What do yall think about this?????

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Ok here is what happened. I know a guy lived near me when I lived in another county. He was telling me how much his son wanted to kill a turkey lately over and over till finally this week I said fine come on out to the farm and hunt. I knew where a gobbler was everyday and planned to hunt him as soon as I got some time. Well I said I will find another bird and will let the boy kill that one. He and his dad came down and I showed them where to go and where to park etc. Well long story short I'm working in a field near by and the dad is flashing his lights and flying down the side of the field to me I stop the tractor with a smile on my face. I get down walk over to them the dad is pumped up and excited dad jumps out the truck to show me the bird and I look in the boy is visually upset and disappointed. I asked the boy what's wrong before he answers his dad said that he took the gun from the boy to shoot the turkey because the boy may had missed and it was too nice to let him shoot. The boy had his head down the whole time and stayed in the truck. How is that what do you all think about that?

Next time YOU take the boy and make sure Dad dont do something that stupid again. He just hurt that kid big time. Hate it happened that way. You were very generous for letting someone come on your property and try to kill a turkey.

I actually know people that have done that with deer. It blows my mind, when I hear of a father doing that. I'd say harvesting wildlife is not the total extent of his childishness.

And to think my son complained to Mom and said I was a hogger when I let him take the first 2 shots at a 5pt (10pt to you others ) before I shot it!

He's a great example,I wouldn't let him back. Might take the kid out hunting myself if he had homework done and needed structure.

Poor kid. If there is a next time take the kid and leave his daddy locked in a dog box.....preferably one that has been used a lot and hasn't been cleaned.

I would not let the dad come back, but the kid would be welcome anytime. A big part of being a good parent is letting your kid fail and learn to deal and learn from that failure. Even if it is just missing a turkey.

Named'em Tamed'em":35juz55m said:
And to think my son complained to Mom and said I was a hogger when I let him take the first 2 shots at a 5pt (10pt to you others ) before I shot it!

Well there you go, just the reason you need for that belt fed weapon you've been wanting. Now though, as your wife has pointed out, YOU NEED! ;-) :lol2:

I have seen this a couple of times. Back when I was working as a flyfishing guide I had a father son for clients and as an enticement to work hard at learning to cast well I told the boy that when they came back in two weeks I would put him on the biggest brown trout in that section of river. I kinda had a hawg that I would put the high rollers on and I figured that if this kid did what I asked he would be good enough to put a fly right on his nose the next trip.

Well, two weeks later they returned and Dad was no better than when he left but junior was and so when we got to the honeyhole I rigged him for that fish and told him exactly what to do. I even had him make a couple of practice casts to the left of where the fish's location so as not to spook him. The kid was kinda nervous and not hitting the spot the first couple of casts and the next thing I knew his Dad pushes him out of the way and promptly smacks this 22in beauty right on the head with his fly. Needless to say he shot outa there like a torpedo and we were done with for the day. I didn't even bother to ask the man why, cuz I already knew. That was 15 years ago and I saw that kid a while back and asked him if he was still flyfishing. He says naw, it just wasn't much fun.

As we bend the sapling so grows the tree..........I sure wish people would remember that. None of us ever learn from our successes but the smart ones learn from their failures and try not to repeat them.

FWIW my oldest son and his buddy spent all of last turkey season trying to get his son into a big Tom. They sat there and watched him miss 3 dandies. They finally went back without the boy and shot one of them. They DID NOT take his gun and kill it for him.

wacocowboy":3gr3179z said:
If I had a kid I would get more pleasure out of watching them shoot something than me shooting it.

"Most" people would, but not all. There are some that had it done to them by an insensitive parent so that is their model for life. Then there the others who are so sociapathically insensitive to others that they put their happiness or self satisfaction above anyone including their own children.

I've had the pleasure of hunting with my son when he killed his first deer. And then his first buck the next year. I was more excited than him. I've also guided some hunters on their first deer. The adrenaline rush I get is unbelievable. I've seen folks so excited they couldn't shoot, and they asked me did I hit him.

wacocowboy":3rqzw1rh said:
If I had a kid I would get more pleasure out of watching them shoot something than me shooting it.

:nod:
I've let bucks go when I was hunting by myself just so I could bring one of the kids back so that maybe they could kill him. A couple of week's ago I let a very nice gobbler walk while I was hunting by myself hoping my son in law would get a chance to kill him.

Deepsouth":g6hp8mdl said:
wacocowboy":g6hp8mdl said:

:nod:
I've let bucks go when I was hunting by myself just so I could bring one of the kids back so that maybe they could kill him. A couple of week's ago I let a very nice gobbler walk while I was hunting by myself hoping my son in law would get a chance to kill him.

I've done that myself. Hunted one nice buck for two years and finally had him patterned. Watched him court a doe for an hour. Let him walk hoping someone else would get him because I was content just knowing I could have grassed him.

Took my nephew deer hunting last year. He killed a 9 point with a 20 inch spread. I think I was more excited than him!! It was his first buck and I have never killed one that big, still never crossed my mind to take the gun...

chippie":2cw0ca7i said:
sounds almost as if the dad used his son as an excuse to get to hunt on your place.

I think you might be correct. I alsothink that happens a lot.

I cant find a comment I disagree with and appreciate yalls comments ... I will tell you this he asked could he come back and hunt with his son I declined. I advised his son is welcome anytime but he is not.

Latest posts