What Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Buiding air castle's and just for fun if you were starting over today what would you restock you pasture with.
I am talking about true breeds before they turned dang near everyone of them black.
Myself be a pasture full of gray Brimmer girl's and a polled Hereford bull.

Red Angus and F1 Red Angus X Gelbvieh. Pretty much like is there now. If it was strictly for fun it would be Gyr cows and a Gyr bull

Caustic Burno":3quwunqy said:
Buiding air castle's and just for fun if you were starting over today what would you restock you pasture with.
I am talking about true breeds before they turned dang near everyone of them black.
That would be my pick or even better the heifers off of them. Next would be if the longhorns were still 250-300 a pop have about two hundred of them. They would turn the most profit. Don't care who don't like them, net is what counts. Char or Limo bulls.

For pure breeds I would like to have grey brahman and Hereford bulls . For cross breeds I'd like to have f 1 Brahman and angus. With Hereford bulls .

Being a little farther North, I would love to have a cow herd of 1/4 Gert x 1/4 Hereford x 1/2 Gelbvieh bred to Angus or Charlois Bulls. I dought one would ever find females bred like this for purchase. If I was in your area or anywhere in the deep South/Gulf Coast, I'd go with your choice.

i would start with brangus or F1 angus/brahman.... but my favorite cows is braford or F1 herford/brahman. they tend to loose udder quality a little sooner than the brangus IMHO.. and use a char bull over them..

if it were simply for my enjoyment i'd have roan shorthorns and cross them back and forth with hereford and keep them down here in the valley. unfortunatly, neither breed holds up very well where most of my cattle are at.

xbred":gua7s9j9 said:
i would start with brangus or F1 angus/brahman.... but my favorite cows is braford or F1 herford/brahman. they tend to loose udder quality a little sooner than the brangus IMHO.. and use a char bull over them..

That is about where I am now. Running a herd of mostly brangus. Just bought a char bull with a really nice pedigree - grandsired out of Wyoming Wind. Heck of a nice young bull. I couldn't find a quality brangus bull without spending a small fortune.

Got two angus bulls in the pasture today and cannot find out who the owners are. They must have come from across the Brazos. Continual frustration with these bulls coming to see me!

CB's choice aint bad at all. It makes me think of my grandad's herd back in the 60's.

I'd restock my pastures with Herefords and Murray Grey cows and use a Blk Angus bull. I'd also have a Jeresy and a Geurnsey milk/nurse cow.

Katherine

Well since I am just starting out in the cow/calf sector I'll keep my Red Angus thank you very much. :D If I could just for fun I would get some Limousin, some Charolais, some Shorthorns, some Pinzgauers, some black angus, some Herefords and just go nuts crossing those amongst the others and if that wasn't enough I'd cross the offspring with each other. :cboy:

Caustic Burno":3ogg6vqb said:
I would do about the same except flip it around. The pure brimmers are just to pricey. There is a lot of calving advantage with bremmer girls but I have a tank full of Brahman semen I need to use.
Need to add that I'm getting to old to fight with a mamma protecting her calf.

novatech":3w0n7sih said:
Caustic Burno":3w0n7sih said:
I would do about the same except flip it around. The pure brimmers are just to pricey. There is a lot of calving advantage with bremmer girls but I have a tank full of Brahman semen I need to use.
Need to add that I'm getting to old to fight with a mamma protecting her calf.

But I was building air castle's money wasn't in my equation it was poof they were in my pasture.

If I start up again here in the UK, it would be a choice between Sussex and North Devon, I have contacts with quality herds of both breeds. Back in the tropics I would go back to Tuli which have served me well especially when they had minimum care while I was regularly deployed during the 70's.

Latest posts