What bull should i use..

Help Support CattleToday:

hereford_jock

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I recently bought a polled hereford heifer out of S&S Outback 26R. She is a very flashy april 1st with a lot of style and class. She is double bred to VCR East Kodiak and has 3 dams of distintion in her blood. She posses a lot of hereford clubby style and i plan on flushing her. Thats where i am confused. I would like to use a son of Online 122l but am not sure which one. Im really liking Beckley 758P Ontime 934S even though his mother is out of online.
Please respond with your insight and let me know what you think of it
Thanks,
Hereford_Jock

Are you interested in crossbreeding?
I have 6 beautiful crossbred bred heifers--calving as I write.
These 6 crosses were bred back to Red Angus--
"hw checkout 3166".
Their Dams were all registered Polled Herefords bred AI to Red Angus--Canyon2222. so far the results are 4 calves -ez birth- low birthweight.. The 5th one is in trouble--calf very large-died during birth. I suspect it's size will be traced genetically back up the maternal Hereford line--since the sire of the 6 was the same.

Cross-breeding these two cows show great promise from my perspective.
Something to think about---if you have ever considered stepping out of the hereford circle.

If the showring is the ultimate goal and you are set on Online122L you may want to look at BR DM Channing. He is the best looking Online son in my opinion and resembles cattle that might work on the ranch also.

SmokeStackFarms":fjhbn71f said:
Are you interested in crossbreeding?
I have 6 beautiful crossbred bred heifers--calving as I write.
These 6 crosses were bred back to Red Angus--
"hw checkout 3166".
Their Dams were all registered Polled Herefords bred AI to Red Angus--Canyon2222. so far the results are 4 calves -ez birth- low birthweight.. The 5th one is in trouble--calf very large-died during birth. I suspect it's size will be traced genetically back up the maternal Hereford line--since the sire of the 6 was the same.

Cross-breeding these two cows show great promise from my perspective.
Something to think about---if you have ever considered stepping out of the hereford circle.

More likely that the easy calving will be trced back to the Herford side. 2222 calves tend to be very big at birth.

maybe you are right----the fact that the 4 calves have been small, the 5th very large, the 6th yet to deliver.
the 2222 sired all 6?

More likely that the easy calving will be trced back to the Herford side. 2222 calves tend to be very big at birth.[/quote]

hey guys thanks for your help. I need some Online blood in there somewhere and channing, moler, and harddrive are just to darn big at birth. if there is any bull out there that has show appeal and epd's to match it. let me know, it also must have online blood

Sorry but I can not recommend any online sons for breeding to a heifer. The Beckley bull may work, but I would look at something with 517 or 745 in the pedgree. They sire lower birth weight calves. What about using World Class he has high groweth and calves easily. He should make you a large calf for showing.

Opps missed the flush part. If you going to flush her (which I don't recommend) then the Channing bull or any bull regardless of birth weight will work for making show calves as long as they have the correct phenotype. I like to see the shows but for the most part they are a entirely different animal than what is practical for production.

hereford_jock":ild95lj5 said:
why don't you recommend flushing?

Often it harms the heifers ability to produce calves to some degree. Most breeders will not flush untill the cow has had a few calves, however some of that is based on seeing how the cow preforms first.

very true. I had just had the idea because she is so flashy and many people talking about wanting to see what she could produce. I really don't know what i will do with her yet. mayber i will just breed her and hope for a champion!