what do you think about this?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
My son came home form school last Friday said his social studies teacher gave the class a test, but when he handed my son his test he told him to do only 1 essay question and some of the multiple choice answers were crossed out-My son said he saw that his test was different than the other kids in his class, he said he felt bad-and wondered why it was. My older son who graduated a few years ago said that some of the teachers give the slower kids these kinds of tests to help them along, well of course I got kind of miffed about it, because my son is a Straight A student and there is no reason that any teacher should think he was slow-I contacted the teacher and he said that he had made a mistake and had given my son a modified version of the test, and that he knew he did not need it-that he could keep the test score he got or take the normal version-it was his mistake. Anyways when I told my son this, he said that it wasn't a mistake when he gave him the test-he knew what he was doing-plus a few weeks ago he had given him a map with all the states on it and capitols and told him he could use it on the test-my son didn't, but honestly i have never heard of this before, and like I said I am kind of confused as to why this guy would think my son was slow, in need of extra help-I made it clear to him that from now on, he is to take all the normal tests and do all the normal homework just like all the other kids-I was nice about it, but if it continues I won't hesitate to forward all the correspondence to a person higher up. I want to believe the teacher that he just made a simple mistake but it sounds fishy to me-what do you all think?

In order for your son to be eligible for the modified test he would have to have an IEP individual education plan. They are not easy to get either. When my oldest was in school he had one because of his ADHD.

Get the map, the test and anythign else you have and try to schedule a conference with the principal AND the teacher. Find out what the heck is going on. How can a teacher decide your child needs "special ed" after less than 2 weeks in class. I'd get answers.

GMN":97s6vr9o said:
My son came home form school last Friday said his social studies teacher gave the class a test, but when he handed my son his test he told him to do only 1 essay question and some of the multiple choice answers were crossed out-My son said he saw that his test was different than the other kids in his class, he said he felt bad-and wondered why it was. My older son who graduated a few years ago said that some of the teachers give the slower kids these kinds of tests to help them along, well of course I got kind of miffed about it, because my son is a Straight A student and there is no reason that any teacher should think he was slow-I contacted the teacher and he said that he had made a mistake and had given my son a modified version of the test, and that he knew he did not need it-that he could keep the test score he got or take the normal version-it was his mistake. Anyways when I told my son this, he said that it wasn't a mistake when he gave him the test-he knew what he was doing-plus a few weeks ago he had given him a map with all the states on it and capitols and told him he could use it on the test-my son didn't, but honestly i have never heard of this before, and like I said I am kind of confused as to why this guy would think my son was slow, in need of extra help-I made it clear to him that from now on, he is to take all the normal tests and do all the normal homework just like all the other kids-I was nice about it, but if it continues I won't hesitate to forward all the correspondence to a person higher up. I want to believe the teacher that he just made a simple mistake but it sounds fishy to me-what do you all think?

Maybe that's why he is a str8 A student ? He may be getting help like this in all his classes.. j/k
I was in resource classes when I was in Jr. High, everyone thought I was different because I was in there. The ONLY reason I was in there wasn't because I was slow but because I was ADHD according to the Doc.. I needed to be in a smaller class to pay attention, and concentrate on my test and actually do good. It bothered me a lot because other students thought that is why I done good on my test because mine are altered or because the teacher gives me answers. I played Basketball and Golf but it didn't matter people thought I was really different because I was in there.. So finally I had enough and told my parents I wanted out. But they wouldn't allow it, they said if the teachers want me in there then there was a reason. So I finished HS in Resource classes. It sucked, I was always teased during ball practice about being slow. It didn't bother me too much because I knew it wasn't true and I knew my friends were just aggravating me.. In the end I went to my Class reunion, the 10 yr one.. Out of the whole class only 4 students graduated college, I was the only one who graduated with a 4 yr degree.. The other 3 were RN's, 1 guy and 2 girls.. The guy was my buddy from High School, Brad who I hadn't seen since High School. He said RN school was hard on him and he barely passed. When he found out I had a 4 yr degree in Criminal Justice he said how did you do that, you was in those slow classes and he laughed about it.. I said I guess I wasn't as slow as others thought!

bbirder":1q22uz0t said:
Teachers are probably being evaluated on the grades of their pupils. Protecting his position!

Teachers are evaluated by the success rate of their students unfortunately... or atleast here. I have experienced different tests in high school and in college. My wife says I am slow but on a serious note my wifes cousin is a high school teacher and is here and I just asked her about that she said some teachers do that as a way to help prevent cheating and make it more difficult and that if the teacher thinks a student is slow he should have approached the guidance counselor and parents. She thinks it was a mistake or is worried someones cheating off his tests so in a way to catch the person he may have did a switch.

Thanks for the replies, gives me something to think about-I am gonna save my emails from the teacher and see if it happens again, if it does-the guy is toast! No my son has not ever had any help with his homework/tests before, he works hard for his grades, and does not have any developmental issues-in a way this is just another form of cheating,but its cheating the kid. This is 9th grade-just starting high school. I think for whatever reason this is just wrong of a teacher to do this for any kid, I hope he is telling me the truth and it was a honest mistake-if he isn't though I will forward all the correspondence to the principal and go from there

As a parent and school board member you did the right thing going to the teacher first. If you still aren't satisfied and aren't certain it was a mistake I would take it to the principal. I would probably go the principal anyway as this might be affecting other kids through out the class and district. If the principal does cut it go the super and then the board Pres.

Good luck!!!

TennesseeTuxedo":g1d0ixod said:
Get with your school's principal and end this nonsense right away.

I agree 100%. Nip it in the bud right now. It might even be wise to have the teacher present in that meeting to help air it out.

Latest posts