What breed is this fella??

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman":1n06uryp said:
There's no such thing as a white Angus yet. Everyones besotted by black of varying breeds. Thought I'd drop in the white Angus.

Darn it, I hope its not to late to return the "White Angus Only" parking sign I just bought on e-bay. :lol: :lol:

I'll go with char too, everyone looks a little different anyway and there's nothing about him that makes me think he's anything other then char.

I believe that any breed could produce an albino. It is a lack of coloration, not the color white.

DOC HARRIS":213hft1m said:
Alice":213hft1m said:
It's been a long, hot, dry (again) day here, I'm worn out, thoroughly drained and into my second Millier Lite, but ok, I'll bite...are there really such things as white angus? :?

Nah, ya'll are just foolin', right? Kinda like black herefords, right? :p

Alice
O-o-o-kay, Boys and Girls! Here's the way the mop flops, the angle dangles and the ball bounces! :shock: :roll: :nod: Genetically, Phenotypically, Legitimately, Esthetically, Absolutely, Completely, Potentially, and Professionally - - there is NO SUCH CREATURE AS A WHITE ANGUS! A Rose is a Rose is a Rose. A Rose by any other name is still a Rose! An Angus is an Angus. A Red Angus is a Red Angus. An "Angus" is a Black Angus. There are no Green Anguses. There are no Purple Anguses. There are no Orange Anguses. There are no Blue Anguses. There are no White Faced Anguses (Registered). There are no Yellow Anguses. There are no Brown Anguses(Registered). And there are no WHITE Anguses.(Registered or NOT registered). There is no such genetic creature that is a WHITE Angus! There may be White-ish bovine animals that can carry minute amounts of Angus genes (VERY minute [pronounced "my - noot"]), BUT there is no such thing as a "White Angus" bovine critter. Cross breeding can produce lots of diverse combinations of colors, shades, and tints. But there are NO White Anguses! Not in the United States, Not in Canada, Not in Brazil, Not in Europe, Not in Mongolia, - - - -and NOT IN AURSTRIL-YUR either! The Murray Grey breed was developed with the help of crossbreeding with Angus Bulls, but that is Murray Grey - NOT Murray Angus or Angus Grey! Angus is Black. Angus is NOT white! The Black Angus gene has been Homozygous for Black for over 130 years. Black is dominant. Homozygous is Homozygous. Heterozygous is Heterozygous. Angus is Homozygous for Black - NOT white!

There are NO White Angus Cattle which can be registered by the American Angus Association.

Angus is Black.

DOC HARRIS

P.S. - By the way, Alice, The Black Hereford IS a legitimate breed, with it's own Registration Association. Not many individuals, but legitimate just the same.

DOC HARRIS

Whew, thanks for clearing that up, doc. Way back in my little pea brain I knew there couldn't be white angus, but every now and then I read something here that whacks me upside the head.

Alice

He looks Charolais to me, maybe some cross. Once in a while when we used to raise registered Charolais we would run into a bloodline that would be a little sloppy in the sheath and navel area. I am not proud to admit it but we even had extra navel removed from a heifer calf we wanted to show one year. We watched what bull we bred her to and she was just fine as a cow with the calves she produced.

Doc is there any chance the breed could produce an albino????????
mwj - Absolutely! Albinism is the result of a genetic occurrence resulting in a TOTAL lack of normal coloration in the skin, hair and eyes. An albino has white skin, whitish hair and pink eyes. The mathematics of genetic eventualities are so convoluted and complex that neither Mendel nor Einstein consummated an operative formula germane to Albinism - principally because of the prodigious amount of genetic combinations in blending billions of genes! By the same token, an Albino appearing in an Angus mating does not create a "White Angus". The legendary "White Buffalo" of Indian lore was/is an Albino.

White Angus?? No such animal.

DOC HARRIS

No need to get all riled up here. Its a charolais type critter, probably half or better. I have no idea what the rest of his problems are. But on the good side with a little care he'll fetch a good $.

As far as white angus :roll: No need, :) We have Charolais, and MG's to furnish all the white we need. 8) ;-) :cboy:

mnmt

mnmtranching":3joerhd3 said:
No need to get all riled up here. Its a charolais type critter, probably half or better. I have no idea what the rest of his problems are. But on the good side with a little care he'll fetch a good $.

As far as white angus :roll: No need, :) We have Charolais, and MG's to furnish all the white we need. 8) ;-) :cboy:

mnmt
And your forgetting about the British White. Take care. :cboy:

I'm putting a question mark behind this one, but I was just thinking that he could maybe have some beefmaster blood in him. How about it?

With that, I'm with those who're saying he's charX.

PS. He's got no pedigree, or stuff like that, so I have no clue as to what/who his dam or sire was. All I know is that he's from some ranch up near Grande Prairie. That's why I'm asking what you folks figured his breed was... ;-)

Have a good one! :cboy:

Is all the sound and fury and rhetoric on this post REALLY justified? Does the ultimate answer really make that much difference?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1ocevqn5 said:
Is all the sound and fury and rhetoric on this post REALLY justified? Does the ultimate answer really make that much difference?

DOC HARRIS

I'd say no to both questions. For the second question, I guess it wouldn't matter what's on the outside, it's the inside that counts ;-)

For the first question...well....

I'm thinking CharX. Once had a steer that looked alot like this - a CharBrangus - but he had black nose and hoves and
was gentle enough to give rides to the grandkids. :)

I have two guesses to submit. First of all I would have to agree with most that he looks like a high percentage charolais, but I would also wonder if he doesn't have a bit of shorthorn in him. Before the common practice of "appendix" bred shorthorn/maine anjou crosses that today are referred to as shorthorns there was quite a population of white shorthorns.

Latest posts