our fair and they are nice calves I hate to send them to market because they are nice calves.

it dont matter were our steers come from they get prizes if there born in this county and win like grand or what have you but alot of people get theres from out of county we have our weigh ins in september each year and i know by like our weigh in this year was septmeber 15th and the steers cant be under 12 months at that point and no older than 24 months by our show in april .out of probably 38 steers we have 1 or 2 that could even be eligable to be reg or even pure bred at that. no body really spends alot on the steers at our county cause we only make i think the highest price per pound last year was 4.00 and that was for grandchampion steer everything else went for 3.50 a pound and under . and its been like that for at least the past 25 years its bad .what are you getting on the calves i can spread the word about them if you want we have alot of open show people down here that might be interested in them .

can someone explain to me how you genetically get a spotted calf out of a Angus X Char. im not saying your lying about the breeding or nothing. i just want to learn.

Try Vitaferm,they have a couple of products that you can use to top dress the feed with. One is Appetite Plus and the other is Sure Champ Cattle. We use the Sure Champ and it works. They also have Ameferm in them. This will stimulate digestive micro-organisms for digestion.

I would like to know too.

We have a friend who has angus x charlois crosses and they look like the second steer. The body types of the two steers is very different.

The spotted one looks a lot like a neighbor's longhorns minus the horns.

chippie":24qj3odl said:
I would like to know too.

We have a friend who has angus x charlois crosses and they look like the second steer. The body types of the two steers is very different.

The spotted one looks a lot like a neighbor's longhorns minus the horns.

And I thought that I was going crazy :banana: I have been wondering the same thing. To me, the first one is not a CharxAngus, I just don't see it possible. Im not real sure what other breeding there could be there because I have never seen a spotted calf out of that kind of cross... :?:

they actually have the same build i just cant get my steer to be normal when i put the show stick on him he always wants to stretch and suck his belly way up no matter how light or heavy i put the show stick on him he does the same thing . i will get some more pics of him and post them . his mother is a white/off white color her nose like the skin on it is spotted but that was about it the guy we got them off of he does all his beef 100 % organic casue he sells for burcher and they bring more money down here so he only has charlais and black angus cause he says they eat out better.he has some roping cattle the coreintia ( dont remeber how to spell that lol )but he keeps them at the rodeo grounds cause he uses them for his rodeo they have no contact with the char. cows . and like i had said i seen the mother and father its just one of those freak things .but i will try to get more pics of him to post so maybe you can see him better

Latest posts