What Breed to Cross With?

Help Support CattleToday:

DRSCfarm

Reaction score
I have a half Limousin/quarter Angus/quarter Charolais heifer that is due to calve this September. She was bred to a full bred Limousin bull this time. I am trying to decide on what breed of bull I should breed her to next time. She is registered with the TCCA as an AOB heifer.

What are the possible breeds of cattle I could use? I know I could use Limousin for sure, Angus, or Charolais. Are there any other breeds? Would it be better to use a club calf bull or a breed registered bull? Any of your :2cents: would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

redcowsrule33: Her calves will be shown and sold. Her calf this year I will be showing in 4-H and shows in my area. Next year's calf I will be showing in open shows and possibly selling as a 4-H show calf.

ALACOWMAN: If I went with an Angus bull, would the calf be registerable? She is only 25% Angus.

DRSCfarm said:
redcowsrule33: Her calves will be shown and sold. Her calf this year I will be showing in 4-H and shows in my area. Next year's calf I will be showing in open shows and possibly selling as a 4-H show calf.

ALACOWMAN: If I went with an Angus bull, would the calf be registerable? She is only 25% Angus.[/quote] no.... but it should make the calf feel better about its parents :cowboy:

If that's what you are doing with the calf. Why not find the best club calf sire you can get semen on and breed her that way.

One thing I would caution you about is she is weak on her topline. Breed her to correct that for sure., and she is already pretty long I wouldn't add to that either.

3waycross: The more current picture of her really does her no justice. When properly set up on nice even ground, her topline looks much nicer. And she is a tad long, so I will definitely choose a more compact bull.

I'm starting to think a club calf sire will be the way to go. I'm not very familiar with how the club calf genre goes, so I will have to research it more. Thanks so much!

Since this will be her first calf I would be careful breeding her cluby for her second calf. I would look at, Dirty Hairy, Ali 2, Dr. Who, Who Made Who, or Jakes Proud Jazz, these bulls will kick out quality, live calves that you can use, steer or heifer. After her second calf try My Turn, Walks on Water, Walks Alone, Monopoly (Clone) or Unforgiven they seem to be kicking out calves you can sale.

Latest posts