What are some good reasons to....

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
I was in our County building the other day chatting with our County Sherriff... We got on the topic of Carrying Concealed Weapons and I decided to check out what was required of people desiring to apply these days...
It was still pretty basic, but the one question that caught my attention was... "Why do you need a CCW?
I thought that it was a fair question and I suppose "Just Because" probably would not be a great response...
Soooooo the question is... What are some good reasons to carry?

I travel alone for work and want it for personal protection.

When I out checking fence, pastures, and cows and want it for personal protection, in case I need to signal my location, and in case an animal is injured/suffering and can't be doctored.

If they're asking a question like that I doubt if "Because it's my constitutional right" would hold much water

Because I am alone most of the week over here these days. Believe me, I am no big hand gun fan, but we are going to take the course and get the permits. It is something for us to do as a couple and I have had more than one dum dum come around here. I have found that a shot gun scares them off pretty good, but I would like to have a legal concealed weapon in my truck.

Lammie":1uzrsizh said:
Because I am alone most of the week over here these days. Believe me, I am no big hand gun fan, but we are going to take the course and get the permits. It is something for us to do as a couple and I have had more than one dum dum come around here. I have found that a shot gun scares them off pretty good, but I would like to have a legal concealed weapon in my truck.
Once you take the course there in Texas, do you then still have to apply for the permit? If so, is there a question that asks why you need a CCW?

Just Curious":ai3h821v said:
Lammie":ai3h821v said:
Once you take the course there in Texas, do you then still have to apply for the permit? If so, is there a question that asks why you need a CCW?

You know, I don't really know how that works. I have not gotten into the serious aspects of it yet. I have to get my husband home, first. I bet he knows. You know husbands...

They know everything! :lol:

Just Curious":138tv2iu said:
Lammie":138tv2iu said:

Not the last timeI got mine. But I haven't had a CC permit in the last 10 years - don't carry concealed. They're in the truck.

I have had a CCW for about 15 years now. Down here it used to be if you had it on your hip insight, on your dash insight, or insight on your gun rack it was no problem. Then along came the yanks from up north and started changing things so you had to have a permit to take a pee.

I just went and got the CCW so I didn't have to fool with them. Then they tried to put a stop to the CCW.

Wish they would just go home. :mad:

I think they just passed a new law stating we don't have to have a permit to carry a gun in our vehicles now, but someone probably better check it out before they do it.

jw":37tm9s2q said:
I think they just passed a new law stating we don't have to have a permit to carry a gun in our vehicles now, but someone probably better check it out before they do it.

I think I heard something about that but it was confusing to me. I don't think there ever was a law to carry in the vehicle. I used to have a rifle rack in my back window and never got stopped. And I've been told by the CC instructer that as long as you were 1) traveling across a county line, or 2) going to a range, or 3) taking the weapon to a gunsmith you could carry a weapon in the vehicle.

Here you can pack all the guns you want it a vehicle as long as they are not loaded. To carry a loaded gun in a vehicle you need a CCW.
Back when I got my permit I was trapping coyotes and was always packing a 22 to dispatch the coyotes. For the reason on the application I just put "sport and self defense". They never questioned it.

Earl Thigpen":3476sznv said:
jw":3476sznv said:

I think I heard something about that but it was confusing to me. I don't think there ever was a law to carry in the vehicle. I used to have a rifle rack in my back window and never got stopped. And I've been told by the CC instructer that as long as you were 1) traveling across a county line, or 2) going to a range, or 3) taking the weapon to a gunsmith you could carry a weapon in the vehicle.

I posted this in another thread:

"In 2005 the Texas legislature attempted to fix the old "traveling" problem we had with carrying a gun in a vehicle. The law was passed but local prosecutors were finding ways to circumvent it.

http://tsra.com/index.php?p=page&id=70

Unless I'm mistaken, this year they passed a "fix" to that previous bill that, as reported by the TSRA, allows a person not otherwise engaged in a criminal activity (other than being pulled over in a traffic stop) to have a handgun in their vehicle provided that it is not in plain sight.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/ma ... vel-texas/

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 01815F.htm "

Dave":2qslpulh said:
Here you can pack all the guns you want it a vehicle as long as they are not loaded. To carry a loaded gun in a vehicle you need a CCW.
Back when I got my permit I was trapping coyotes and was always packing a 22 to dispatch the coyotes. For the reason on the application I just put "sport and self defense". They never questioned it.

I think it actually varies by state. For example in Florida the law states;

Generally, a person 18 years of age or older may possess a concealed firearm within the interior of a private vehicle, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Section 790.25(5). Nothing in section 790.25 prohibits the lawful carrying of a long gun anywhere in a private vehicle, or authorizes the carrying of a concealed firearm on the person.

This of course has changed from when I was a kid. You could carry "in plain view" but you could not conceal. Go figure.

I know it is different in each state. I had a co-worker a while back who was from Illinois. We went duck hunting a few times and he always kept his shotgun in a case while in the vehicle because he said that was the law where he cane from. I think the farther west and south you go, the less restrictive gun laws are.

Latest posts