What area of NY would be good for a beef operation?

Help Support CattleToday:

PATB

Reaction score
Jeanne - Simme Valley Any suggestion on what part of NY to look at for a medium to large scale cow/calf operation? I was thinking of a free stall dairy farm with a large land base to grow feed on. What area's are freindly to farming and low development pressures?

pat

The housing developments in my area are getting bad. Every year we lose more hay fields to houses. The taxes keep going up to support the new schools and other services the new neighbors demand. I am investingating the possibily of selling here in maine and buying 4 to 5 times the land base in NY for the same money. We lease almost all of our hay ground and some of the pastureland and it is hard to make long range plans when you do not know if you have the land from one year to the next. I would like to increase the herd to over 200 head that requires more resources than are currently available in my area. The prices I have seen for dairy farms in NY are very interesting considering the amount of tillable and pasture land that goes with them.

Latest posts