What did you vacinate the cows with this Spring?

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
I realize that the calves will get some benefit from the mother's milk when they are vaccinated. What did you use this Spring for the cows? I have most of my cows{small and larger calves} all in one field. I have been rotational grazing this year pretty hard. I plan on working them all at the same time. Any suggestions on vaccination requirements on the different sizes of calves? I'm not quite ready to wean any just yet. Thanks Carla

Calves only get a benefit from the colostrum. So the cows have to have been vaccinated prior to calving to help the calves.
We give the cows BoviShield 5L5 at least 2 weeks prior to breeding season. After all the calves are 3 months old, we give them BS 5L5, Clostridial & Pasturella - with booster shots & deworming 4 weeks later. Caution - you cannot give a live vaccine to nursing calves unless cows have been vaccinated with BS within 12 months.

It is cost affective to give the cows live vaccine prior to breeding, but BoviShield is the only product approved for this program so far, that I am aware of.

I like Cattlemaster VL5. It's safe for cows and calves at any age or stage of pregnancy. Then use a safe 8 way clostridial. The 8 way can be helpful to bull calves being banded, otherwise 7 way is probably adequate.

Cattlemaster is an excellent product. It is also by Pfizer (like BoveShield) - but it needs to be boosted - but is is safe at all stages of pregnancy no matter what they have received in the past.

We shot them all with Preg Guard10 and wormed two weeks later. As to the colostrum the calf's intestines only process colostrum within the first twentyfour hours after birth and the rate starts to decline after only three hours of birth...we had one that wouldn't suck and spent the first day plugged into a bottle of substitute colostrum.

Latest posts