what breed is this

Help Support CattleToday:

moses388

Reaction score
pic1

pic2

This cow is in an old beef herd. I don't know what breed she is and I am trying to figure out a complementary breed for mating. Any suggestions? I was thinking Fleckvieh, but I would have to buy semen. I do have some Red Shorthorn - Creole 135.

Looks very much like some of the old Guernsey-Hereford cross cows in my grandparents' herd, back when I was a kid... descendents of Grandma's milk cow... but she could just have some Simmental ancestry, or even some Pinzgauer or Charolais - the white underline, tail and up on top almost approaching some of the 'finching' you see in Pinzgauer and Charolais crosses from time to time. It's anyone's guess, really.
No reason not to put that Creole 135 semen in her, since you've already got it in the tank., but a good Fleckvieh sire would probably give you a really nice calf.

Last edited:
Ooo I like this game. My first thought was fleckvieh charolais cross. I know nothing about Guernsey but she very well could be judging by the pictures I looked up.

What's in my cow that throws gray calves when bred to black angus bulls?

Attachments

• matty_boyyy-1610000654336.jpg
    matty_boyyy-1610000654336.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 8
Ooo I like this game. My first thought was fleckvieh charolais cross. I know nothing about Guernsey but she very well could be judging by the pictures I looked up.

What's in my cow that throws gray calves when bred to black angus bulls?
It looks to me that it is some dilution from Charolais, or old fashioned Simmental.

Possibly. I was thinking she had some Limo or Gelbvieh in her judging by her round muscular rear end which I don't have a picture of.
That could very well be part of the mix, could see her being a cross of Limousin and Charolais. I've seen some Charolais crosses be fairly dark red like that.

That could very well be part of the mix, could see her being a cross of Limousin and Charolais. I've seen some Charolais crosses be fairly dark red like that.
Here is that calf all growed up with a Hereford sired calf. When bred bad to a black angus she gives me an identically coloured calf as herself.

Attachments

• matty_boyyy-1610047320922.jpg
    matty_boyyy-1610047320922.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 6
Here is that calf all growed up with a Hereford sired calf. When bred bad to a black angus she gives me an identically coloured calf as herself.
I also have brown cows that have brown calves when bred to Black Angus. I've learned that I can breed brown cows to Red Angus and get a black calf.

I like the Hereford calf. I may have to try that one day.

I think Char is definitely in the woodpile, what else, hard to say, I don't see anything about her that says Gelbvieh or limo to my eye

Latest posts