What are we becoming?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
What is the U.S. becoming? I went to the zoo this last weekend with the wife and kids ( had to get away for awhile) Anyway, We have kids with no maners, Parents that are still kids, and it seems like a society full of people that want it all given to them. They just dont want to work, or they dont know how to work, I am not sure which. Then you have Youtube and kids playing guitar hero. :roll:

So where does this lead = I think it leads to a country that is on the way to not being able to do anything for ourselves. We have to import everthing and dont make anything here in the U.S. anymore.

How do we turn it around? I believe it starts at home with ( EDUCATION, WORK ETHIC, HONESTY)

Any one else feel this way? I really believe there are only a handfull of kids that know how to work.
My daughter came home from school and said she had to many chores and that she shouldn't have to do anything. I said fine, We sell your cows, and chickens and give me your savings account and see how far you get playing guitar hero, or watching youtube all day. She is thinking about it. :roll:

To many in school that dont have to do anything when they get home. Chores, I think make your character and work ethic.

Sorry just ranting.

Edited to say :things sure have changed since 1987 when I graduated.

My oldest sons graduated in 97 and 98 the youngest in 07. The difference over those 10 years was staggering to me.

3waycross":35cxlxcn said:
My oldest sons graduated in 97 and 98 the youngest in 07. The difference over those 10 years was staggering to me.
And yet you still see kids (young people) that have a solid work ethic, respect for their elders and are more then willing and able to do a days work (or more) for a days pay. The trouble is that they are in the minority. I just happen to be fortunate enough to know half a dozen kids like that, the bad part is that they're in such demand it's hard to get time for them to do any work for me.

I had to force my son to work daily- he took no joy in it. And I can't count the times I heard"none of my friends have to work", sadly it was true (even out in the country).
He recently got a very good job- His degree was necessary but the reason he got it over the other 250 applicants was that he had the farm work background- He still hasn't said thank-you yet for all the work I made him do.

When i was a growing up doing chores was called earning your keep. My kids had chores and went with with me to work cutting wood or building fence. Daughter had a job as soon as she had a drivers license, my son was cutting firewood for sale when he was 14, with his own chainsaw and truck to deliver it with.

the fact is simple.people just dont want to work anymore.i know theres alot of unemployed people right now.but they could find some kind of day labor job.i hear people say no 1 will give me a chance.but when they get that chance i see emm blow it.

there use to be a old saying my kids wont ever have to worry or work and slave like i did.. looks like it was taken literally

alacattleman":3ns5qfft said:
there use to be a old saying my kids wont ever have to worry or work and slave like i did.. looks like it was taken literally

When my oldest son turned 21 he called me from the Air Force and asked if he could have an operation for his birthday.

Of course my first reply was what's wrong with you.

He says Oh nothing, I just need to get your foot removed from my rear end.

I told him call me when you turn 25 and we'll talk.

I needed six labors not to long ago so I advertised for some help , and in the add I put: "If you have to use one hand to hold your pants up, do not apply." I got one good helper from the add.

I need a worker .
Last one put an add on the local boards in town . "Keen to work" and all that stuff. I rang him and said sounds good , need someone to help out with fencing , machinery , cattle etc but first job was weed pulling in the paddocks. Come round today and you can start right away !

Sorts em out right off. Hav'nt seen one yet.

upfrombottom":4sypjbes said:
I needed six labors not to long ago so I advertised for some help , and in the add I put: "If you have to use one hand to hold your pants up, do not apply." I got one good helper from the add.
Was he legal?

novatech":lznbbn5v said:
upfrombottom":lznbbn5v said:
Was he legal?
on a simular note, why do mexican stick the hands in their front pockets and walk around that way :cowboy:

dun":oxrt9odx said:
3waycross":oxrt9odx said:
And yet you still see kids (young people) that have a solid work ethic, respect for their elders and are more then willing and able to do a days work (or more) for a days pay. The trouble is that they are in the minority. I just happen to be fortunate enough to know half a dozen kids like that, the bad part is that they're in such demand it's hard to get time for them to do any work for me.

You couldn't have said that any better Dun. It is inspirational to see a good kid.

bigbull338 said:
the fact is simple.people just dont want to work anymore.i know theres alot of unemployed people right now.but they could find some kind of day labor job.i hear people say no 1 will give me a chance.but when they get that chance i see emm blow it.[/quote]

I know a guy who came in and begged for a job. The boss said ok I will give you a call next week and have something for you to do. The boss calls and this guy said ( I cant do it today call me tommorow) Boss call him the next day same thing. He dont want to work to bad.

novatech":2gmq2a7n said:
upfrombottom":2gmq2a7n said:
Was he legal?

He was American, didn't ask how many warrants the Sheriff had on him though. :lol:

edited for spelling, cant help it

Friend of mine owns a logging company. He says that when he needs a new crew he has to hire 2 full crews and usually almost one full crew will show up for work. Pretty pathetic work ethic if you ask me.

dun":kyu90t5v said:
Friend of mine owns a logging company. He says that when he needs a new crew he has to hire 2 full crews and usually almost one full crew will show up for work. Pretty pathetic work ethic if you ask me.

Yep but I can say the same thing about heavy equipment operators.
I always call three book two and have never ever had more than one who showed up? About half the time no one shows?

Anyhow I work with kids alot, I dont have the same experience as you all.
I know one girl that is working 20 hours a week and going to school giving the money to mom and dad because dad is out of work.

I have know another boy doing the same thing, got out of high school last year and is right to work (at wally world) making 10 an hour stocking at night. Giving it all to the parents cause of sickness of both parents.

If you want to see bad, its there. If you want to see the truth, its there to. They aint perfect but neither am I.

I quit tobacco because the labor was the most astonishing headache I could have.

I had one family chase me on the phone for probably a year. They'd call every couple of weeks asking if I had any work. Finally, I had a tub and alley I needed to break down and move. I called these guys and asked them to come out at 1 pm.
It was hot, and I swear it was not 30 minutes and one of them was puking. We did get the job done. I haven't heard from them again. :banana:

America has a fitness problem. The military knows this, too. You take fat kids raised under air-conditioning and you really risk one of them dying in your field. I'd really call it a crisis, at least in my area. It is a crisis for the folks who cannot work, certainly. With minimal education, you are going to have to start out using strength and endurance to get some things done. If you don't have that, you really have few options.

Farm work, like you have in tobacco or any labor-intense crop, is only the career goal of a few people. :lol: I don't want that much of it myself, but I've done a lot of it and the other thing these kids are missing is the good feeling of tired at the end of the day.

I

Latest posts