What do you prefer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Do you prefer a oxy/acet torch or a plasma cutter? I am liking the straight line capability of a plasma and such however its a pain dragging out a plasma with the compressor line and electric. I am thinking of buying a plasma cutter with its own compressor in it but it will not be heavy duty I think it will only cut 1/4 inch. Does anyone have a plasma cutter with its own compressor that can let me know what you think of it and the model ?

It would depend on the job, and I have both. Down and dirty, cutting and fixing is the torches. Building from scratch, chop saw and plasma cutter.

Bigfoot":3odwczgu said:
It would depend on the job, and I have both. Down and dirty, cutting and fixing is the torches. Building from scratch, chop saw and plasma cutter.

I agree they both have its place for sure. I have both too but plasma if it weren't for the hoses and electric needed no hands would be the best. I like how the plasma cuts are cleaner. Brings me to another subject... On your chop saw do you use the regular abrasive cutting wheels or a cold cut blade ?

skyhightree1":3g2yymv5 said:
Bigfoot":3g2yymv5 said:

I agree they both have its place for sure. I have both too but plasma if it weren't for the hoses and electric needed no hands would be the best. I like how the plasma cuts are cleaner. Brings me to another subject... On your chop saw do you use the regular abrasive cutting wheels or a cold cut blade ?

Abrasion.

Supa Dexta":1magdwya said:
Metal bandsaw gets used 9.9 times outta 10 here over my chop saw
Mine too. Don;t remember the last time I used the chop saw

A plasma cutter makes quick work out of rusty dirty material is one plus, and the other is how cool and clean a plasma cuts. No grinding and no warped and scalding material. I personally wouldn't by a light duty plasma cutter, you drag 2 hose and a striker when you use a cutting torch.

True Grit Farms":2zfwuz68 said:
A plasma cutter makes quick work out of rusty dirty material is one plus, and the other is how cool and clean a plasma cuts. No grinding and no warped and scalding material. I personally wouldn't by a light duty plasma cutter, you drag 2 hose and a striker when you use a cutting torch.

That is true

On the air supply for the plasma. I think and am probable wrong but the Plasma has to have dry air, air without moisture. Could a person use nitrogen for the air supply.

Can't use just one. Will always need a torch for something.
Ive had a plasma cutter since 99 and love it though.
Course I can't have just one torch either. Think I have 3 of them.
I also like them on propane. Have them set up both ways and waiting on the parts to make a polypropylene rig for heating. Those can be used for cutting too but it will prol always have a rosebud on it. They throw a lot more heat.

hurleyjd":37eeneyv said:
On the air supply for the plasma. I think and am probable wrong but the Plasma has to have dry air, air without moisture. Could a person use nitrogen for the air supply.

You can, but the cuts are slower, not as clean, and it's a lot more expensive.

IMO a torch and a couple band saws (horizontal and a portable) and an abrasive chop saw will handle just about anything. The abrasive is nice if you ever need to cut hardened steel that will ruin a band.

A plasma really comes in handy for cutting pieces out of flat stock or sheet steel, otherwise I don't really have a use for one.

jedstivers":1g5gvse6 said:
I also like them on propane. Have them set up both ways and waiting on the parts to make a polypropylene rig for heating. Those can be used for cutting too but it will prol always have a rosebud on it. They throw a lot more heat.

I wanna believe what your're tellin me, but I'm gonna have to get another opinion, guess I'll have to wait till 5 am in the morning. That's usually when we get blessed with our daily dose of wisdom. :lol:

Atimm693":3vbpircb said:
hurleyjd":3vbpircb said:

You can, but the cuts are slower, not as clean, and it's a lot more expensive.

IMO a torch and a couple band saws (horizontal and a portable) and an abrasive chop saw will handle just about anything. The abrasive is nice if you ever need to cut hardened steel that will ruin a band.

A plasma really comes in handy for cutting pieces out of flat stock or sheet steel, otherwise I don't really have a use for one.

Same here torch, bandsaw and chopsaw, along with plenty of cutting wheels for the grinder.

Ol' 243":19ssgxbh said:
jedstivers":19ssgxbh said:

I wanna believe what your're tellin me, but I'm gonna have to get another opinion, guess I'll have to wait till 5 am in the morning. That's usually when we get blessed with our daily dose of wisdom. :lol:
Well,actually I worded it wrong. You can use just one, a torch.
Can't just rely on a plasma cutter.
I'll be interested to know if the resident genius knows what a plasma cutter is.

skyhightree1":2k5kp9bq said:
Do you prefer a oxy/acet torch or a plasma cutter? I am liking the straight line capability of a plasma and such however its a pain dragging out a plasma with the compressor line and electric. I am thinking of buying a plasma cutter with its own compressor in it but it will not be heavy duty I think it will only cut 1/4 inch. Does anyone have a plasma cutter with its own compressor that can let me know what you think of it and the model ?
For what I do the oxy/acet torch works best.

jedstivers":23y2e8ep said:
Ol' 243":23y2e8ep said:
jedstivers":23y2e8ep said:

Well,actually I worded it wrong. You can use just one, a torch.
Can't just rely on a plasma cutter.
I'll be interested to know if the resident genius knows what a plasma cutter is.

Beotch please, I bet she invented it. :lol: