What breed is my Momma

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
What breed of cow had this calf? This is the first calf from my Balancer bull. This is a heifer that weighed about 70 pounds at birth. That was a month ago. Take some guesses and I'll post moms pic a little later. Sorry about the quality of the cell phone pic.

12290816491.jpg

Well lets see,,,we do know she is ???? x Gelbvieh/RA

So I have two guesses, blk angus or charlolais. Salers maybe ??

hillsdown":2tv1c6mw said:
Well lets see,,,we do know she is ???? x Gelbvieh/RA

So I have two guesses, blk angus or charlolais. Salers maybe ??

Actually the sire is a Gelbvieh x Black Angus. He is homozygous black. The calf is starting to turn black. Redbull is right about her momma. Her momma is our Jersey nurse cow. Whenever she has been bred to a black bull the calves are born this color and then turn coal black with the exception of a lighter color around the nose. If this little half dairy heifer is a hint of what the full beef versions will turn out to be like I will be pretty happy.

Here is Mom the nurse cow. She is producing so much milk we had to buy another Jersey bull calf to graft on to her to keep her milked down.
1229081647.jpg

Here is the calf from last year from the same Jersey cow. She is now coal black.
P4250001.jpg

Look at the heifers Hoss posted you will see a fine diary animal in the picture and i think thats the calfs momma unless it happens to be a bull or a steer.

Wasn't fast enough but thats what i thought.

Mama has a surprize look on her face. I have a shorthorn holstien cross, I can't wait to see what kind of calf I get out of her. She's solid dark red with a white face, she seems to be getting darker everyday. I plan on breeding her to a black angus bull, I'll probably end up with a spider face, but you never know.

I thought it was either a Jersey or Brown Swiss but I assumed you were referring to an actual beef breed.. :lol2:

I'm a bit late...but i was right. I've seen enough Jersey calves to know she was a jersey cross. :D

Latest posts