What can you tell me about Charlo

Help Support CattleToday:

T & B farms

Reaction score
I have read several comments on here regarding charlo. I like his looks and the way he walks. Looking to use him on some large framed char cows that need some more thickness and frame reduction. Also need some fleshing ability. Will he fit the bill? Does he seem to improve udders? Any bull you would recommend more?

T & B farms":2dmxehlb said:
I have read several comments on here regarding charlo. I like his looks and the way he walks. Looking to use him on some large framed char cows that need some more thickness and frame reduction. Also need some fleshing ability. Will he fit the bill? Does he seem to improve udders? Any bull you would recommend more?

I dont think you will find a better bull to improve improve fleshing abiity, correct frame size on bigger cows and add thickness. He does it consistently in one shot.

I think he is a really good fit for what you are wanting to do. The offspring I've had out of Charlo are easy fleshing and he really improved the udders and teat size on a few of my cows in one generation. Calving ease has been terrific also. The only bad I've heard of Charlo is his docility. I haven't seen it in any of the calves of mine, but have heard of other people with issues.

I agree with what Cibster said, our Charlo's are a bit more nervous in the chute but so far not aggressive. He works great on heifers will add depth and muscle. He will also reduce frame size. I bred several heifers to him today.

Gizmom

Your feedback is much appreciated. Doc does not worry me a ton as these cows are about like dog tame. Ordered 20 straws to try out.

It will be interesting how he crosses with Char cows. Are you going to keep the heifer calves? I would expect a little snort in a few of the calves like 10% or so.

I've never used Charlo but I've seen plenty of his male offspring. They are all put together good and thick but look stunted for their age. I don't see Charlo producing quality steers for the feed lots.

W.B.":udv95u3i said:
It will be interesting how he crosses with Char cows. Are you going to keep the heifer calves? I would expect a little snort in a few of the calves like 10% or so.
Yes, suitable heifers will be retained.

T & B farms":1ob0hto0 said:
W.B.":1ob0hto0 said:
Yes, suitable heifers will be retained.
He'll be excellent for that from what I've seen.

Not sure Charlo is the maternal bull that has been marketed as such. If you look at HP, MCE and Doc he scores rather poorly versus the rest of the Angus breed.

Will be trying to breed one today to him. She is a 4-year-old registered Angus cow with Basin Payweight 025S and SydGen Plainsman in her pedigree. She is about 1975 pounds as of two weeks ago, tall, long, and built like a brick sh...house! I think if she settles that this combo with Charlo will produce a D9 dozer of a calf. I read some research papers in from the 1950's, can't remember the author at the moment, but when you have a long, tall, cow, such as the one I have right now, you breed her to a bull like Charlo who is lower, thicker, etc. and vice versa. I've been doing this and it definitely works. I bred SAV Harvestor to a 1900 pound low riding, belly dragger, soggy type cow, and the bull that came from that mating looks VERY GOOD, and has the traits I'm going for! I've done the same with SAV International. We are all looking for that "Goldilocks" mating, that's what makes this business really interesting. It's worth taking time to read the research of the old times like Dr. Jay Lush, and Dr. Harlan Ritchie, and so on. Any little bit of information that can improve your program is worth it.

W.B.":25eq2yp9 said:
Not sure Charlo is the maternal bull that has been marketed as such. If you look at HP, MCE and Doc he scores rather poorly versus the rest of the Angus breed.

I think what breeders who use him are looking at is the Abigale cow family pedigree.

W.B.":g8fbhv0z said:

The true meaning of Maternal is a lot more than the $Value indexes that are listed on their EPDs.

While Heifer Pregnancy is important, it is only measured on first calf heifers, same goes for CED, and CEM. I believe it is still one of the least accurate EPDs as far as progeny being tested

Longevity, Stayability, structural soundness, and ability to keep their flesh while raising a calf each year are all Maternal traits that don't have a numerical EPD value.

My 2 cents

True maternal is more than numbers I agree. Charlo is getting to be a proven bull. The trifecta he scores for the traits I mentioned earlier is hard to manage around for me. If he works well for someone else then I am happy for them.

We are seeing higher pregnancy rates in our cows that are exposed to higher HP bulls in our operation. I only have two years worth of evidence so it's early in the game. I think it is a trait that is being overlooked a bit too much.

Yeah, there is no perfect bull for every trait. Fertility in heifers is usually attributed to feed and maturity. Everyone feeds their animals differently.

I do believe that fertility is and should be the number one trait for commercial cattleman, We certainly don't ignore it, but it still has many holes in the EPD.

It only takes into account if a heifer becomes bred during the whole breeding season. If a heifer breeds first cycle vs 8 cycles, they are scored the same.

It doesn't score second calvers or cows rebreeding. Heifers can breed up just fine the first year. It's usually the second year that they fall out of the herd.

The most progress in the HP epd in recent years and in the future is through genomics. Eliminating the early embryonic death loss is going to be done this way. Ignoring the progress being made in this area is a bit foolish in my opinion.

We don't ignore it, we just make educated decisions based on EPDs, Phenotype,Pedigree, etc to choose a Sire. Not just an EPD sort. Balance is the hardest thing to breed for in my opinion. Everyone's chasing numbers,we've been guilty of it. We've gone the Paper bull route and it usually backfires. We know better, but it's hard not to chase the high growth CE Bull. That's what sells. Problem comes down the road when half of them either have bad feet, become open, or fall apart because they are not structurally sound animals.

On a side note, if HP ,Phenotype, and structural soundness is important, then I'd recommend this bull. He's #1 HP Angus bull. Sitz Logo 12964

Have you seen the bull? If so how were his feet? I can't really use any more Game Day blood in my herd but he looks like a useful bull.

I haven't seen him in person. We ordered semen on him last Spring but it wasn't going to show up before we AI'd them. We had to cancel the order. I think we spoke to JC Heiken about him. I guess they also own S Chisum 255.
His calves sold very well in the Sitz Fall Sale a few weeks ago.

Latest posts