What breed and a few other questions

Help Support CattleToday:

greenbean

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out what breed I should get to grow up and finish. I was thinking Jerseys but I don't know if this is a good idea or not? From what I've read, you don't get as much meat from them because they are meant for dairy. Half of them will be for me, my family, and friends, the other half will be sold. Right now we're only looking to start with a few, maybe 4-8 or somewhere around that area. I have access to some Jersey steers, ages ranging from 2 months to 12 months. The 12 month olds are 600+ lbs and $400 each, I'm not sure of the younger ones weights. Does that sound like a good deal for the 12 month olds? I also have access to some bottle babies, however I think I'd like to start out with already weaned ones because everyone keeps telling me they die a lot of the time, is this true? I also have access to other breeds, Herefords, Angus, and some others I don't know what they are, I think it's like Zebu or something? I don't know the prices of these though, a guy that lives down the road from me raises them, I'll be calling him tomorrow to get some information on them. So do you think I should go with Jerseys or look for a different breed?

I kind of want something smaller so I won't be as scared to go into the pasture :lol:

I'm kind of thinking if I do get Jerseys I want some heifers, I'm not sure if I want to deal with steers. Well that doesn't go for just Jerseys.

Sorry if my questions are kind of stupid, I'm new to this and would love yalls opinions and advice.

~Amber

Well, when you are starting out, no question is stupid. The only stupid thing is not asking questions. My advice would be to buy weaned Angus or Angus cross calves. We along with many producers ship weaned calves to the stock yards and receive about $1.25 - $1.45 per pound for calves weighing 350-450 lbs. Most of these calves have already been started on feed and will do well for you.

Your going to be better off with beef bred calves . they are bred to grow and finish . You are going to spend less money on feed getting them to finish . There's nothing to worry about with steers , they are just like any other cattle how you handle them and act around them makes all the difference . Start them in a small pen and bring their grain in a bucket and put it in a feed bunk . If the calves aren't bunk broke and go right to feed , quietly herd the calve to the bunk , when they stick their noses in and start to eat , just back off abit and stand there for a little bit . Do that for a couple of days and those calves will start meeting you at the gate . Keep the dogs out of the pen . The least amount of distractions and chances of you raising your voice the better off you'll be.

and for cryin out loud please make sure they are Angus cuz everything else is just plain crap.

I don't know how true it is but I have heard that even though you don't get as much meat from them, jersey and holstein beef is mighty tasty. I am guessing these folks know a lot more about raising beef then I do as I am a cow\calf man but I thought I would just throw that out there.

The director of the Agriculture Center in Lenoir called me back yesterday (I had called looking for some breeders earlier) and answered a lot of my questions. He also said Jersey meat was some mighty tastey meat :lol: He wants me to go to some Cattlemen's Association meetings, so I'm excited about that, went ahead and marked the next one down on my calendar.

Also, I was contacted about a Jersey cow for sale. I'm not sure if I should get her or not. She's 7 years old and has been open for two years. He said the vet told him there was a shot he could give her on Tuesday, then another one the next Tuesday, and the next day breed her and she'd take. Is that true? Another thing is, he said since she has been dry for so long, she's gotten fat. He's wanting $750 for her. Would yall buy her or avoid her? We are wanting one or two cows for milk, that would be my only reason for getting her if I did.

~Amber

I would run the other way as fast as I could. (that isn't very fast anymore) What he is talking about is synchronization and that has nothing to do with the fact that she has been open for two years. If she is cycling she will come in heat with or without the shots. If she is not cycling the shots could help but she also might keep right on not cycling. At 7 years old and open for two years, she might very well be trouble. Don't take the chance.

greenbean, my two cents: I think you might want to narrow your focus....beef or milk. If you are new to all this, plunging into both is going to create havoc. By all means, go to that Cattlemen's Association Meeting, listen to everything and sign up to attend the next one. Make friends there and ask questions. Most of those associations have educational programs. Find out if there are any sponsored by the Agriculture Center and attend those.

Read mlazyj's post again. It's got some good advice. If you start with a couple of weaned, dewormed, vaccinated steers, at a reasonable price, from a reliable source (Cattlemen's Association contact?), you would probably enjoy taking care of them and learning about cattle. Definitely get a good book to start with (Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle). Stay away from the sale barn (or, if you go there, go to learn and watch, leave your checkbook at home).

Take your time. I'd advise you spend the winter to learn all you can, meet cattle people and get to know them. That way you won't have to worry about hay, freezing water, all the winter issues people with cattle have to deal with. By March or April, you will probably have made contact with some cattlemen/women who have a couple of weanlings in good health that you could start with.

Just saw your question about getting a milk cow -- a whole 'nother ball of wax. You don't just sit down and milk the cow, run to the house and churn butter. Please think about this and read up before you take the plunge!

Start with beef steers cause you can eat your mistakes if you find this cattle stuff isn't for you!

Gale Seddon":zplr5gh8 said:
Just saw your question about getting a milk cow -- a whole 'nother ball of wax. You don't just sit down and milk the cow, run to the house and churn butter. Please think about this and read up before you take the plunge!
Might want to look around for some of the homesteading type question/answer forums. Some of those folks have prety good handles on the milch cow deal. Or you may want to consider a couple of dairy goats.

Gale Seddon:

Thank you for your post :) I understand where you're coming from, just to clear up some stuff, I don't plan on getting any dairy cows anytime soon. I had put up a ad for some calves and the guy called me and asked me if I was intersted and I figured I should look into it just to be sure. I would like to learn what to look for in dairy cows though for future reference. I know it's not as simple as you stated :lol: My grandmother use to raise dairy cows, she always told me what to do and everything, that was a very long time ago so I am definitely going to be doing a ton of research! I actually went to buy that book the other day (Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle) but they didn't have a copy available, a friend of mine that works at the store is going to call me when they get another in. (I have almost all of those books, even the sheep one, I don't even have sheep, I just like learning I suppose haha) I definitely won't go to the sale barn to buy anything. I was thinking about going and watching how they did things though and seeing what I could learn. My cousin goes a lot (he use to raise Angus, sold out, and is starting back up) so I'm thinking about asking him if I could tag along.

As far as hay and frozen water goes, I deal with it every winter already. The water freezing hasn't been bad at all so far this year, watch it get horrible closer to christmas now because I said that :) If we do find some calves to buy this winter, we will probably only buy 2-3, then get more in spring. We have enough hay to make it through winter and half the summer. We probably won't buy anything until spring though, but I will keep looking, if anything it is helping me get into contact with some breeders and people that raise up calves for beef.

Before I joined this group I was thinking about only getting beef steers, but then I was told by some to stay away from steers and bulls because of their temperaments(they talked like they're vicious demonic animals), so now I guess I have that fear in my mind. I wasn't planning on getting bulls at all to begin with, but the steers I was. I'll definitely think about getting some steers though.

The Cattlemen's Association does have educational programs and that's one of the things I'm going to be going for. He also signed me up for newsletters and stuff. He sent me tons and tons of information to read over.

~Amber

dun":34tnad3w said:
Gale Seddon":34tnad3w said:
Might want to look around for some of the homesteading type question/answer forums. Some of those folks have prety good handles on the milch cow deal. Or you may want to consider a couple of dairy goats.

Thanks! :) I love goats milk, I use to milk my friends goats for her when she was too busy to, in return she'd give me some of the milk. I've been looking into getting some for a couple years now, I have a few friends that raise them, however they all raise nigerian dwarfs and I'm wanting some Nubians. I found one breeder in NC that I'm conisdering contacting, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

greenbean":37bx1rix said:
Gale Seddon:
Before I joined this group I was thinking about only getting beef steers, but then I was told by some to stay away from steers and bulls because of their temperaments(they talked like they're vicious demonic animals), so now I guess I have that fear in my mind. I wasn't planning on getting bulls at all to begin with, but the steers I was. I'll definitely think about getting some steers though.

As far as your fears go, don't be afraid of any cattle but don't take them for granted and certainly don't turn your back and forget about them. My experience is it doesn't matter if they are cows, or bulls, or steers, or heifers, or what. Some like to cause problems, others are as sweet as they can be, the rest are somewhere in the middle. The important thing to remember is these are big, strong animals and they can hurt you if they are inclined to do so.

I like to think of bulls as teenage boys. They all have the potential to reak havoc but it's not necessarily a given.

Hey Greenbean
Maybe you need to go a little slower with the beef. Take a look at, maybe fainting goats or baby lambzies. I'm serious, you'll learn, a goat stepping on you is nothing like a 1600# cow. There eating habits are much different also. Before you become a cow expert get some hands on at a smaller scale.

thendrix:

I'll keep that in mind for sure. Working with horses I've learned to never turn my back and forget about anything in the pasture. I've been charged, reared at, kicked at, bit, trampled, etc. :lol:

lynnmcmahan:

Thank you for your post :) Trust me, I know there's a big difference. And I by no means expect to become a 'cow expert' anytime soon, maybe years and years and years from now, maybe not even then.

I would not rule out your original idea of jerseys to help get yourself started. I have raised more than a few myself and you will be able to buy bull calves for very reasonable (less than $100 possibly less than $50). This means you will have to bottle feed them which will immediately make you their best friend! They are very sociable animals and although they will take longer to get to size and finish out smaller than a beef steer you will enjoy the beef and not have to spend a fortune on it. They are also excellent grazers. I did not grain my jerseys but know plenty of folks that do. I would also recommend having the farmer you purchase them from do the castrating and dehorning if you chose to dehorn. That will be one less thing for you to worry about. Good luck with whatever you decide! If you search jersey beef I posted some pictures of some of my jersey steers on this site.

Thank you! :) We're going to go look at some Jersey Steers and pick out which ones we want either this weekend or sometime next week. The guy is only 45ish minutes from us. We're getting some 4 month olds, I'll post some pictures once they're here.

I would still recomemd a beef breed as they do not cost you that much more for a calf. A lot of people start out with dairy calves. You can aways change your thinking at anytime down the road. The important thing is to get started and learn from expenence.

Latest posts