What breed and a few other questions

Help Support CattleToday:

I called a few people around here that raise beef breeds, but none of them had any younger calves for sale. A couple of the others I called never called me back. Some of them told me to call them back around June/July and they'd have some then. We got in 3 Jersey steers a couple days ago. I havn't named them yet, the oldest is 4.5 months, second is 3.5 months, and the youngest is 2.5 months. My uncle and everyone has fallen completely in love with them :lol: I don't think they're going to let me sell them or eat them. I'm not even sure I could eat them, they're too sweet, if they were mean I don't think it would be as hard, but these guys follow you around like little puppies. How do yall keep from getting too attached?

If they're bulls the first thing to do is castrate them, knife or band, your choice. Just keep reminding yurself that they are destined for the table. Won;t keep you from getting attached but it may make it easier to butcher them when the time comes.

Don't name them, make no eye contact, no hand treats, don't pet them or try to make them friendly. You'll still have trouble when the time comes. I learned this the hard way, several times.

They've already been castrated :) Thanks yall, I'll try to not do any of that and remind myself they're for food. It'll definitely be hard though. When I first got into meat rabbits it was really hard, it's not as bad now, but it still bothers me some. So I'm not sure how this will turn out haha.

greenbean":35muddri said:
They've already been castrated :) Thanks yall, I'll try to not do any of that and remind myself they're for food. It'll definitely be hard though. When I first got into meat rabbits it was really hard, it's not as bad now, but it still bothers me some. So I'm not sure how this will turn out haha.

Give em food names. That way you will always know what they are there for :lol2:

T-bone
Ribeye
Flatiron
;-)

My mother-in-law had a steer a few years ago named Sirloin. The best way I know of to keep from getting attached is keep looking at your bank account and keep in mind the only way to make up for the loss is sale or kill.

:lol2: My uncle use to raise pigs and would give the ones he was keeping for himself to eat names like porkchop, bacon, sausage, etc. I usually give the animals we're going to eat names, I guess I just feel different with the calves because I just got them and they're bigger and adorable.

I know this thread is a little old but I was not a member when it was current. :D

I raised some Jersey calves a few years ago. The are not a hardy bovine like a Holstein is.
I found the best/cheapest way to fatten the Jerseys was to give then all the day old bread I could haul.
We did feed some feed and had then on good pasture as well.
The bread may not be the most balanced diet but it put weight on them. Locally we can buy "day old" bread from an outlet. I can get a pick up load for $10. (I can buy a Jersey bottle calf for $10 as well)
A Jersey has a small frame. It will never grow as large as most other breeds, dairy or beef.
At the sale a Jersey here will only bring .42 - 48 cents a lb.
We sold ours to the ethnic market and did alright. Not what out beef breeds bring but better than the open market.
A Jersey/Cross is the best steak I have ever eaten.
A Jersey bull is the meanest bull by nature that I have ever run from.
I name all our animals. When a steak has a certain flavor I ask my wife which one it was?
Visitors give you a strange look if you are at the table and ask if this is Valentine or Spooky.

Again, I know this is old but I am curious as to how things are going.

Things are going great :D I have gotten attached to them and they were named. I name my other animals that I eat and treat them like the rest of my group, so I figured why should these guys be any different? I've had people offering me $400 each for them, I'm debating it though, would yall sell them or wait it out? (I only paid $200 each for them - not including Moe the one with the white, he was $150.) One of them will be staying here for us, I was thinking about selling the other two then getting a few more, not sure though. I don't think it's going to be as hard to sell/eat them as I originally thought, I will be sad, but they were bought specifically for food and I'm okay with that. He has a steer ready for butcher that he's only asking $475 for, I'm thinking about buying him and taking him up to the slaughterhouse this coming week. (I havn't had a good steak in almost a year!) If I do, how do I go about it? Do I get to choose the cuts and all that?

Thanks!
~AG

greenbean":16lgsm3q said:
Things are going great :D I have gotten attached to them and they were named. I name my other animals that I eat and treat them like the rest of my group, so I figured why should these guys be any different? I've had people offering me $400 each for them, I'm debating it though, would yall sell them or wait it out? (I only paid $200 each for them - not including Moe the one with the white, he was $150.) One of them will be staying here for us, I was thinking about selling the other two then getting a few more, not sure though. I don't think it's going to be as hard to sell/eat them as I originally thought, I will be sad, but they were bought specifically for food and I'm okay with that. He has a steer ready for butcher that he's only asking $475 for, I'm thinking about buying him and taking him up to the slaughterhouse this coming week. (I havn't had a good steak in almost a year!) If I do, how do I go about it? Do I get to choose the cuts and all that?

Thanks!
~AG

Greenbean, what you sell those steers for now ought to be based on weight. $X per 100 lbs. (and that just depends on what your market is in your area). You've already spent a lot of money on milk replacer and hay; pretty soon they'll be eating up the pasture and they won't be so expensive for you. You said "he" was willing to sell you a steer for $475 -- you don't say who "he" is. What breed is the steer? what does it weigh? and what has it been fed? Has it been medicated at all (if so, with what?) A good steak just doesn't walk out of the trailer, and then out of the butcher shop! But when you buy a beef for butcher, yes, you can pick the cuts.

Kathie in Thorp":294q81ar said:
greenbean":294q81ar said:

Thanks!
~AG

Greenbean, what you sell those steers for now ought to be based on weight. $X per 100 lbs. (and that just depends on what your market is in your area). You've already spent a lot of money on milk replacer and hay; pretty soon they'll be eating up the pasture and they won't be so expensive for you. You said "he" was willing to sell you a steer for $475 -- you don't say who "he" is. What breed is the steer? what does it weigh? and what has it been fed? Has it been medicated at all (if so, with what?) A good steak just doesn't walk out of the trailer, and then out of the butcher shop! But when you buy a beef for butcher, yes, you can pick the cuts.

I bought the calves already weaned lol. Sorry I may be misreading that. He being the guy I bought my 3 steers from, the one I'm thinking about buying is also a full Jersey. He weighs around 750, should dress out around 450-475. He was on pasture during summer, on hay and being supplimented with grain right now. It got vaccines when it was very young, was dewormed over the summer, that's it. And I know lol I was just saying I havn't had one in a long time :lol2:

$475 for a steer 750 lbs. on the hoof, fed right and ready to butcher, is a very decent price, if it hangs at the weight you think it will. Enjoy your steak! 2 beef bred steers and a Jersey were sold off our place this year for $2.75/lb. hanging.

Latest posts