What Do You Think of This?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Someone that buys only Short Mouth or Short, Short Mouth cattle that are Bred? Can that individual make any profit? My thoughts are to buy only younger, sound cattle that are in for the long haul, until they prove otherwise...I would think it as an inferior type cow herd. What do you think?

A friend of mine does that all the time. He gets the calf, keeps it on the cow for a couple of months then hauls them to the sale barn. Sells the calves as light weight feeders and the cows as kill cows. Makes money most of the time. But last year he had a couple of cows die and lost his butt that year.

dun

I would think the initial price would have tons to do with it. But would say a person could make a little profit. Good managment can keep old cows around. Seams like it is risky with todays market.

Scotty

Fellow down the road buys only cheap heavy breds. Must work for him. He's been doing it for 16 yrs. that I know of.
If can get the cow back in shape he sells as cow/calf pairs. If not he sells slaughter cows and light claves or slaughter cows and (nicer/bigger) calves raised and sold for locker beef.

If the cost of the broken mouth is low enough I think it would be a good idea. I bought all brokens from a guy who mouths every year and sells anything broke. So I assume that if he has kept that cow around for 6 years or more, she must raise a good calf, or she would've been gone years ago. Brokens have been going for about $800 with bred heifers as high as $1400 around here. And since I have to dry lot and feed in the winter condition isn't much of an issue for me.

I can find decent broken mouth type cows around home for 550-700. NO need to pay 800 for them. I do know of a person that has a bunch of 250 for sale for between 850-900. There is money in it if you get the right cows for at or under 650 or so. I'd go over my numbers but PM if you want them.

IMO it would be a way to make a few $$$ if you had free feed.
I don't do it because of all the extra hidden costs involved, fuel labor, lunch and I don't have all that much pasture available the greater part of the year.

I'd suggest just buying bred cows now and keep them on stalks through the winter and reselling in the spring as pairs or killers and bottle calves.

i do it occasionally depending on price, condition of cow etc etc etc.
have made a few bucks doing it but not got rich!!
more of a sporting speculation for me here in az!!nothing major though just 1 or 2 at a time. i try to buy late 2nd or 3rd tri! get the calves on feed asap and put wheels under em as soon as i can!! have kept a couple of steers for freezer stock!!!

Most years there is alot of money to be made buying thin, suckled down short solid cows in September bred in the 1st period. They will normally go for a low slaughter price. You can winter them and then sell them as green tag in February or to make more money, freshen them out and sell the pairs in April. It is difficult to make much money if you buy the fat short solid cows, they weigh out too much money and they already look real good, which is what you are supposed to do. Buy them when they are the worst they will ever look and make them look the best they will ever look and then sell them. You can make money on broken mouth cows if you buy them as second periods in October and November and freshen them out and then sell the 400 lb calf in July and weigh out the old cow for slaughter. If you buy broken mouth, they have to be in decent shape, you cant buy thin broken mouths going into winter.

crowderfarms,

I think it depends on the ranch environment and end objective.

I know a guy who does pretty well doing it. I have never followed his routine but he keeps doing it and looks reasonably successful. Alibeit many would think the cows are not attractive.

We have found that it is an excellent way to add good genetic
lines at a reasonable price if done correctly. For example,one of our top herd sires is a son of an aged cow bought from a large breeder bred with good genetics. We thought the calf she was carrying would be the last before she broke down. She continued to look good holding at about 1100# and we AI'd her and three calves later(I would be embarassed to say what the other 2 sold for 8) ) we sold her as slaughter for about 2/3 of what we gave for her. She required a little extra nutrition at intervals. We have and are doing that again.The larger breeder doesn't have the time to devote personal attention so they cull.

Latest posts