What breed is this calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What do you think this calf is crossed up with?
MVC-009F.jpg

We thought she might have some Gelbvieh or Limousin. But then agin what do I know.

Kind of hard for me to say at that size, but I didn't know if the hip was round-muscled enough to be limi. I'm not that familiar with Gelbveigh, but I know the first G bull I ever saw in an ad looked like a limi to me as far as color goes. I was thinking possibly any or more than one of the three.

In all probability, the dam was an Angus sired first calf heifer out of a Charolais-Simbrah mating. The sire of this calf was in all likelihood a Bieber bred Red Angus bull weaned on the edge of the Wyoming badlands. Word to the wise tom4018, spray Roundup on the other side of the fence.

Definitely spray Roundup on other side of fence... "attractive nuissance"...lol.

Calf could probably be anything. It appears a touch "lumpy" with non-smooth side muscles plus some knotty places about size of dime or quarter on it.

it resembles a red charolais somewhat and also appears to have some angus in it to me. i would say it is probably some combination of angus, charolais and limousin. maybe a limousin bull on an angusxcharolais cow. who knows? do you? is this a trick question?

Beefy":28ckj70u said:
who knows? do you? is this a trick question?
It's a fresh bought calf from the sale barn. Would have to know the breeder to have an idea what cross it is.

no you can have an idea what breed(s) it is by looking. it may be a wrong or right idea and you'll most likely never know but you can have an idea.

No it is not a trick question. Wife bought this calf and another at sale barn a couple weeks ago. So we really are just guessing.

you know i allways read you folks talk about red angus and red angus and red angus.....but there are other red cattle out there i know a breeder of senepols here in florida and her cattle are that red color like a mahogany or cherry red same with a gert....

so this calf doesnt have the ear of a gert but it could be a senepol x calf

PNZMAN":2qx5zrsx said:
you know i allways read you folks talk about red angus and red angus and red angus.....but there are other red cattle out there i know a breeder of senepols here in florida and her cattle are that red color like a mahogany or cherry red same with a gert....

so this calf doesnt have the ear of a gert but it could be a senepol x calf

so sorry :|

His phenotype suggest beefmaster...His color suggest red angus....the light hair around/above the nostrils suggest limousin. If I were a guessing cattleman...that would be my best conclusion.

Could be Red Brangus, I've seen some with smaller ears.

Could be a Simmental cross.

Kinda hard to tell when they are that young.

preston39":2akicst6 said:
His phenotype suggest beefmaster...His color suggest red angus....the light hair around/above the nostrils suggest limousin. If I were a guessing cattleman...that would be my best conclusion.

If you wouldn't mind indulging someone who is not up on her lingo, what is a 'phenotype'? Is that body build, or perhaps body structure? And what is a 'Simbrah'? If I had to hazard a guess, I would say Simmental X Brahma? Also, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, what is a Senepol? No clue on that one. Thanks for your help.

http://cattle-today.com/Senepol.htm

Senepol

Senepol were developed on the Caribbean Island of St. Croix by Henry C. Nelthropp in the early 1900's by crossing Red Poll cattle and N'Dama cattle. The Senepol breed combines the N'Dama characteristics of heat tolerance and insect resistance with the extreme gentleness, good meat, and high milk production of the Red Poll. He selected for early maturity and maternal efficiency, no horns and solid red color, definite heat tolerance, and gentle disposition. The isolation sheltered the cattle from the fads and fancies of the purebred seedstock industry. While other breeds made giant leaps in one direction, only to turn and make equally large strides in the opposite direction, the Senepol made a series of small, multiple-trait steps toward animals whose production met the demand of their breeders. St. Croix provided a unique situation where ranchers practice selection for the traits they desired and mother nature provided natural selection for cattle that could produce at superior levels under the harsh St. Croix environment.

Latest posts