What do you honestly think???

Help Support CattleToday:

Hcc

Reaction score
Here is a POSSIBLE steer for next year. Our county fair is in late June. So this is the ONLY homebred steer we have this year (heifers..what can I say???) that would fall into that time frame and possibly work out well.

He was born during the blizzard that hit Indiana. Feb. 14 valentines day. His name is Bubba. He just turned. 5 months. Is going through that gawky, lanky, weaning stage. He needs his scurs removed too. He is on pasture right now as he is JUST being ready to be weaned (dam has mostly weaned him). What grain he dose get is what he can fight the cows over once a day. So he isn't in the best time or environment right now to be looking at for a potentil show steer...but I'll still ask.

His dam is a ChiAngus x Shorthorn. Really nice cow. His sire is an Ali son out of a ChiAngus cow.

Here he is. Not the best pictures either. sorry.

CowCalf010.jpg

CowCalf011.jpg

CowCalf009.jpg

Let me know what you think.

He look good, you have to stop an think he is just getting weaned so that puts him as being VERY GREEN. Give he some time, I think he should do well. Not a bad looking calf.Good LUCK

Thanks! Yes he is very green. I wish he had sme more bone to him but oh well.

Anyone else?

As an added bonus to help you out. Keep in mind that you may be far more experienced than me. But, if you have access to crystalyx products and you can get someone to let you dig out about 10lbs of a TASCO tub it will help him get off to a good start offer it free choice until gone. With one show steer it wouldn't make sense to buy a whole tub but, the crystalyx Iono lyx 300 (bovatec in it) does a real nice job on replacements and show stock. I may stir controversy here but, I like feeding crystalyx products as they are complete except for white salt

Herefordcross":3vi5q3lx said:
As an added bonus to help you out. Keep in mind that you may be far more experienced than me. But, if you have access to crystalyx products and you can get someone to let you dig out about 10lbs of a TASCO tub it will help him get off to a good start offer it free choice until gone. With one show steer it wouldn't make sense to buy a whole tub but, the crystalyx Iono lyx 300 (bovatec in it) does a real nice job on replacements and show stock. I may stir controversy here but, I like feeding crystalyx products as they are complete except for white salt

I think he looks pretty good. He seems to have a decent amount of muscle to him and fairly wide based.

Aside from the Crystalyx tubs, you can buy Stablelyx. It is a horse product, but very similar to the Crystalyx. They come in 35 lb tubs. We buy the one that is in a green tub (i would have to look at it to see exactly what it is) because it has more fat. I will look at it and see what it is and let you know tomorrow...when it is light outside.
;-) ;-)

Thanks everyone for your input! I have seen the horse stablelyx at our farm store. I will have to check that out.

I hate the fact that he will have to be weaned by himself. None of the heifers are going to be shown so they are in a different lot. He will be by himself and I know they don't do well that way. I was thinking of keeping him in during the day and turning him out with the cows at night. (If he dosen't get too hard to catch that is. :( ) And of course I wouldn't do this until he was fairly halter broken.

Get some Winners Edge it will help with adding bone. It worked on a lamb that I had that was fine boned.

Maineshowgirl":142fq3ud said:
Get some Winners Edge it will help with adding bone. It worked on a lamb that I had that was fine boned.
where do you get that at.
looks good.

Latest posts