What do you think of this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
IMG1153_012.jpg

IMG1166_025.jpg

I like him. Looks like a nicely balanced bull with some good qualities.

That's a good looking bull what do you guesstimate he weighs. I am looking for a new bull and he will do when can you bring him over?

tuck":mkzwrynj said:
That's a good looking bull what do you guesstimate he weighs. I am looking for a new bull and he will do when can you bring him over?

I would guess him to be somewhere around 2100.

We do have some of his calves we are keeping as bulls that we are going to sell.

VanC":3946rgvi said:
Looks real good to me. How old is he?

He just turned 4 this spring.

He has just been on grass all summer running with about 20 cows & heifers

I seriously am looking for a new bull and I thought I would go with a Balancer bull (Black calves) and AI my Red Polls and Reg Angus but seeing that makes me want to go with what I really want and not worry about the black hide.

Based on his calves he will definitely put some meat on em. We plan on putting a couple in a bull test just to see what they will do.

I assume that this is a Red Angus Bull. He is a fine example of a bull which should be a fine help to any Commercial herd, and a lot of Registered herds.

There are not enough pictures of him in different positions to even begin an operative review of his qualities. A view with the head down grazing or eating distorts the phenotype, and is not depicting an honest evaluation of the individual. The camera angle on both pictures is just fine, but we need to see a rear view, and also a front view also. What is his reg. number? What are his EPD's?

DOC HARRIS

warpaint":2bys3xjc said:
Nice long bodied animal, If I had to find fault,

He's a little pinched in his heart.
The comment regarding the pinched heartgirth: warpaint - you are very observant! It takes a good eye to really notice that condition, but warpaint is right. It is not drastic, but it IS there. Of course, most cattle have that fault to a certain extent. One little "trick" to note when looking at an animal which you suspect of "heartgirth problems" is - the more 'pinched' a heartgirth appears, the more "splayed-out' the individuals feet appear to be. A way of demonstrating this condition: hold your arms out in front of you at shoulder height with the palms of your hands facing away from you and your fingers pointing toward the ceiling - thumbs pointing toward each other. Now, from this position, attempt to touch the BOTTOM of your elbows together without touching your hands together. See how your hands (hoofs in the case of an animal) rotate outward? This is what happens with an animal with a pinched heartgirth - front feet splay outward, causing improper walking and moving, difficulty in carrying calves in the case of a female, and difficulty in mounting cows during breeding in the case of a bull. A little thing - perhaps - but it shortens the productive life of an animal, and that costs MONEY! And, of course, a pinched heartgirth (lack of spring of rib) results in a reduced body capacity and lung capacity, which means smaller calves, more difficult pregnancy's, and possibly a tendency toward Brisket disease, also known as High Mountain Disease, Dropsy, high Pulmonary Arterial Pressure - heart attacks. You don't want to continue to breed that condition into your herd.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":23aev9xx said:
I assume that this is a Red Angus Bull. He is a fine example of a bull which should be a fine help to any Commercial herd, and a lot of Registered herds.

There are not enough pictures of him in different positions to even begin an operative review of his qualities. A view with the head down grazing or eating distorts the phenotype, and is not depicting an honest evaluation of the individual. The camera angle on both pictures is just fine, but we need to see a rear view, and also a front view also. What is his reg. number? What are his EPD's?

DOC HARRIS

NOT a Red Angus....a registered Red Poll :D :D

DOC HARRIS":2mcjnrwc said:
warpaint":2mcjnrwc said:
Nice long bodied animal, If I had to find fault,

He's a little pinched in his heart.
The comment regarding the pinched heartgirth: warpaint - you are very observant! It takes a good eye to really notice that condition, but warpaint is right. It is not drastic, but it IS there. Of course, most cattle have that fault to a certain extent. One little "trick" to note when looking at an animal which you suspect of "heartgirth problems" is - the more 'pinched' a heartgirth appears, the more "splayed-out' the individuals feet appear to be. A way of demonstrating this condition: hold your arms out in front of you at shoulder height with the palms of your hands facing away from you and your fingers pointing toward the ceiling - thumbs pointing toward each other. Now, from this position, attempt to touch the BOTTOM of your elbows together without touching your hands together. See how your hands (hoofs in the case of an animal) rotate outward? This is what happens with an animal with a pinched heartgirth - front feet splay outward, causing improper walking and moving, difficulty in carrying calves in the case of a female, and difficulty in mounting cows during breeding in the case of a bull. A little thing - perhaps - but it shortens the productive life of an animal, and that costs MONEY! And, of course, a pinched heartgirth (lack of spring of rib) results in a reduced body capacity and lung capacity, which means smaller calves, more difficult pregnancy's, and possibly a tendency toward Brisket disease, also known as High Mountain Disease, Dropsy, high Pulmonary Arterial Pressure - heart attacks. You don't want to continue to breed that condition into your herd.

DOC HARRIS

Some of what you are saying may be true but I can tell he does not lack spring of rib or body capacity and he doesn't have any trouble walking. In fact when we showed him the judges said he traveled very well.

You just can't make a good assessment of a bull from a couple of photos. You really need a good video clip that shows him from all angles and, yes, in motion. If a bull isn't correct in his movement what good is he? Also, on a four year old bull I would want to see his epds and some progeny photos/records. No bull is perfect but the goal should be to avoid any faults that affect his ability to do his job.

tuck":2m486f2u said:
I seriously am looking for a new bull and I thought I would go with a Balancer bull (Black calves) and AI my Red Polls and Reg Angus but seeing that makes me want to go with what I really want and not worry about the black hide.

Why would you lower your standards by bringing a black hided bull into your herd? I believe crossing your Red Polls with your Red Angus would produce some highly profitable calves even if they aren't black.

He's a nice looking bull. Can you tell me his frame size?

Also, what was it about Red polls that made you decide to go with them vs Red Angus or some other breed?

Latest posts