What are these knots on the side of my girl's neck???

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
A few of my heifers have knots on the sides of there neck that appear as if there was something around the size of a golf ball under there hide. These knots are pretty firm and have been there for a few months. I was told that they were from vaccination and that they would go away but they haven't? Any thoughts? Will this hurt anything other than appearance? I really wish these would go away.. :(

When our show heifer have knots we message them. After about 2 weeks the size has decreased dramatically.

SSS Angus":3sdubqr5 said:
I was told that they were from vaccination and that they would go away but they haven't? Any thoughts?
If you are talking about one or two knots each, and they are in the same general location on each heifer, I would suspect that they are from a vaccination (as you were told). They may go away. Products like Alpha 7 tend to leave a good-sized knot that may never go away.

Will this hurt anything other than appearance?
If they are vaccination reactions, as far as I'm concerned, they don't even hurt appearance. As long as it's on the neck, I'd rather have a heifer that has a knot from a vaccination than a heifer with no knot and no vaccination.

I really wish these would go away.. :(
Okay. If you really want them to go away, they should peel right off with the hide........ ;-)

SSS Angus":rvcrd5sb said:
A few of my heifers have knots on the sides of there neck that appear as if there was something around the size of a golf ball under there hide. These knots are pretty firm and have been there for a few months. I was told that they were from vaccination and that they would go away but they haven't? Any thoughts? Will this hurt anything other than appearance? I really wish these would go away.. :(

Vaccinations might leave a small knot. Have heard that you get better immunity when a knot is present.

IM use of LA-200 will leave a cyst-like knot sometimes that will not go away and gets bigger until it bursts. Not very often does this happen.
If it is soft and spongy, just lance it on the bottom, squeeze the junk out and let it drain.

I believe these to be from vaccinations as I bought these heifers from a VERY reputable individual. They all have one knot on the right side of there neck in the same exact spot. Thanks for all of the replies. :)

My vote is for vaccinations. My group also gets neck lumps from their shots. Some are worse than others & take longer to go away, but they always do.

Good Luck.

Latest posts